• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Church Road, Yardley.

The #11 went down Church Rd to the Yew Tree then on to Aston and around, used to take it to the Villa games as a kid loved to ride the #11 all the way to Smethwick to see my Grandparents.
I know where the 11 went but the bus in the picture apears to be looping back to the Yew Tree having apparently just come from there. That is why I wondered if there was a short version of the route. That would make sense if traffic was particulary heavy on one part of the route. Having all the buses do the complete circle of the city doesn't make the best use of them.

Last edited:
Spargone, I saw the following films at The Sheldon. South Pacific, The Vikings (Kirk Douglas), The king and I, Davy Crocket and the River Pirates, 633 Squadron, A night to Remember ( First Titanic film), All the early James Bond films, Fistful of Dollars, A few dollars more, The good the bad and the ugly, The Battle of Britain, The Blue Max, Magnificent men and there flying machines, these are the ones I remember, I think they can be classed as 'big' films.
I don't doubt it! Maybe my parents preferred the Tivoli but were happy with us going to the (nearer) Sheldon on our own?

Aerial view Swan Island dated 1950. A trolley bus can be seen on the Coventry Rd bottom left and Church Rd running from the island to top centre of the view.
View attachment 133803
The extensive open area, top left, included the education dept. Henry Rd Playing Fields, where local schools competed at cricket and soccer and The Oaklands where as an apprentice at Wilmot Breeden we played our inter-departmental cricket league matches after work on weekday evenings. The open land stretched as far as Hob Moor Rd and Holder Rd. Immediately after WW2 prefabs were built around the perimeter.

Short workings on many of BCT's bus routes were common during rush periods. The 8 and 11 had many such workings, hence a place destination rather than the usual Inner or Outer Circle full route display.
As many routes radiated from the central, "city loop" as it was known, meant that stops close to the city would be disadvantaged by having a full bus arriving at their stop. Consequently many turned back at Moat Row, Ethel Street and High Street for instance. This meant an empty bus arriving at the stops near the city centre and a quick turn around as they avoided the "loop's" delays.

Short workings on many of BCT's bus routes were common during rush periods. The 8 and 11 had many such workings, hence a place destination rather than the usual Inner or Outer Circle full route display.
As many routes radiated from the central, "city loop" as it was known, meant that stops close to the city would be disadvantaged by having a full bus arriving at their stop. Consequently many turned back at Moat Row, Ethel Street and High Street for instance. This meant an empty bus arriving at the stops near the city centre and a quick turn around as they avoided the "loop's" delays.
I can recall on the 11 route coming home from school in Kings Heath there were several "short route" buses with destination boards reading Fox and Foose, Yew Tree and Bromford lane being most common. Strangely I can't remember any limited route buses going in the opposite direction in the mornings except for those marked Kings Heath which actually terminated at Pineapple Road.

I can recall on the 11 route coming home from school in Kings Heath there were several "short route" buses with destination boards reading Fox and Foose, Yew Tree and Bromford lane being most common. Strangely I can't remember any limited route buses going in the opposite direction in the mornings except for those marked Kings Heath which actually terminated at Pineapple Road.
Didn't the 11 buses that took us home from school start from Pineapple Rd. and "short run" to Bromford.

I can recall on the 11 route coming home from school in Kings Heath there were several "short route" buses with destination boards reading Fox and Goose, Yew Tree and Bromford lane being most common.
As the Yew Tree bus stops for the 11 route are on The Swan side of the Yew Tree roundabout for both directions of travel it makes sense to see that bus turn at the end of dual-carriagway, opposite Harvey Road, that being the only way to actually serve the Yew Tree! Now there is a full roundabout there so it would be a lot easier to make the turn.
For some idiotic reason the Yew Tree site is now home to The Clumsy Swan, not to be confused with the non-existent Swan. [When my dad first came to Birmingham, son of a non-drinking family, he was somewhat shocked to find that Brummies navigated by the pubs. I bet 'oldies' still refer to The Good Companions and The Swan on Coventry Road, neither of which exist anymore. The 'smart' buses call out Swan Island but the Good Companions has become Manor House Lane or Steyning Road, depending on the direction of travel].

Thats it!!! The Causeway Thanks the little grey sells are getting darker. It backed onto the park that was there. Walked through and came by the Old Bill that was a cop shop at one time.
The Old Bill and Bull pub reminds us that Yardley was a detached part of Worcestershire until 1911. The name recalls the buildings former use as a police station and perhaps the Bull's Head, now demolished, just along the road towards town.
obandb.jpg
The 'worcester pears' in the shield and the carved 'police station' preserve a little bit of the history.

