• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Car registration numbers

I'm sure I remember COM 1C up for sale in the Birmingham Mail many moons ago. It was on an Austin 1800 at the time. Presumably pre-Tarbuck.

I once had 5858DH on a decrepit 1964 Herald. Put it in "Exchange & Mart" and invited offers. The first of a dozen callers phoned in the daytime, asked my wife what she thought I wanted for it, received the response "Oh, I don't know...a hundred quid??", immediately snatched her hand off and that was it. I think he would have paid about three or four times as much, as I gently pointed out when I got home from work. But there we are. Wimmin!! (And to be fair, I suppose, Blokes!! - who don't provide adequate briefings).

Chris

I'm sure I remember COM 1C up for sale in the Birmingham Mail many moons ago. It was on an Austin 1800 at the time. Presumably pre-Tarbuck.

I once had 5858DH on a decrepit 1964 Herald. Put it in "Exchange & Mart" and invited offers. The first of a dozen callers phoned in the daytime, asked my wife what she thought I wanted for it, received the response "Oh, I don't know...a hundred quid??", immediately snatched her hand off and that was it. I think he would have paid about three or four times as much, as I gently pointed out when I got home from work. But there we are. Wimmin!! (And to be fair, I suppose, Blokes!! - who don't provide adequate briefings).

Chris

5858DH lives on a Mercedes Ml 320 Cdi Sport

Would be concerned to have such a number plate if my date of birth was 5th August, 1958. Have the initials and a check of voters lists, for any address it was seen parked outside, of would give, any dubious character, the full name. Application for a birth certificate in that name and bingo you are part way to any mischief you want to perform. Unless they have tied things up better than years back and I am unaware.
Will.

Thank you, tali, how on earth do you know that?!

It originally went to a chap in, I think, Cheltenham.

Chris

My first cars, pre-suffix, were HEG125 (1958 Standard 10); 3197DA (1959 Singer Gazelle convertible); 608DOV (1961 Jaguar MkII 2.4); TDH330 (1954 Standard 8); 32WKX (1963 Wolseley 1500); 5858DH (1964 Triumph Herald) - all bangers to varying degrees although some were more respectable than others.

Chris

I,m no good with years!
my first car a sit up and beg ford pop
paid a fiver for it,had to replace the diff.(OOF 360)
passed my test self taught,i mite add worked as a grease monkey in
a local service station in and out of the old series1 land rover breakdown
truck.
Took over the payments on an a40 farina off me dad can,t remember the reg,
that went by the by bought an Austin a50 did ten miles to the pint of oil
bought it from washwood heath road. (OVB 458)
had a couple of bikes 1939 triumph speed twin (FOC 453)
and a Triumph Thunderbird (ROF 379) never passed my test both combo,s
great times, my mate had a mk2 Zephyr 6 (UOK 865) and i have a photo of my Dad standing in front of an old Austin lorry he used to drive,during the war has blacked out headlights (FVP 706) had like most lots of cars we had way back when a35 car and van Mk 1 cortina estate,two ford Anglia,s
lowered and tarted up engine body wide wheels 1340cc Weber carb and lots more. happy days where have all the years gone. regards dereklcg

blimey Derek sounds just like my first adventure into the world of motors first was a sit up and beg and I paid a fiver for that onefew more along the way all bangers I might add as I worked in a scrap yard 18 yrs of age did a deal with my gaffer if a car came in that I wanted then I paid him what it cost usually £2 10d was the going rate then ran it till either got fed up or someone wanted some parts off it and it came back into the yard gaffer got his car for free and I got the use:Dhad over 40 vehicles in three years and cant remeber any of the bloomin reg slol

Here's a couple of rarities - a "1" on a bus. Birmingham City Transport booked all of the original 'JOJ' series, 1 to 999, for buses 2001-2999. 2000 had to be JOC 200 because you can't use number 0 on its own!
Midland Red used BHA1, CHA 1 and HHA 1 on experimental buses in the 1930s/40s.

Heres another couple of 2001, Lloyd. one at the Highfield Road teminous of the 29, and one in Hurst Street. made a mistake, they are on next page,

This subject got me thinking of the first Mini I got when working for Eskimo Frozen Foods Heath Mill Lane.

