• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Centre Photographs

Yes Rupert that's strange isn't it? They all seem to be scowling at the camera. Maybe the rope tying trick didn't quite live up to expectations! Viv.
Well they didn't have a lot to smile about did they? I feel so sorry for them all when I think of those times. Always cold, always hungry. no fun. My granny was born around that time and I've heard some stories from her!! I love Birmingham history. I love this forum. thank goodness for it! I do worry though for when our 'old 'uns' leave us!! Who can we ask about things? Jo

I worked in a drop forge place years ago the factory was called Winn Timmins and they made hand tools , pliers and grips etc . I think it was in Commercial Street but I'm not sure certainly somewhere close , they traded under Heart Brand , I wonder if this was the same Winn
I worked in Commercial Street in 1983 at a place called FAMEGO Fancy Metal Goods and the drive way and yard were filled with pliers to fill out the concrete I wonder if it was the same place ? It had an archway and a big wooden gate as I remember

If you didn't have some knowledge of Birmingham history you'd be hard pressed to pinpoint the location of many of those Victorian photos if they weren't captioned ! Viv

I was quite pleased to find all but one correct. That was the 1970's street one. Well I left the Midlands in 1954 which was before that photo. I believe BHF played a part as I had my memory jogged when thinking about the photos. ;)

I surprised myself by getting 9/9, because I didn't recognise two of the photos
I guessed it was the ICC under construction because I would have recognised the other three options.
I didn't recognise any of the 1928 pubs - I struck lucky with a pure guess.

Thanks Covroad, I found this quiz far nor challenging than the previous one. I scored 5/8 but three of the five were pure guesses.
The only answer I was really certain about was the Red Lion on Soho Road. There was a bus stop right outside the pub, where, for eight years, I caught the No 11 Outer Circle (to Winson Green) after coming out of school (Handsworth Grammar) in the 1950s.

Brilliant picture Cybil5973, it would be good to work out what the other buildings are.

Pugin designed this cathedral to 'rise up' from its poor surroundings and every time I pass I wonder what he would make of the surroundings now. Am I right in thinking he modelled it on a cathedral in Paris - as in the setting? Possibly Notre Dame?

Pugin designed this cathedral to 'rise up' from its poor surroundings and every time I pass I wonder what he would make of the surroundings now. Am I right in thinking he modelled it on a cathedral in Paris - as in the setting? Possibly Notre Dame?
Pugin's St Chad's Cathedral is more usually compared with the cathedrals and churches of Germany rather than the Gothic Notre Dame Paris. Because of the restrictions on the site it had to be constructed in brick rather than stone. The second tower and spire was a later addition by Pugin's son rather than Pugin himself but I am not sure which tower that would be.

Thanks David but it wasn't the design of the cathedral I was referring to but the setting - one hemmed in by poor dwellings. It's a lovely, elegant building and it's so sad that Birmingham saw fit to demolish the Bishop's House to build a road. I agree that it has more to do with German churches than French ones.

David is correct, no connection to Notre Dame de Paris, but the Paris immediate neighbourhood was better than the Birmingham one at the time. It is modelled on a North German style of architecture of some cathedrals and large churches. The Pugin family and descendants played a large or lesser part in the construction.

Thanks David but it wasn't the design of the cathedral I was referring to but the setting - one hemmed in by poor dwellings. It's a lovely, elegant building and it's so sad that Birmingham saw fit to demolish the Bishop's House to build a road. I agree that it has more to do with German churches than French ones.
hi pen i am sure i have seen a photo of the bishops house somewhere on the forum...you may have already seen it ?

lyn

It can just be seen in this picture plus a link to a picture.
Just realised link no longer works - will try to sort it ut,

I think it may have been on before, but this is a much clearer copy than the one I have seen previously. Thanks Lloyd

Back