• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Church Road, Yardley.

Same view again as #169 & #175 on a Birmingham Library postcard 1934. Shows Hardings Royal Steam Bakery & a sign saying Site of proposed Residential flats & lock up shops.

Attachments

• E8287C96-15D3-4674-8276-0F2D703E1A53.jpeg
    E8287C96-15D3-4674-8276-0F2D703E1A53.jpeg
    628.2 KB · Views: 70
Smashing pics, Hardings Royal STEAM?? Bakery. Can not remember it called STEAM, but always smoke around there. Loved the HOT slice of bread you could get from them. Got my hair cut across the street at Billy Haden's barber shop he always had CONDOMS there, I was to embarrassed to ask about them!!!

4th picture the bottom of my road, Homecroft road. Lived there for 20 years in the house with the tunnel to the allotments under it.

I remember that in 1940's the "School Board Man" who called to our homes to check on unauthorised absence from school lived at the top of Moat Lane. Are you aware that one of the pre-fabs from there is now one of the historical buildings in the Avoncroft Museum in Bromsgrove.
I remember Mr Blythe, the school board man. He was a regular visitor at our house in the mid fifties. His wife was one of my teachers at Church Road School

4th picture the bottom of my road, Homecroft road. Lived there for 20 years in the house with the tunnel to the allotments under it.

I'm sure that an old teacher of mine lived in Homecroft Road by the name of Sydney Madge. I wonder if you knew him?

Wasn't there a Beckets dry cleaners right at the far right in that photo, where the parade turns into Church Road. I remember my mum using them in the middle 50s.
I was only about 6 so if this is correct I haven't a clue why I would remember this.

I'm sure that an old teacher of mine lived in Homecroft Road by the name of Sydney Madge. I wonder if you knew him?

Hi,

I remember seeing Syd Madge several times in the Ring O' Bells pub, in the late 50's early 60's.
so I guess he lived locally.
I too remember him as a teacher, but I don't think we ever gave him the chance to teach us much!

Kind regards
Dave

The Coventry Rd - Church Rd junction was a popular place for photographers and this adds to photos already in the thread in #169, #172, and #182 but all taken at different dates. A smart carriage has stopped outside Harris's Drapery and just visible over the roof tops is Hardings Bakery.
CovRd_ChurchRd.jpg

Billy Haden cut my hair at his shop in the 1950s on Church rd before Cov Rd Remember he had condom's hanging up!

The Coventry Rd - Church Rd junction was a popular place for photographers and this adds to photos already in the thread in #169, #172, and #182 but all taken at different dates. A smart carriage has stopped outside Harris's Drapery and just visible over the roof tops is Hardings Bakery.
View attachment 133441
A girl I was at school with used to live in that corner shop in the late 50s/early 60s. Her mother owned the shop then (a haberdashery) Their name was Hutchins. At that time the shop next door was a handbag shop and then the baker.

I have just been speaking to mother-in-law (who used to have the newsagents at 212 Church Road). She still lives in Yardley near the Yew Tree.

I lived at 3 Wroxton for just three years in 1977 - 80. MIL still keeps in touch with David Ward, he lived at 37 Wroxton not number 3. She knew the Horsley family quite well who lived at number 1 Wroxton. (Barbara lived next door to us). She also knew Mr. Hope who was the barber. In fact I don't think there is anyone or anything that Margaret can't tell you about Yardley!!
I used to go to Dawkins newsagent regularly. My scooter was nicked from outside when I was about 11 years old. When I went recently to pay the papers for my MIL (who still lives in St Edburghs Road) the young man in there showed me a lovely photo of Mrs Dawkins standing at the bus stop outside the shop. I remember Mrs Ward and David. I used to see her in Miss Henn's shop, halfway along Wroxton Road. The Dawkin's SIL (Roy, I think) painted me a lovely picture of Yardley Church and the Trust School.

Does anyone else remember the record shop that was on the left, just up from Harvey Rd towards the Swan. And also the travel agent that was on the right just before the Swan. Would have been between 1950-1970ish!

Does anyone else remember the record shop that was on the left, just up from Harvey Rd towards the Swan. And also the travel agent that was on the right just before the Swan. Would have been between 1950-1970ish!
I remember a record shop in that vicinity. A lad from my class at school. Bob McCurry I think his name was, lived there with his family. I remember buying a couple of records from there, "When a Man Loves a Woman" by Percy Sledge and "Concrete & Clay" by Unit 4 + 2. Strange how you remember these things.

Does anyone remember the barbers' shop, on Church Road before the Cov Rd across from the bakery? Bill Haden I think was the barber anyone know what happened to him?

Last edited:
The travel agent was Bill Simmonds trading as W .T. Simmonds he also owned the newsagents next door. He ran it with his wife and they had a daughter but I cannot remember her name. Bill died young due to all the Senior Service he smoked and his wife continued with the business for a while. I left the area in 1959 after living in Hob Moor Road close to the Yew Tree for 20 years. My parents continued to live there until retiring down to Gloucestershire in 1967.

Wasn't that next door to a model shop, I think run by husband and wife by the name of Aldhous? One of my classmates called David Lewis used to call at that record shop every week to buy a copy of the top twenty(?) listings. I couldn't see the point myself. Later on we moved nearby, from Sheldon, and the model shop became a favourite shop. It always seemed strange that the very nice lady that ran it knew her stuff, compared to her customers that must have been 99% male! The record shop became a ladies hair dressers, I think. When the model shop couple retired they converted the shop into a house with a little front garden.shops.jpg
This part of Church Road has been bypassed by the main road and serves the back of Tesco. The white house was the model shop and the house to its right would have been the hairdresser/record shop.

Back