Why would the plate be on this car?:)

Alf sorry dont know why would your plate be on this car ? was it E F F? :) Most of you will know this reg and the importance of it? 621 AOK ;) and how much IS that worth?:rolleyes:

Most of you will know this reg and the importance of it? 621 AOK ;) and how much IS that worth?:rolleyes:
Without the car it was issued to (the first Mini), not much more than any other 1959 plate: in this case, it's the car that holds the value!

Without the car it was issued to (the first Mini), not much more than any other 1959 plate: in this case, it's the car that holds the value!

Actually that is a 1960 issue as the car was held by the factory for a few months before being sold!

They bought it back a few years later.

one of the most expensive car registrations auctioned in recent years was a distinctive prefix registration; K1 NGS sold in 1993 to an Arab Sultan at a price of £231,000 :shocked:Britains most expensive personalised registration number plate ” F 1 “paying £375,000 plus vat (£440,625) for the car number plate. Mr Afzal Kahn from bradford has it on his mercedes mclaren slr:)

hi ya,guys hope you don,t mind but i,ve found the real deal?
i,ve had a dig and come up with my old car reg,s plus one of my mates and one of me dads old truck.
happy days regards Derek

cheers derek good old regs the pop one was for when you cranked it over and it hit you on the shin OOF:D

My First car was an Austin 1100, reg 748 LOE, it was registered in 1964 but I suspect the car was a late 1963 as it had no synchro on first and the gear lever had a slight bend to it, I believe that the all synchro boxes had a straight lever, can anyone confirm this?

It was a lovely car, I was aged about 19 and it cost me £350 when I purchased it second hand in around 1969, from Wigorn Garage, in Bearwood.

I worked in a BMC dealership in 1962 to 1965 when 1100's were out...and none had synchro on first gear...in fact sometimes...after a few miles....their owners wondered if there was synchro on any of the other gears too, first and reverse were never synchro on them just 2nd 3rd and 4th....the 1100's had baulk rings on their synchros which had been an improvement on the early Minis which had cones, the Mini gearboxes were later added with baulk rings too...there was also a conversion box for the early Minis to make them baulk rings to strengthen their synchro

In the late 60's I built a Falcon Caribbean sports car on the base of a 1938 Ford Anglia (what they called a "Ford Special").

It had the number plate CAB 668. I sold the car. Wish I'd kept the plate. Worth at least £25k now I think.

I have two interesting numbers now:

USU 451 on a Honda Prelude 2.2 VTec
N11 BXR on an 1100 cc BMW 'boxer' twin motorbike (both for sale)

I owned an old wolsley 6/66 ex/b'ham city police car which I loved to death the reg No was ROD 90, imagin how much that would be worth now!!
paul stacey

I had PJV 16 on a Mini, OWP 98 on a Morris Minor & VOV 66 on a Ford Popular:)

Got a photo of all of them

Last edited:
In the late 60's I built a Falcon Caribbean sports car on the base of a 1938 Ford Anglia (what they called a "Ford Special").

It had the number plate CAB 668. I sold the car. Wish I'd kept the plate. Worth at least £25k now I think.

I have two interesting numbers now:

USU 451 on a Honda Prelude 2.2 VTec
N11 BXR on an 1100 cc BMW 'boxer' twin motorbike (both for sale)

Afraid nowhere near that
CAB81E(most expensive CAB plate sold by DVLA) sold in 2004 for £6800 - can't see CAB 668 being worth more than that.
So in a way your loss is nowhere as bad as you thought!

My First car was an Austin 1100, reg 748 LOE, it was registered in 1964 but I suspect the car was a late 1963 as it had no synchro on first and the gear lever had a slight bend to it, I believe that the all synchro boxes had a straight lever, can anyone confirm this?

It was a lovely car, I was aged about 19 and it cost me £350 when I purchased it second hand in around 1969, from Wigorn Garage, in Bearwood.

Hi there

Your car was definitely registered pre 64 as all Birmingham 1964 registrations were in the 'new' format and carried the B suffix.
Birmingham was also among the relatively few authorities who adopted
the 'A' suffix I believe towards the end of 1962 ( changing the suffix
letter in mid year didn't start until 1967). Incidentally I understand that
West Bromwich (EA reg) was the only authority that didn't adopt suffix letters until 1965 (C). From my recollection of the way that Birmingham
registrations ran your registration would be either 1962 or early 1963,
but I'm sure someone out there will know exactly.

Kind regards Dave

Back