• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Castle Bromwich

This postcard is labelled “PO” - presumably Post Office. You can just see a sign with “Office” visible to the left. Photo possibly about 1920s.

FDBFD199-9467-44B0-AFDD-D50A6F4B6B5E.jpeg

And another of the Gables. Viv.

419DE385-8AA9-43C9-95EF-9CDF63449D7E.jpeg

Last edited:
I have just reread this thread again and I wonder if either the Smithy or James Smith is why the section of the Chelmsley Wood estate that lies between the Birmingham road , Bacons End and Castle Bromwich is called Smithswood.

I have just reread this thread again and I wonder if either the Smithy or James Smith is why the section of the Chelmsley Wood estate that lies between the Birmingham road , Bacons End and Castle Bromwich is called Smithswood.
I grew up in a house on the Chester Rd approx 1/2 mile before Bacons End and the wood behind our back garden was Smith's Wood. The farmer that owned it was a Mr Webb so I have no idea why it was called Smith's Wood.

Last edited:
Smith's Wood is listed as such on the 1888 map and no doubt pre-dates this as well.

Hi,

I lived in Smithswood for 47 years, and Smith's Wood itself was split into two
by Windward Way when Chelmsley Wood Extension was built in the late 60's and
early 70's. The farm on the estate side of Windward Way was Burton's Farm, and the
local Junior and Infants School was named after it.

Kind regards
Dave

Smith's Wood is listed as such on the 1888 map and no doubt pre-dates this as well.
It is also marked on the first edition OS maps of 1834 and 1862 (these are much smaller scale maps)

Another of the Bradford Arms. A time gone by - cyclists stop off for a drink amongst the chickens. Looks early 1900s. Viv.View attachment 149710
This was my father's local (1940s -60s) where he met his friends every night. On our way back from Birmingham one day, my father got off the bus outside the Bradford and when I asked the reason why, my mother said he was going to his church. When we next passed the Bradford, I embarrassed her my announcing in a loud voice to all the passengers "Look mummy, there's daddy's church". Another story is when my father and his friend were late on Home Guard parade having spent too long in the Bradford. When the Sargeant asked why they were late, they replied that they were delayed by two men. "What are their names" he asked. "Mitchell & Butler" they replied.

Last edited:
The first map all the buildings beyond the Coach & Horses appear on is 1916-1924 (not there 1904) and by 1937 the Coach & Horses has gone, replaced by a bigger building.

Hi Pete,I worked at Bacons End garage in the 60s moved away in 70s now in Australia. Just viewed photos of the area in Google earth ,what a change what used to be green fields open land now one massive housing estate. Sorry no pics only memories. Martin

Back