• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Carrs Lane

Firebird, 1950's coffee bar on right.

A comparison of the John Ball photo Jim posted in post #22 with present day Streetview.

View attachment 180534
Source: John Ball photos

View attachment 180535

And the Streetview below shows a little section of road in the middle of Moor Street Queensway that's still labelled Carrs Lane ! Moor Street Station buildings are to the top right of this view. Viv.

View attachment 180536
The older photo brought back memories. When I was old enough to go to town on my own on Saturdays, which would be early 60's, I would end up at the bus stop in Carrs Lane where the blue and cream bus is, to come home. What I am unsure of, is was I catching the 53 back to Fazeley Street, or the 55 back to Shard End ? Either would fit the approx date. Was the big place on the corner, where the red bus is, M&S (or Marks and Spencers) back in the 60's ? I don't remember any of the shops lower down, never went down further than the bus stop. I left Brum too long ago for the later photos to have any memories for me.
Andrew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here Andrew, never ventured further down Carrs Lane towards Moor Street. That's a good clear view of the Town Mills building posted by devonjim in post #29. A very substantial mill and what a contrast with the 1960s road system and nearby new building development.

Thanks also for the map Jim. Looks like Powells was slap bang on top of the tunnel, with only part of the building depicted in architectural drawing (post #14) located above the tunnel. Viv.

Last edited:
I've copied some posts to the start of this thread which covered a discussion on another thread around the identification of bomb damaged streets/buildings. With the help of Oldmohawk in particular, and supported by other members, it was possible to identify buildings in Carrs Lane which were severely hit. These posts are now at the start of this thread and may not have been seen before.

Viv.

Last edited:
Showells Dictionary lists hotels in town, firstly those which were deemed first class. It goes on to list those of a second grade These are described as more suitable for commercial gentlemen, or families whose stay is longer, such as ........ Bullivant's, in Carr's Lane.
This hotel once stood on the corner of Carrs Lane at the junction with High Street, the site now occupied by Marks & Spencer.

Oldmohawks map in post #7 marks the Bullivant Hotel. Viv.

Here are the Bullivant family in Carrs Lane in 1880 - Charles Frederick (and wife- Lavinie ?) being "Hotel Keeper". Viv.

Screenshot_20230530_160518_Chrome.jpg

He died in 1888, probate says formerly of High St and Carrs Lane, Hotel Proprietor. Late of 78 Green Lanes, Small Heath.

Possibly his father was proprietor in 1881, Charles Frederick is listed at Cattell Road.

Our dear late friend Sospiri (Maurice) wrote some memories of the Firebrand Club in Carrs Lane in the 1950s/60s. It attracted some well-known performers.

The Firebird anyone?
Now, can anyone remember The Firebird at the bottom of Carrs Lane? It was an omelette/grill type of place with a jazz club in the basement run by a Hispanic American called Chris Padan. The late 50s were the time when the Musicians Union had just started to allow touring jazz bands from America, provided that a British group paid a reciprocal visit to the States.
Both Ronnie Scott and Tubby Hayes visited the States on this basis.

Chris knew all the visiting Amrican musicians - Cout Basie, Duke Ellington, Dave Brubeck, the MJQ, to name but a few - and they would make a beeline for his place as soon as they got into town. I was a musician myself at the time and got to meet a lot of these guys.

Amongst the people who played in Chris' basement were the late Roy Castle and Acker Bilk. I think it must have closed sometime during 1960 as I moved south to Bournemouth in January 1961 and Chris had by then moved on, I believe to Richmond on Thames.

Extracted from the Restaurants in Birmingham in the 1960s thread.

In the interests of furthering our knowledge of Carrs Lane, I've copied member Two's lovely quality aeriel view of Carrs Lane to post #2. Below is an extract from that image. Thanks Two. Viv

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230530_182309_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230530_182309_Chrome.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 13
This 1960 Phyllis Nicklin image captures the building on the opposite side of Carrs Lane - in front of the lady in the blue dress. Its also visible to the left in the previous older image. Viv.

Screenshot_20230530_184129_Chrome.jpg
Source: Phyllis Nicklin Collection

SteveBHx posted this image of Town Mills on his Birmingham photos thread. It shows the far end of Carrs Lane at the junction with Moor Street. The various views of Town Mills already posted on this thread are attached for quick reference. Viv.
Screenshot_20230530_183659_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230530_191008_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230530_191008_Chrome.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20230530_191057_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230530_191057_Chrome.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20230530_191026_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230530_191026_Chrome.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 18
This 1960 Phyllis Nicklin image captures the building on the opposite side of Carrs Lane - in front of the lady in the blue dress. Its also visible to the left in the previous older image. Viv.

View attachment 180565
Source: Phyllis Nicklin Collection
just look at how busy it was back then...unlike todays ghost town..the hustle and bustle is what i miss most about todays city centre..used to be filled with life and a wonderful atmosphere

This 1962 view should please all those who took the bus to or from Carrs Lane. I notice the building depicted in the architectural drawing post #11 is behind the green bus stop. You can just make out the pediment and windows on the architectual drawing (just below my blue dot). Not sure if this photo has been colourised but think it probably has. Viv.

Screenshot_20230530_163334_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230531_091549_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230531_091549_Chrome.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 10
I did wonder Mike mainly because of the intensity of the colours but also because of the window arches - makes them look like they have heavy iron decorative features when in fact it must have been stone. Viv

This one dates back to 1953. Some older buildings still there to the right, although as already pointed out by Olmohawk, this side of the street suffered much damage during WW2. Some time after this the buildings just in view on the right must have been refurbished or demolished to make way for the extended M&S.

Just occurred to me that there are probably many Carrs Lane views featuring trams and buses out there given the Lane's use as a tram/bus terminus and major stopping point.

That tree behind the tram must have been removed by the 1960s. Perhaps it belonged to the Chapel or stood on Chapel land.

Viv

Screenshot_20230531_110114_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Lyn posted this photo some time ago on the Old Street photos thread. It's taken me some time to identify the building but I've now worked out (using SteveBHX's colour photo in post#42) that it's an entranceway to the Town Mills building. It's the door on Carrs Lane, nearest Moor Street junction. See blue dot, behind the "No Entry" sign on Steve's colour photo. Viv.

Screenshot_20230530_174800_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230531_135033_Chrome.jpg

Whilst researching a family tree came across a family by the name Cassera, father Genaro who was timber dealer and furniture maker originally from Italy who appears to have owned a number of properties in Carrs Lane and Moor St in the 1850s onwards. Advertised for sale in 1870.

Wherever Genaro Cassera lived on Carrs Lane, it seems to have been fairly substantial. Advertised for sale in Aris's Bham Gazette 1870 - Entrance hall, dining and drawing rooms, 6 bedrooms, water closet, kitchen and offices - but it would have needed to have been as he had 14 children.

The 1868 Directory lists Cassera as being cabinet makers at 1,2,3 Carrs Lane. This seems still to be one building by the time of the c1886 map , and is shown below in red

map c 1886 showing 1,2,3 Carrs Lane.jpg

Back