• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Castle Bromwich

Forty years or so ago I picked up this picture somewhere. Forgotten when & why now, but just found it again. Its Labelled "The Smithy", and on the back it says " The Smithy. Chl Brom", which i take to mean Castle Bromwich. apparently it was exhibited at the first Exhibition of the Hall green Photographic society in 1934 and Midland counties Photo Exhibition 1934, and is by H.R.Dovey, 79 High St Erdington. It seems to be printed by some artistic printing process which gives a textured finish that is not glossy, but reflects, which makes it difficult to copy.
Does anyone know where the smithy was? It doesn't seem to be marked on the OS maps.

The Smithy Castle Bromwich 1934photoA.jpg

Last edited:
Looking again at these films reminded me of buildings in that area. My Dad worked at the Castle Bromwich Spitfire factory throughout WW2 and after the war worked each year at the BIF (British Industries Fair) over the road. The photo below shows him, second from left, on one of the exhibition stands.
In the school holidays, I used to go with him and often sit on the edge of Castle Bromwich airfield watching airmen training in Tiger Moth biplanes. Later in the 50's I watched a F86 Sabre jet break the sound barrier with a loud bang diving over the field flying low towards the city centre at near 700mph.
normal_BIF1948.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was a smithy (and wheelwright's) on the Chester Road opposite 'The Castle' - Google Maps - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=b3...=VfC1YQJhP5j_kxBGjHGctg&cbp=12,290.79,,0,0.34 . Though it's not marked on the OS map as such. It's difficult to tell from the photo above if it's the same one.

And I think the end house next to the Coach & Horses was also wheelwright's - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=b3...FIeEkHgTY16peX958EeMpg&cbp=12,324.88,,0,-4.04 .

The building near Whateley Green on johnkathp's map is surely this one on the Chester Road alongside Cedar Avenue - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=b3...M68NWFq9nQbTR5dt_HgrkA&cbp=12,222.04,,1,-2.56 . If it is, it's currently up for sale - https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-24261370.html .

I have a map dated 1886-1902 of old Castle Bromwich. It shows The Smithy a little further south than the pictures above. The Bradford Road was put through Castle Bromwich in the 1920/30s. It continued on in a straight line from where the Chester Road passes the Bradford Arms. This resulted in the Bradford Road passing directly south of The Green which resulted in The Smithy being on the corner of Bradford Road and Old Croft Lane. I have a photograph taken in the early 1930s, which I will add when I can find it, showing what I think is The Smithy as the Forge Garage.

The whole site which included the area where The Smithy was, and the adjacent used car sales site, will shortly become a building site for 12 new houses.

Meanwhile the photo below shows the location of The Smithy on my map.

Further to the above, the demolition work for the building of the new homes is well under way. Today I was chatting to an 89 year man whilst watching the work in progress for the removal of the petrol tanks from the old Forge Garage. He told me that he remembers the Smithy occupying the site on which the old Sonic factory stood alongside The Green. He said he remembers taking horses there to be shod. He believes the petrol tanks were installed about 1935 and they sold petrol there throughout the war for 2/8p a gallon. Happy Days.

He added there was another Smithy at 95 Chester Road. he new this because a friend of his bought the house later. 95 Chester Road is around the junction with Clayton Drive which ties in very well with the old map quoted earlier by johnkahp.

has any one looked at the photoes at morrissions castel bromwhich, by the far end of the check outs and cafe. it might be what you are after. if not you could ask where they obtained them from

An notable event in Castle Bromwich in the 1940's/1950's was the British Industries Fair (BIF) on the Chester Road. Here are a couple of scans from the 1949 catalogue. It's full of adverts for well known Birmingham companies many of them now long gone.
It states that British manufacturers only are allowed to exhibit, and may only show goods of their own manufacture.

bif2.jpg

bif3.jpg

img223.jpgAll
I have with this picture are the words, The mill and the miller at Castle Bromwich.

Stitcher. The miller is named Mr West. I only know this because the same picture is in a book I have of Castle Bromwich.

Terry

Here is another picture from the book. It looks like its the same person.
The book is Castle Bromwich,Castle Vale, Shard End by P.Drake and M. Baxter
Terry

Attachments

• img005 (Medium).jpg
    img005 (Medium).jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 65
Terry, there is a distint similarity between those two, very interesting, thanks.
stitcher.

Wouldn't think it was a Twin Brother, so for me it's the same chap.
Don't think that house that's up for sale was the location for the Smithy found on the maps I posted as it is much nearer the big old house between where Cedar Avenue is and the Bradford. Come to think of it, I'm sure at some time (early 60's)
I've seen a line of openings / coach garages like that in CB; was it up at CB Hall? Or behind the old Post Office up near Kyter Lane?

I used to hang around the village when I was a kid. I was under the impression that there was a Smithy across the road from the rear entrance to the hall not far from the junction along the road towards the hill. Does anyone remember the 'Cave' which was under a giant of a tree half way down the hill? The roots of the tree were hollowed out and you could easily get in there and sit down. It was so lovely around there. we would sit on the church wall (my parents married there) and watch the cyclists puffing and panting after walking up the hill.

This looks like a welcoming place to stop off at. Don't know if it's still there. Viv.
Yes its still there Viv. I used to go in there often a few years back. A good pub at the time, not sure about now

Attachments

• coach and horses 2013.jpg
    coach and horses 2013.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 41
Forty years or so ago I picked up this picture somewhere. Forgotten when & why now, but just found it again. Its Labelled "The Smithy", and on the back it says " The Smithy. Chl Brom", which i take to mean Castle Bromwich. apparently it was exhibited at the first Exhibition of the Hall green Photogrphic society in 1934 and Midland counties Photo Exhibition 1934, and is by H.R.Dovey, 79 High St Erdington. It seems to be printed bysome artistic printing process which gives a textured finish that is not glossy, but reflects, which makes it difficult to copy.
Does anyone know where the smithy was? It doesn't seem to be marked on the OS maps.

TheSmithyCastleBromwich1934photoA.jpg
Hi Mike. Have you still got this picture of the smithy at Castle Brom. It's not showing up here. Thanks. Bill

my uncle had his wedding rec there, in the 50s, some one stood up and said lets have a toast!.i thought he ment the burnt bread toast, I never heard that sayng before. dah.
i remember the smithy too on the green.smithy.png

Attachments

• smithy.png
    smithy.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
This postcard is labelled “PO” - presumably Post Office. You can just see a sign with “Office” visible to the left. Photo possibly about 1920s.

FDBFD199-9467-44B0-AFDD-D50A6F4B6B5E.jpeg

And another of the Gables. Viv.

419DE385-8AA9-43C9-95EF-9CDF63449D7E.jpeg

Last edited:
I have just reread this thread again and I wonder if either the Smithy or James Smith is why the section of the Chelmsley Wood estate that lies between the Birmingham road , Bacons End and Castle Bromwich is called Smithswood.

Back