• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Children of William Foden

There's a George Frederick Foden b1862 Perry Barr listed in the Shenstone parish (possibly Stonall) in 1901 & 1911 with family. He is listed as a farmer.

There's a George Frederick Foden b1862 Perry Barr listed in the Shenstone parish (possibly Stonall) in 1901 & 1911 with family. He is listed as a farmer.
From newspaper cutting, Bull's Head Landlord was a W G Foden, so we should be looking for a W.George Foden in Shenstone 1901 to 1911.William George, son of William F 1830 and Eliza Horton 1824 seems a fit.From 1901 and 1911 William G Foden is at Bull's Head, Occupation Farmer and Lic Vict.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
From newspaper cutting, Bull's Head Landlord was a W G Foden, so we should be looking for a W.George Foden in Shenstone 1901 to 1911.William George, son of William F 1830 and Eliza Horton 1824 seems a fit.From 1901 and 1911 William G Foden is at Bull's Head, Occupation Farmer and Lic Vict.
William George Foden 1857-1921 is at the Bulls Head 1911 until his death.

Last edited:
1911 own account, Gainsborough Hill Farm.
George F is the grandson of Caleb Foden

Attaching John E W Foden-Barnes Royal Australian Naval Reserve Record.I'm informed by a friend in Perth, WA that his address, 11, Cooper Street, Nedlands, was and still is in the most exclusive area around Perth.Number 20 selling for AUSD 1.6 Million in 2019.

Attachments

• Foden-Barnes John Aus Navy record.jpg
    Foden-Barnes John Aus Navy record.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 6
The Marriage of Harry Spencer to Emma E Williams 31 Oct 1878.ie The first time around.Note father and son's occupation is Lapidary.I guess these skills were in demand out in South Africa.

Attachments

• Marr Spencer H=Williams E.jpg
    Marr Spencer H=Williams E.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 5
The Marriage of Harry Spencer to Emma E Williams 31 Oct 1878.ie The first time around.Note father and son's occupation is Lapidary.I guess these skills were in demand out in South Africa.
On the Naval record at the bottom, it gives his name + "Jew". So it probably ties in with his family being in the gemstone business and why he went to S.A.

A Lapidary is a Cutter,Polisher and Engraver of Gems.All I know about Charles Lawrence is from a previous message that he Married Margaret Foden.

What is the evidence to show that Elizabeth Wells, 12 Aug 1805, Mother of William Foden, was from Edgbaston prior to marrying Caleb?From Aston Bapts, "Elizabeth dau of Joseph and Mary Wells, Erdington".
And "Calib, son of John and Sarah Foden, Aston"
From CofE Marriages and Banns, Edgbaston, both Caleb and Elizabeth are described as "of this Parish".
Isn't this simply a mistake and neither were of Edgbaston Parish?

My understanding is that parishes on marriages relate to where you are living at the time not where you were born.

So, theoretically they both could have been living and working in the parish then, though I think there were few checks and people were not above the odd lie.

I think it was easier/quicker to marry if you were both living in the same parish, something to do with banns maybe.

Hi what is a lapidary,is charles lawrence the family that took over a few of the farms.
Afraid I don't know much about the Lawrence family, if they took over other farms, ref #226, after 1911 Blakelands farm. They don't seem be connected to Charles Lawrence born 1870 (in Notts) the school teacher who married Margaret Foden.

Of Charles and Eliza’s three daughters, two married the same farmer called John William Pickering of Brockhurst Farm in Hints, near Tamworth, Sutton Coldfield. Mary had died in 1908, John Pickering then took her sister Jane as his second wife in 1911*.

Just as the Cutlers and Fodens had previously intermarried, in the same way Charles Foden gave daughters to the Pickering family, and sons to the wealthy Wells family.......

I knew a John and Mary Pickering in the 1940s and 1950s. They farmed somewhere near Queslett Road, not far from the Chester Road. Likely to be the next generation on from the John William Pickering of Hints....

Chris

I knew a John and Mary Pickering in the 1940s and 1950s. They farmed somewhere near Queslett Road, not far from the Chester Road. Likely to be the next generation on from the John William Pickering of Hints....

Chris
Sorry I can't help much with the Pickerings (and threw out all "non usefull" records during the lockdown Agh!) This is all I have left:
John William Pickering, born Carlisle 1870, married 1897 Mary Foden b1871 from Perry Barr.
They had 2 children Joseph William 1899, Frank Clarence 1901. Then Mary died 1908
Widower John took her sister Jane in wedlock 1911 but Jane doesn't thrive too long either as Mrs Pickering and dies 1916.
However, their elder spinster sister Elizabeth 1870 helps out. I found her in 1911 at Brockhurst as housekeeper and then in 1939 Warwick RD with the son Joseph William .
The sturdy Foden girls weren't as tough as that after all.

Can anybody help me with finding John Foden's wife, Emma Elizabeth Williams, (Born 1859), in the 1871 and 1881?I see from her Marriage to Harry Spencer on 31 Oct 1878 that her Father was a William Williams an Electro-Plater.In the 1861 at 28 Curzon Street, Emma is 2, head William is 27, a Silver Plater would seem to be a match.However, I struggle to find her again in censuses until 1891.
Also, I note that in the 1911 at The Parson and Clerk, Streetly.Emma Elizabeth Barnes(same Woman)has a Nephew William Williams 24, Born Birmingham.Who is Emma's sibling that is this William's Parent?

Can anybody help me with finding John Foden's wife, Emma Elizabeth Williams, (Born 1859), in the 1871 and 1881?I see from her Marriage to Harry Spencer on 31 Oct 1878 that her Father was a William Williams an Electro-Plater.In the 1861 at 28 Curzon Street, Emma is 2, head William is 27, a Silver Plater would seem to be a match.However, I struggle to find her again in censuses until 1891.
Also, I note that in the 1911 at The Parson and Clerk, Streetly.Emma Elizabeth Barnes(same Woman)has a Nephew William Williams 24, Born Birmingham.Who is Emma's sibling that is this William's Parent?
1881Emma Spencer is in household of William Hy Williams in Handsworth.

Have not looked at the 1881 census, but are you sure he was just the manager. In the 1882 Kellys (which would refer to 1881) William Williams is listed in commercial names list together both at the Boars 'Head and at the Old Barley Mow, 26 Northwood St. As he is listed there at both and not on a separate line as another William Williams , it would indicate that both pubs are run by the same man, which I think would mean he was the licensee.

ScreenHunter 1604.jpg

Last edited:
Back