• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Car registration numbers

OtherHalf

posher half
just going through some threads on cars and reminded of two old regisration marks of cars I owned one was 216 R W on a wolseley 1500 which I bought from a fitter in Ansells boiler house and the other again a 1500 was 9219 U E cant remember where that one came from but the reg nos stayed with me both cars I was the last owner of as they both went to scrap:( What would them nos be worth now Eh:)

Last edited:
The only reg. that I can recall was 301 EFL, and I think it was a Austin A35. One of my very first motors. The only reason I remember it was because I always called her ETHEL ( EFL ). Barry.

Nice one Bazz reminds me of the Streak (dont look EFL Too late already bin incensed}:p

Last edited:
How much would A 1 and ABC 123 be worth nowadays or are they not issued?

Your two old cars weren't registered very far away. RW was used by the Coventry Registration office, and UE by the Warwick County office (presumably at Warwick?).
As a kid I knew a lot of the letters by heart, but have forgotten most of them now - it's a thing of the past anyway.
Peter

Lloyd seeing your Glasgow bus put me on to something else have started thread the Nick Baldwin Collection you may already know of it?TOM:D

If i remember correctly A1 or it might be 1A is on a very early Mercedes, circa 1900 and is on display at Tatton Park Cheshire.

"The real story of A 1 is interesting, even though it wasn't actually the first ever number plate. In 1903, when London began issuing vehicle registrations on a first-come-first-served basis, Earl Russell sat up all night to ensure that he would be first in the queue for this historic number plate. Competition was fierce, and it is reported that Earl Russell beat his nearest rival by a matter of only a few seconds. Noel Woodall, number plates expert and inventor of the term "autonumerology" to describe the study of the subject, detailed part of the history of A 1 in his "Car Numbers" series of books. In recent years, however, A 1 seems to have slipped "under the radar", and there is uncertainty regarding the registration's current whereabouts and status."

Oh woe is me 216 R W is not listed on that site Lloyd but some of the other RWs are an they are all worth a few Quid Cheers for the link Lioyd (I THINK?}:p

In our road a person I know has a car with 2PVT -he quips to me it means too private
or too pervert and claims it is a valuable plate Claims it is worth over K3 -Is he a dreamer?
What is your opinion WAK

Old numbers are worth a bit now, because most have gone.
If I think back over the ones I've had - CON966, CUT15 (my barber offered me £100 for that, 2 days after I'd sold the van it was on for £15 scrap!), WOH17, GDG326, EX6754, TOH54 (I did have a Mr. Toh after that, but then he found a lower number and didn't want it after all.) and a few others, they'd be worth a fortune now.

Most definately according to Lloyds link:D:headhit:as to what the plate refers to Well make up your own mind:D

A 1 used to be owned by Dunlop - my dad worked there and I seem to remember seeing it on an Austin Princess (the 70's wedge shape one) at Fort Dunlop in one of the company car sheds - I remember being horrified that such a prestigious number should be on such a boring car

In the fifties I had a TR2 with SKR 508 ON IT AND MY WIFE bought a TR3 A

Continuation

with 888 GJO I expect they would even have had a value on them today WAK

Like all things it is what people will pay for these personalised plates I suppose I am not looking at Lloyds link again as it will give me a headache:p:headhit:

A 1 used to be owned by Dunlop - my dad worked there and I seem to remember seeing it on an Austin Princess (the 70's wedge shape one) at Fort Dunlop in one of the company car sheds - I remember being horrified that such a prestigious number should be on such a boring car

Yes I remember seeing A1 in the 1970's, on a 'modern' car on the M6 motorway, and someone told me it belonged to Dunlop, and the car was used for tyre trials. That plate must be worth an absolute fortune today.

Dave

Used to have 27 DYM on 6 year old E type that i knocked hell out of. My Mother thought that the DYM reg suited my style of driving. When i see kids driving like i used to i realise what a p?at i must have been.

For my 50th birthday (several years ago) my wife purchased a relatively old personalised number plate for me. The company that she purchased it from has since contacted her on two occasions offering to buy back the plate for almost three times the original cost.

Forget shares, forget property - number plates seem to be the best investment at the moment? :rolleyes:

As I have said earlier it all depends on what People will pay Mabz in some cases it is an investment:) a personal reg is Ok if it is a proper one and is displayed correctly I have recovered vehicles for the Police that do not have the right reg or the reference is obscure in some cases ie the lettering is changed.I have known of Officers removing the plates and then the owner of said vehicles are subject to recovery costs so beware make sure your reg that you are proud of and have paid for is displayed correctly :)

Luckily Belgium is a classless society and snobbism is a very rare disease here so almost no one could care two brass farthings what reg you have. Here the reg belongs to the driver and not to the car so if you buy a new or second hand car the reg goes with you, very handy. If you own a reg plate then you pay road tax and insurance, this helps keep the number of illegal motorists down. If you haven't got a car and you want to stop paying tax and insurance you have to send your reg back and have it officially scrapped.

When I see a personalized reg in the UK I go :sick:. It's just silly.

The Belgian reg on my 1965 MG is 'ALV' I'll bet that makes many an Alvis owner turn green when I'm driving in the UK.:D

Graham.

Graham that is probably the better way of doing it personally think that all vehicles should have a way of making sure that the car and the driver are covered our system is open to abuse?:Dmaybe there is a better way ?:) incidentally re earlier Recovery costs minimum £105 plus £12 aday storage:)

Had a lovely Ford Zepher, WOC 547, six pot, leather bench seats, column change, ooooooh just thinking about it !!!

CHUCKA was that the reg or the car or was it what went on in the car with those leather seats ? that makes you drool ;? LOL:)nice reg:)LOVED THE ZEPHYRS:)

Anyone can have leather seats. I made my own for my MG's and it cost me nothing just hours of work and patience!:D

The Mitsubishi I turned up with to the 60's night had a Belgian reg of TLI and three numbers. This was a bog standard issued reg and just a coincidence that I'm 'patron' to the TLI cycling federation of the UK.:)

Back