• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Centre Photographs

Oh thanks folks, thats good Osborne is buried in Key Hill. I will save it for the archive.

A cracking shot and I am always amazed at how much you can zoom these old photo's and still see detail. If you zoom the top of the street you can see the base of Christ Church with the awning of the shell fish retailer. So this would be pre the domo of that place...can't remember that date now...89/90? This shot is taken a little further up the hill than Ethel St., which must be just off photo on the right. In earlier times, looking off photo to the right would have given a view of Portugal House, later to be part of the New Royal Hotel. Now a multi storey parking lot I think. Hope the guy does not have a heavy load to push up there.
You can just see the Christ Church Spire...not long to be present.

I've found this photo on the web, don't know if it was shown before. Its a picture of news st after a bombing raid
300px-New_St_1941.jpg

These may well be on here Stephenson Place viewed from New street the Exchange Building and the Queens Hotel in shotStephenson Place looking from New Street with the Queens Hotel to the right othe exchande buildi.jpg

The Queens Hotel on the far right of the picture in post 1312 was the frontage of New Street Station and was demolished in 1960s when the station was rebuilt. The picture is obviously at the time of the building of the Midland Bank 1867-69 now Waterstones bookshop. Thw Queens Hotel and New Street station were officially openned in 1854 although the station had been in use for two years before that.

ham Temperance Hall 1860.jpg Does anyone have any photos or other images of the former Temperance Hall in Temple Street. I have an architect's drawing from 1860 (above) and an illustration off the cover of an unidentified brochure. Thanks, John Ball ham outside Temperance Hall.jpg

site_of_ridgeways_cafe_1902-11.jpgHigh John couldn't find any pics but here's one of Mikegees maps showing the Temperance Hall but it's undated . Plenty of mostly drawings of Temple Row but Temple Street were nearly all your's from your fine collection regards Bernie

The date of the above map was 1902-11, meaning that some changes were accurate to 1911, but some only to 1902

Many thanks Bernie. Google StreetView shows the building now on this site, which might possibly be the 1901 building with a new frontage and without the twin towers. It's frustrating that Temple Street appears to have no images on the Web (other than my own). John

The map confirms that the Temperance Hall occupied the corner of Temple Street and Temple Passage. Unfortunately, my own photo (dated 1963) does not give a clear image of the corner, which is partly obscured by a parked lorry.

That's a lovely picture of Rackhams, spent many a time with my Mum looking at sewing patterns and materials in here. Brought back happy memories of Saturdays in Town.

Great photo Carolina. And what a busy scene it is. There seems to be quite a few traditional retail shops on the left, down to the Society of Arts entrance at that time. But to me, this end of New Street later developed into a much less interesting stretch. In the 1970s/80s there were more insurance/building society type offices at this end. Viv.

A blip in posting

Attachments

• !CEkbTOwCGk~$(KGrHqUOKp!E0Uc5hywYBNSTQoOGqQ~~_14.jpg
    !CEkbTOwCGk~$(KGrHqUOKp!E0Uc5hywYBNSTQoOGqQ~~_14.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 229
  • !CEkbSfgEGk~$(KGrHqMOKowE0fm6Y-ZGBNSTQljqeg~~_14 (2).jpg
    !CEkbSfgEGk~$(KGrHqMOKowE0fm6Y-ZGBNSTQljqeg~~_14 (2).jpg
    1,023 bytes · Views: 230
Last edited:
#1326, what a fantastic photo, bus on left says "Hagley Road", and a full horse drawn Bus. Love the two coppers in full uniform with spiked helmets.Paul

Thanks for this photo Dennis. I used to work in Daimler House right opposite this great little pub and which I used frequently with pals. When it closed I contacted M&B and arranged to get the sign which I then carried home to Hockley Brook (where I lived) with my father at one end and me at the other. By this time (1965) the word 'Inn' had seemingly disappeared. It didn't look very long until they got it down! I still have the sign mounted in the sun- lounge at the bottom of my garden.
Regards
Ivan

Re post # 1319.
attachment.php

If you look on GE today I think a lot of this building still remains. Look down Temple Passage and you can see old construction that very much resembles this image. The frontage has been remodeled quite a bit ago but if you look beyond this, the basic structure could still be there.

Sorry to appear ignorant but what is "GE"?

Re post # 1319.
If you look on GE today I think a lot of this building still remains. Look down Temple Passage and you can see old construction that very much resembles this image. The frontage has been remodeled quite a bit ago but if you look beyond this, the basic structure could still be there.

Back