• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Car registration numbers

We had a reg 3 numbers and SUE..sold it 7 yrs ago..then last year we were on the motorway and it came past us:)should have seen Tom couldn't rest till he caught up with it:rolleyes::)

I once had an old motorcycle, a Panther, with the reg PAT 23 and I sold it for £10 ( oh my god!!):angry:

Kizzy that is a wounder if only we knew then what we know now eh :(lots of old bikes had great reg es:) check the link from Lloyd earlier give you an idea of what it may be worth:) I have stopped looking as I am still kicking myself LOL:D

Last edited:
someone may have posted this before in hong kong they tried to ban reg ZESTRA as being too sexy ?:D and while I am on that subject some of you may have seen the police type programmes on bravo etc relating to no plate IM TOO SEXY on a small pink car ( memory failing } owned by a young lady from Essex :D

someone may have posted this before in hong kong they tried to ban reg ZESTRA as being too sexy ?:D and while I am on that subject some of you may have seen the police type programmes on bravo etc relating to no plate IM TOO SEXY on a small pink car ( memory failing } owned by a young lady from Essex :D
Yes saw that, plates were present from boyfriend and she had to argue as to why the Police thought they were illegal plates even though they were obviously show plates. Think it was a Smart car made by Mercedes.

cheers nick it was a smart car unlike the young lady:) in brum they would have taken that car off her as the plates were illegal or they would have done if the traffic officers had been female ha :D

Close to Cambridge where I live the owner to this day has 5 aab in the motor trade
and I believe PEN 15,ELV I5 were issued as was 5 EXY both were obviously hair-brushed for
ascetic reasons! Wak

WAK has the Motor trader got it on a SAAB? as for the Elvis one how much is that one worth ...I do remember COM I C think it was Jimmy Tarbuck ? who owned it if I am wrong someone will put me right:D

COM1C was indeed Jimmy Tarbuck's Rolls Royce. I met him one day in it coming th wrong way down Station Street (the bit from Hill St to John Bright St), he in the Roller and me in a Midland Red bus. I shouted "You're going the wrong way!" and he thanked me and turned round (not easy in a car that size!).
The first 'personalised' car number was Bob Danvers-Walker's RAD 10, as he was a radio announcer in the 40s.

cheers Lloyd didnt know that first personalised plate was his was he the VOICE of amongst others TAKE YOUR PICK with MIchael Miles ?:)

Hi O, Yes, absolutely he owns the SAAB dealership IN THIS AREA
ALSO right- Tarbuck has had that since the seventies when cherished numbers hit the
collector's world. Although it is not an old one outside our Tesco supermarket I oten see
H1 EYE- could be a message to anybody!

Who remembers Sir Gerald Nabarro the wealthy M.P. who owned NAB 1-9 on a range
of expensive vehicles Wak

I remember that inimitable voice reporting sports events such as the 'Boat Race' F.A. CUP 3RD ROUND and the like on Pathe News at Cinemas usually with advertising slots
by Pearl and Dean at the local cinemas across the country Wak

Who remembers Sir Gerald Nabarro the wealthy M.P. who owned NAB 1-9 on a range
of expensive vehicles Wak
NAB1fr.jpg

:)

ELV1Setc.jpg
Close to Cambridge where I live the owner to this day has 5 aab in the motor trade
and I believe PEN 15,ELV I5 were issued as was 5 EXY both were obviously hair-brushed for
ascetic reasons! Wak
PEN 15 was owned by Truck racer Steve Parrish who also has 60CK (Cock)
on his Merc ML420

WAK has the Motor trader got it on a SAAB? as for the Elvis one how much is that one worth ...I do remember COM I C think it was Jimmy Tarbuck ? who owned it if I am wrong someone will put me right:D

COM1C.jpg

5AFD4D0C2AC64D4A84DA270E4D8D0.jpg

Now on his Merc C200

COM1C was indeed Jimmy Tarbuck's Rolls Royce. I met him one day in it coming th wrong way down Station Street (the bit from Hill St to John Bright St), he in the Roller and me in a Midland Red bus. I shouted "You're going the wrong way!" and he thanked me and turned round (not easy in a car that size!).
The first 'personalised' car number was Bob Danvers-Walker's RAD 10, as he was a radio announcer in the 40s.

The earliest known celebrity cherished number plate was T 8, owned by Harry Tate (1873-1940), a Music Hall Artist. It is now owned by Johnny Tate of the sugar company Tate & Lyle.

Old numbers are worth a bit now, because most have gone.
If I think back over the ones I've had - CON966, CUT15 (my barber offered me £100 for that, 2 days after I'd sold the van it was on for £15 scrap!), WOH17, GDG326, EX6754, TOH54 (I did have a Mr. Toh after that, but then he found a lower number and didn't want it after all.) and a few others, they'd be worth a fortune now.

GDG326 survives it's on a Audi Q7 S Line

I once had an old motorcycle, a Panther, with the reg PAT 23 and I sold it for £10 ( oh my god!!):angry:
PAT 23 lives on a Vauxhall Astra

Well..... I think the best one has to be ALB 10N (for obvious reasons)

Came out early 1970's (73?)

(",)

Has Doug Ellis got an AV plate? WAKANUMBA
av1.jpg

Doug acquired the number plate AV 1 about twenty years ago. from widow of farmer Arthur Vincent.He paid £18,000 for it but didn’t put it on my car for about ten years. His wife Heidi has HDE 1 on her CL500 Mercedes.
It is his fifteenth Rolls
John Gregory when manager paid 40k for V1LLA to put on his Jag XK8

Well..... I think the best one has to be ALB 10N (for obvious reasons)

Came out early 1970's (73?)

(",)

What about WBA1? (JAGUAR SOVEREIGN)
ALB10N is on a Range Rover and was purchased for £19,000 in Mar 1990

Hi t, Did JG keep it or sell it on after leaving the club WAKANUMBA

ITs nice to see those pictures and to know that some still survive keep on searching there are a lot more with history to go with them thanks :)TOM

Back