As the Yew Tree bus stops for the 11 route are on The Swan side of the Yew Tree roundabout for both directions of travel it makes sense to see that bus turn at the end of dual-carriagway, opposite Harvey Road, that being the only way to actually serve the Yew Tree! Now there is a full roundabout there so it would be a lot easier to make the turn.
For some idiotic reason the Yew Tree site is now home to The Clumsy Swan, not to be confused with the non-existent Swan. [When my dad first came to Birmingham, son of a non-drinking family, he was somewhat shocked to find that Brummies navigated by the pubs. I bet 'oldies' still refer to The Good Companions and The Swan on Coventry Road, neither of which exist anymore. The 'smart' buses call out Swan Island but the Good Companions has become Manor House Lane or Steyning Road, depending on the direction of travel].

I have to give directions to my husband by the pubs when I am trying to tell him where something has happened or where he has to go for an appointment etc :rolleyes: he can never remember names of roads.

Len, the house that your friend George Hardy lived, is still there! It was called The Shrubbery. Now the back is obscured by the carpet shop, Ray's Wallpapers and an opticians but if you come up Croft Road and into Newcroft you can see the house. (MIL lives in Newcroft). She tells me that Tullets was a Boot Repairer in Church Road, Mr Hope, the hairdresser, up near the bike shop and Alf Holloway had the hardware store which is where the Citizens Advice Bureau was but I think has now been turned back into a house. Next door to the shop that was Mr Holloway's was a "antique" shop owned by a welsh man and his daughter. Do you remember the Dawkins Newsagents, they owned the shop from 1944 to 1973.

I am touched that someone has remembered my father, Alfred Holloway. May I share my memories of this stretch of Church road, Yardley in the 1950s-60s.

On the northern corner of Wroxton road at 228 Church road there was a very nice grocers shop. It always seemed cool and fresh. Cheese was cut and wrapped in grease-proof paper and all around the outside of L shaped counter were large, square metal tins containing loose biscuits (plus one for broken ones).

On the opposite corner at 226 was 'Christine’s' a ladies hairdresser. I think she was of Italian extraction and reminded me of the actress Miriam Carlin. The salon was full of mail order catalogues as she was an agent for them. In those days, these salons had substantial net curtains so that men could not see in!

212 was Mr Dawkins newsagents shop. It was not a shop on the 1939 ‘census’ so he must have converted it. He was a kindly man and as a purveyor of sweets, comics, ice-cream and fireworks, was an important figure in a child’s life. He had a very glamorous wife and daughter. When the latter married and bought a house nearby, her living room décor was so original it featured in the Birmingham Mail.

At 210 was a charming, elderly widow called Mrs Green.

208 is where I first lived and where my parents lived from 1938 – 1953. 208 and 210 were converted into one house in the 1960s or 70s.

Glynn Vaughn (d.1980) lived at 204 but also had a residence somewhere in Wales and always had a sheep dog with him. For many years he ran 204 as a barber’s shop before changing to antique dealing. His wife died when his daughter, my friend Carol was quite small. In the back garden he kept many hens. Carol was a buyer for Rackhams department store before moving into selling vintage jewellery at 204.

202 was the third shop in the row and was a greengrocer run by Bert and Lillian Edmunds. They had demolished the ground floor front wall and had replaced it with shutters so they could spread out their wares. They sold fresh fish on Fridays.

In the first house next to them at 200 was an elderly widow: Mrs Harper.

202 and 204 were converted into a Citizens’ Advice Bureau in the 1980s or thereabouts which was opened by the Princess Anne. My cousin, a CAB volunteer witnessed the event. These are now houses once again (as is 206) but have lost their bay windows.

Going back to 206; my great grandparents and grandparents rented the house next door while waiting for 206 to be built (as a house, called Ferndale) which was between say 1903 – 1908. My father was born there in 1908. It was then in countryside and in the county of Worcestershire but under the jurisdiction of Solihull council (Warwickshire). There were fields opposite down to Stoney lane and I am told that one could walk directly across fields to Sheldon church. I think these Edwardian houses were built on former farm land as there was (still is probably) the back of a large barn at the end of our garden. Early on, my paternal grandmother, Matilda used the front room for her dressmaking/ladies’ tailoring business (my then infant father remembered wealthy customers arriving in horse drawn carriages) but later converted the room into a ‘fancy goods’ and records shop and from that it developed into hardware. My father took over and built up the business after she died in 1953. We moved in to 206 and he and my mother Florence spent the rest of their lives there.

