• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Car registration numbers

For many years the Mayor's car in Derby RR1 then they had a good offer for it and it was sold.Can remember Enid's brother having the old style Ford pop, three gears, that was LOP72.

Bernard when I got married in 1966 our first car was a Ford Pop' YOH 720 - it was green.

I can rememberonly a couple of my old reg plates. Myfirst car, an A35 van, was LAB 403 (or the other way round) 1963Worcestershire? - and an effluent brown mini RON 40R - almost palindromic.

I have retained F41HAM, from theonly car I have truly loved – Colin my Fiat Croma. I was in tears when he went to the great carpark in the sky – but no one had any empathy! Perhaps I’m just sad. I think itmay be worth something (FULHAM?).

I see Sir Gerald Nabarro has beenmentioned on this thread. If I remembercorrectly, he was prosecuted for driving the wrong way around a roundabout; butsuccessfully determined that the police had mistaken his moustache for his femalecompanion’s hat – and it was she who had been driving. He commented later “British Justice is thebest in the world – if you can afford it!”

Dring the 1950s-60s I had an Austin 8 Tourer, Reg No CEA222. One day I was in a typical weekend traffic jam descending into Bewdley when I drew up behind a car infront Reg 222CEA. Now what were the odds on that? A friend of mine, simply by chance ,had new car Reg COL 1C!!

I recall near Sparkhill Police station regularly parked was COP999 - and afaik the owner was not a PC

I recall near Sparkhill Police station regularly parked was COP999 - and afaik the owner was not a PC

Hello there, tali,

Have you seen Post No. 130, which I sent in on 12th November, 2009? It's towards the end of Page 9.
The next best thing eh?
The post which follows by Lloyd is interesting too; pity my Dad swopped the Riley for an Austin Maxi 1800 in 1971. What a comedown!
He wasn't a policeman either.

Last edited:
<snip>
A friend of mine, simply by chance ,had new car Reg COL 1C!!

IIRC COL 1C and COM 1C were on Austin 1100s in a showroom on the Gravelly Hill end of Tyburn Road. A neighbour where I lived in Walmley, owned the garage with his father. His 'name' was Mac but I cannot remember his last name or the name of the garage. I'm pretty sure COM 1C ended up on a Roller owned by Jimmy Tarbuck.

Hello there, tali,

Have you seen Post No. 130, which I sent in on 12th November, 2009? It's towards the end of Page 9.
The next best thing eh?
The post which follows by Lloyd is interesting too; pity my Dad swopped the Riley for an Austin Maxi 1800 in 1971. What a comedown!
He wasn't a policeman either.

999KOP sadly seems to be no more.

Reading these has just got the old brain ticking again, and I'm sure i had an old motor (make ?) with the reg. FHL301 Forgot all about that until now.

I moved away from good old Brum many years ago but I recall that the Lord Mayor's car was always registered as LOM 1. I wonder if it still is?

As for Birmingham buses, I too remember the JOJ series but also recall the later BON ***C series of single decker Daimlers, many of which operated on the 27 route. They were very quiet and smooth to ride on.

Gone are the days when you could tell where a vehicle was from by its registration as they've pooled them into large areas these days. Even the letter Z which was restricted to Eire has found its way onto British registered cars now. I know as I've had one!

My neighbour, who is a sign writer, has Reg No: MR 51 GNS.

Many years ago, when I was a little affluent, I almost purchased a Rolls Royce (second hand, of course). Fortunately my wife stopped me! She is more sensible than me. I wanted my own Reg No: EH 1, but it was, and still is, owned by Englebert Humperdink. I used to see it quite often, a metallic blue Rolls. I did the opportunity of having a EH ......something or other, but never bothered.

Looking back, I think the personal car number thing is a little egotistic, but each to their own. My first car was MOG 802. I called her 'Moggy'.

Eddie

If i remember correctly A1 or it might be 1A is on a very early Mercedes, circa 1900 and is on display at Tatton Park Cheshire.

In the 1960's, I called into a service area on the M!, and parked alongside A1. It was a beautiful black car, it could have been a Lagonda.

I briefly spoke to the man driving it. He was a very well spoken man, and dressed smartly in an obviously tailored suit. Naturally I commented on the number plate, and it was apparent that he was used to being asked about it, but he remained very polite, smiled, thanked me for my interest, and went on his way. I never found out who he was.

Eddie

In the 1960's, I called into a service area on the M!, and parked alongside A1. It was a beautiful black car, it could have been a Lagonda.

I briefly spoke to the man driving it. He was a very well spoken man, and dressed smartly in an obviously tailored suit. Naturally I commented on the number plate, and it was apparent that he was used to being asked about it, but he remained very polite, smiled, thanked me for my interest, and went on his way. I never found out who he was.

Eddie

A1 used to be owned by Lord Montague of Beaulieu.

I can remember my first cars registration, from the 60's, but I cannot remember any others, even the car I own now. I can't tell you what it is, as I use it in different forms as my password for sites.

If LOM 1 is the car registration for the Lord Mayor of Birmingham, then I was intrigued to know what it is for the Lord Mayor of London. Apparently, it is LM 0. Boris Johnson, as the elected Mayor of London, has the car registration MAY10R. Dave.

My Dad,s no plates that I can remember were -URE117 on Austin A40 Devon, OOX505 on A40 Somerset (Passed my driving test in that one, circa 1964). He also had ABM !!! on an Austin A55, quite an Austin man on reflection. But there was not too much choice either in the early 50,s. He never ever owned a Ford , but once owned a Vauxhall Victor which he was rather proud of.

It is funny how you can remember old numbers but struggle with the newer ones. I have to think hard for my current reg but know the first car I owned was a Mini reg number OOC 740R, while my Dad's first car was a Morris Minor 834 GNX.
Janice

Having a sort of quirky mindset to remember our last vehicle, a Toyota Landcruiser troop carrier which we bought with my wife's settlement package.
The rego was ERV 549 , so we used Early Retirement Vehicle 5+4=9. The clincher was if we couldn't remember that we shouldn't be driving !
Cheers Tim

My Great uncle Bill Finch of Kings Heath had a Blue Morris Minor in the 60´s reg AOE 254, and my Dad had a Black Morris Minor in the early 70´s XOL 773

As a boy growing up in Birmingham in the 50's, I found the most common cars in my area were Austin, followed by Vauxhall, and then Ford, and Morris.Paul

I fondly remember my first car, purchased by exchanging a portable radio, in 1957. It wasn't a showpiece - such as many young people like today. in fact it was pretty down at heel: the main advantage for us Air Force guys was that it did not attract attention. t was a 1935 Austin 12 wit an AYL +three figs London reg.. Most of the electrics and movable bits such as arm indicators did not work. However, it got us most places including some stately homes car parks. ;) Fortunately we were never stopped by the law, I believe because it was the sort of beat up wrecks many farmers, at that time, drove to market. My second vehicle (not counting a Humber Super Snipe which I only had for a couple of days as it was too large for pub car parks etc.) was a Gloucestershire reg MDD + 3 figs Austin A40 Countryman which again fitted in with the farming community. :D A few vehicles later, which included a couple of French cars found me with a Plymouth Reg Ford which has the, then, new "A" suffix. Devon never issued the "A" suffix, as far as I know, they commenced with "B". Consequently many people asked what the "A" stood for.

Around 1955 "O 50" often used to be parked at a house in Church Rd Yardley opposite to the junction with Harvey Road . When I worked for LexonUK I often drove L3XON and deliveries to their sister company Knights Chemist were often in N16HTS

Back