I am touched that someone has remembered my father, Alfred Holloway. May I share my memories of this stretch of Church road, Yardley in the 1950s-60s.

On the northern corner of Wroxton road at 228 Church road there was a very nice grocers shop. It always seemed cool and fresh. Cheese was cut and wrapped in grease-proof paper and all around the outside of L shaped counter were large, square metal tins containing loose biscuits (plus one for broken ones).

On the opposite corner at 226 was 'Christine’s' a ladies hairdresser. I think she was of Italian extraction and reminded me of the actress Miriam Carlin. The salon was full of mail order catalogues as she was an agent for them. In those days, these salons had substantial net curtains so that men could not see in!

212 was Mr Dawkins newsagents shop. It was not a shop on the 1939 ‘census’ so he must have converted it. He was a kindly man and as a purveyor of sweets, comics, ice-cream and fireworks, was an important figure in a child’s life. He had a very glamorous wife and daughter. When the latter married and bought a house nearby, her living room décor was so original it featured in the Birmingham Mail.

At 210 was a charming, elderly widow called Mrs Green.

208 is where I first lived and where my parents lived from 1938 – 1953. 208 and 210 were converted into one house in the 1960s or 70s.

Glynn Vaughn (d.1980) lived at 204 but also had a residence somewhere in Wales and always had a sheep dog with him. For many years he ran 204 as a barber’s shop before changing to antique dealing. His wife died when his daughter, my friend Carol was quite small. In the back garden he kept many hens. Carol was a buyer for Rackhams department store before moving into selling vintage jewellery at 204.

202 was the third shop in the row and was a greengrocer run by Bert and Lillian Edmunds. They had demolished the ground floor front wall and had replaced it with shutters so they could spread out their wares. They sold fresh fish on Fridays.

202 and 204 were converted into a Citizens’ Advice Bureau in the 1980s or thereabouts which was opened by the Princess Anne. My cousin, a CAB volunteer witnessed the event. These are now houses once again (as is 206) but have lost their bay windows.

Going back to 206; my great grandparents and grandparents rented the house next door while waiting for 206 to be built (as a house, called Ferndale) which was between say 1903 – 1908. My father was born there in 1908. It was then in countryside and in the county of Worcestershire but under the jurisdiction of Solihull council (Warwickshire). There were fields opposite down to Stoney lane and I am told that one could walk directly across fields to Sheldon church. I think these Edwardian houses were built on former farm land as there was (still is probably) the back of a large barn at the end of our garden. Early on, my paternal grandmother, Matilda used the front room for her dressmaking/ladies’ tailoring business (my then infant father remembered wealthy customers arriving in horse drawn carriages) but later converted the room into a ‘fancy goods’ and records shop and from that it developed into hardware. My father took over and built up the business after she died in 1953. We moved in to 206 and he and my mother Florence spent the rest of their lives there.
Excellent post, well done.

Susan, I remember Mrs Harper from 1969 to 1970, a kindly lady.
She used to lodge girl students from the Edgbaston teachers training college in Westbourne Rd, during there one year annex at Silvermere school, Sheldon at that time.
I was going out with a girl student at that time and went to her house many times in my Morris Minor to pick my girlfriend up for a night out, and then drop her back.
On one occasion whilst giving her a good night kiss outside No 200 a police car pulled up and tapped on the steamed up windows, it was winter! He asked me to do my conuggling in one of the side streets, not on the main road!!!

Susan, I remember Mrs Harper from 1969 to 1970, a kindly lady.
She used to lodge girl students from the Edgbaston teachers training college in Westbourne Rd, during there one year annex at Silvermere school, Sheldon at that time.
I was going out with a girl student at that time and went to her house many times in my Morris Minor to pick my girlfriend up for a night out, and then drop her back.
On one occasion whilst giving her a good night kiss outside No 200 a police car pulled up and tapped on the steamed up windows, it was winter! He asked me to do my conuggling in one of the side streets, not on the main road!!!

Quite right too, Elmdon Boy! You see, you just can't get that standard of policing anymore.

Actually, I enjoyed your amusing post, however I am afraid that this may be a case of mistaken identity. Mrs Ada Harper nee Trevor who lived at 200 Church road was born 1878 and died 1968 aged 90. Incidentally, she had a number of interesting ancestors including those who ran the Garrison Tavern in Garrison Lane, Birmingham (of Peaky Blinders notoriety) and its adjacent bakery from the 1860s - 1890s. It was often mentioned in the local papers during that time. Ada even worked there herself for a while as a young girl. Another ancestor was David Trevor 1828 - 1916 aka the celebrated ventriloquist Professor Trevori who is discussed elsewhere on this web site.

So, where did 'your' Mrs Harper live?

Susan

I was interested to read your post on Church Road.

My mother in law is the daughter you mention who was the daughter of the newsagent at 212. He bought a house on the corner of Blakemere Avenue and Church Road. Margaret (Mother in Law) married and moved to Newcroft Grove (where she still lives). I lived at number 3 Wroxton for a while and remember My Vaughn, also the shop close by (maybe next door) that sold hardware and odd bits and pieces. I also remember being able to shop at the Yew Tree and buy almost anything we needed as there was a good assortment of shops - this was in the 1970's. m Now there only seems to be charity shops, phone shops and the dreaded Wetherspoons! I don;t live in Birmingham now but visit regularly, in fact I will be there this week-end.

Susan

My mother in law is the daughter you mention who was the daughter of the newsagent at 212. He bought a house on the corner of Blakemere Avenue and Church Road. Margaret (Mother in Law) married and moved to Newcroft Grove (where she still lives). I lived at number 3 Wroxton for a while and remember My Vaughn, also the shop close by (maybe next door) that sold hardware and odd bits and pieces. I also remember being able to shop at the Yew Tree and buy almost anything we needed as there was a good assortment of shops - this was in the 1970's. m Now there only seems to be charity shops, phone shops and the dreaded Wetherspoons! I don;t live in Birmingham now but visit regularly, in fact I will be there this week-end.

Hello Sue,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I knew it was Newcroft Grove. I just about remember when that road was built. Before that (when I was young) there was a large mansion house on the site of where the the Yew Tree shopping centre is now which had a front garden with mature trees and went right down to a narrow pavement on Church road. Newcroft road was built on its back garden, so you can get an idea of the scale of it. I wonder who lived there? My parents were upset to see the house go. Where Weatherspoons is now they originally opened a Woolworths and I think there were council flats above the shops.

At that time Princess Margaret was young and glamorous and I used to think that your mother in law Margaret looked like her. Is my memory serving me correctly? Has her sitting room still retained its decorative theme?

Yes, there were some good shops in the Yew Tree area then: a butcher, a knitting wool and lingerie shop which had many pretty things, a seed merchant, a school uniform and household linens shop along with an electrical goods shop opposite the bank. Plus some others on the opposite side of the road past the Yew Tree pub such as Allsop's chemist, an artists' materials shop which sold Lakeland pencils and round the various corners, a fish and chip shop in Stoney lane and a baby wear and lingerie shop in Hob Moor road. On the other side of Stoney lane was the area's only supermarket - the Co-op which had one of those strange vacuum payment contraptions of the time that whisked money in a container up to the cashier's office. How sad to hear that it has changed so much.

When my father was a child and it was countryside, there was a large pond on the northern corner of Church road and Yew Tree lane where there appears to be an estate agent now. Even years after it was paved over he noticed that after rain, water still wants to settle there and the latest Street View image supports that. There used to be a milk dispensing machine on that corner too when Milk Bars were 'all the rage'.

Thanks to both Sues for their detailed accounts of Church Rd by the Yew Tree. I knew it as an interchange, where I transferred from No 11 to 15B to get home from school. Later where I caught(sometimes!) the coach to work in Hockley Heath. It was where I played cricket at Marlboro CC just a little way down Stoney Lane. Haven't been there for years. Inspired to have a play on Google Map, much I still recognize equally much I didn't. Had a look on C19 map and found that Croft Rd was Moses Lane, I never knew that.

Susan D - I think the house you mentioned is still there! It was called The Shrubbery. If you go up Newcroft it is on the left. Unfortunately the front has changed a lot. When we visit MIL we park over the road at the back of the place. I still have reels of cotton I bought from Woolworths at the Yew Tree. There used to be a "Off Licence" (I think it's a charity shop now) a friend of mine used to be manageress there and lived in the flat above which is accessed from Newcroft.

I remember the knitting shop as I used to get wool from there, also Brodericks the hardware shop that used to be at the end of the row. My mom bought a book case from the furniture shop that used to be just on the right in Hob Moor Road.

MIL's brother lives very close to the old shop in Church Road. You may remember him - Robert. MIL's house is still exactly the same as the photos that were taken for the Evening Mail all those years ago. She actually remarried my husband's father in 1970 but has lived in the same house since it was built around 1956. She always tells me how she measured the windows when they were laying outside before they had been installed int he house! It was FIL who actually did all that work in the house. He was an electrician and instead of having central lights, he installed lots of wall lights. He did not want to channel the walls so put up those false beams instead (he spent a lot of time in the Ring O' Bells, that's probably where he got his ideas from!)

I will tell her I have seen your posts and maybe print out your memories of Church Road. I know she will remember your family as she still remembers what newspapers everyone used to have delivered from the shop.

Forgot to say that if it is The Shubbery, you wondered who may have lived there. Well I have looked at census returns and compiled as much as I can, a family tree, I cannot remember the name just now, but I do remember that the Head of the house was a Stationer.

]

Susan

I lived with my husband and two boys at 46, Croft Road, this was opposite Wroxton Road. This was in the seventies.

Susan D - I think the house you mentioned is still there! It was called The Shrubbery. If you go up Newcroft it is on the left. Unfortunately the front has changed a lot. When we visit MIL we park over the road at the back of the place. I still have reels of cotton I bought from Woolworths at the Yew Tree. There used to be a "Off Licence" (I think it's a charity shop now) a friend of mine used to be manageress there and lived in the flat above which is accessed from Newcroft.

I remember the knitting shop as I used to get wool from there, also Brodericks the hardware shop that used to be at the end of the row. My mom bought a book case from the furniture shop that used to be just on the right in Hob Moor Road.
Here is a photo of the Shrubbery House.

MIL's brother lives very close to the old shop in Church Road. You may remember him - Robert. MIL's house is still exactly the same as the photos that were taken for the Evening Mail all those years ago. She actually remarried my husband's father in 1970 but has lived in the same house since it was built around 1956. She always tells me how she measured the windows when they were laying outside before they had been installed int he house! It was FIL who actually did all that work in the house. He was an electrician and instead of having central lights, he installed lots of wall lights. He did not want to channel the walls so put up those false beams instead (he spent a lot of time in the Ring O' Bells, that's probably where he got his ideas from!)

I will tell her I have seen your posts and maybe print out your memories of Church Road. I know she will remember your family as she still remembers what newspapers everyone used to have delivered from the shop.

Attachments

• E1F46103-9104-40E2-9DB4-09A89D8D16FE.jpeg
    E1F46103-9104-40E2-9DB4-09A89D8D16FE.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 42
Quite right too, Elmdon Boy! You see, you just can't get that standard of policing anymore.

Actually, I enjoyed your amusing post, however I am afraid that this may be a case of mistaken identity. Mrs Ada Harper nee Trevor who lived at 200 Church road was born 1878 and died 1968 aged 90. Incidentally, she had a number of interesting ancestors including those who ran the Garrison Tavern in Garrison Lane, Birmingham (of Peaky Blinders notoriety) and its adjacent bakery from the 1860s - 1890s. It was often mentioned in the local papers during that time. Ada even worked there herself for a while as a young girl. Another ancestor was David Trevor 1828 - 1916 aka the celebrated ventriloquist Professor Trevori who is discussed elsewhere on this web site.

So, where did 'your' Mrs Harper live?
Quite right Susan, a case of mistaken identity. I've racked my brains and the lady in question was a Mrs Hooper.
She lived further down Church Road at either No 117 or 121, so on the other side of the road in one of the bay windowed semis opposite Yardley school.

Attached is an official picture of a celebratory street party on Wroxon road, Yardley taken on 2nd June 1953, the day of the Queen's coronation. I have posted it in the hope that some of you can identify the children in it please.

It was held for the children not only of Wroxton road but also those living in the adjacent streets. It is taken outside numbers 22 and 24. (I note that none of the houses still have their original doors now). There were tables set out on the street and the usual children's favourites served: jelly, ice-cream, cakes etc. Each child received a commemorative cup and saucer and I think a box of soaps. It seems well organised. There appears to be a nurse on hand (on the right) and the stepped stand had been built so that nobody would be left out of the picture.

Apart from myself, the only child I recognise is the little girl in the centre front row with a line of white buttons going down her dress. Her name was Kathleen and her mother was Mary but I do not know the surname. They lived in Wroxton road near Church road on the evens side.

Can you help me out? Are you in it?

Wroxton Road 2.6.1953.jpg

Last edited:
Susan

Sue, I have posted a picture taken in Wroxton road in 1953. Perhaps your mother in law can help out identifying some of the people in it?

Susan

Back