• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cannon Hill Park

Is the MAC (Midlands Art Centre) still there?? went on a couple of art courses there on Art History and Water colour painting in the 80's, I remenber on one occassion they took us down to the pool to do some sketching, happy days. Eric

stars/Bernie D'Boult, Thanks for info, glad to hear its still going, I believe the courses, lasting about 6 weeks were free and very proffessional. Glad my paintings bring pleasure. Eric

When I was a kid (50 years ago) we all thought it was a meteorite!!!!

I was told that these are called Warstones, I believe they were remnants of the ice age, I think we have a few roads names after them.

My Mother told me that a meteorite fell in Washwood Heath Park when she was young.

According to the Birmingham News, work has begun to restore the bandstand at Canon Hill Park. The asbetos tiles in the roof of the Grade II bandstand are currently being replaced.

Hi ;
have they still got that huge big green hot house and have they still growing bannanas in there
the last time i was in that hot house was in the mid fifties ;and all the surrounding streets people used to sit out side there front doors
sun batheing in the gloryios sun shine days of yester years and they would say hello to you or good morning to you
as you passed them ; people do not talk to each other today ; [ sad ]
enjoy your easter day ; ladies watch out you do not over eat chocolate and whatch your calories ; best wishes astonian

If you mean the large Greenhouses that were there,they were unfortunately demolished in 2008
there are no plans for a replacement.I work at Cannon Hill,so any other questions i will gladly answer.

Here are some photos

Attachments

• 11-19-2011_004a196100%20Cannon%20Hill%20Park%20Tulip%20Festival.jpg
    11-19-2011_004a196100%20Cannon%20Hill%20Park%20Tulip%20Festival.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 31
  • 12-21-2011_014%20196200%20Cannon%20Hill%20Park%20Tulip%20Festival.jpg
    12-21-2011_014%20196200%20Cannon%20Hill%20Park%20Tulip%20Festival.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 12-21-2011_015%20196200%20Cannon%20Hill%20Park%20Tulip%20Festival.jpg
    12-21-2011_015%20196200%20Cannon%20Hill%20Park%20Tulip%20Festival.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 12-21-2011_018a196200%20Cannon%20Hill%20Park%20Tulip%20Festival.jpg
    12-21-2011_018a196200%20Cannon%20Hill%20Park%20Tulip%20Festival.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
I played in a band called the Hykells at the tulip festival on the open air stage, at that time Cilla Black arrived by helicopter to open it

I played in a band called the Hykells at the tulip festival on the open air stage, at that time Cilla Black arrived by helicopter to open it

I can't remember if I saw your group, although I do remember Marianne Faithful and I think it was the Merseybeats also the same night. It was on the stage at the side of the tennis courts..

My bab worked ta cannon hill park for 40 years top and bottom greenhouse and I even rember the old big parrot thay had in the potting sheds down the bottom greenhouse. . happy days

I came across this old photo of Cannon Hill Park today, it confirms something that I have always knew and often wondered what happened to it. I'm talking about the existence of a second smaller glacial boulder that in the time I am talking about was much nearer the larger boulder.

I remember visiting the park one day in the late 50's or early 60's and discovering it was gone. We always assumed that somebody had rolled it into the lake as that sort of behaviour is not a new phenomenon. Only I know the lake has been drained since then and I wonder why it was not replaced. Does anybody know what really happened to this second smaller glacial boulder?

Attachments

• Edgbaston Cannon Hill Park c1900.jpg
    Edgbaston Cannon Hill Park c1900.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 41
I remember being taken to this event several years running, but have a recollection of also being taken to a dog show.
I'm not even sure that it was held in Cannon Hill Park.
Maybe it was a part of the Tulip Festival, but I just can't remember.
Well it was 60 years ago.

Hello Everyone
The Tulip Festival sometimes had something else with it. The festival was a really special event, Did you ever go to the Highland Festival also at Cannon Hill Park. Did you see the Bananas growing in the botanical greenhouse. The City of Birmingham Show was a brilliant show and that might have a big dog show with it. It did when it moved to Perry Park.
The tents full of flowers were in some ways better than Chelsea. At Chelsea you pay a fortune to get in and get pushed and shoved all over the place. Really happy days at the shows in Birmingham.
Best wishes to everyone Gerald.
Garden Gerald

I never went to the Tulip Festival but remember it was always very well advertised. Remember the very long, free-standing advertising boards for some reason. Did they place these around the City Centre? Viv.

Hello everyone.
Vivienne it was always well advertised. It was a showpiece for Birmingham. Do you know that every bulb was spaced with great precision and depth it was planted to. Any mistakes and out they came to be replanted.
I have a little test for you Vivienne, what about doing a plant Father Christmas in the Bull Ring. Do you all remember the nursery rhymes. Birmingham did have the very best gardeners even if I say so. Sadly I do not know what has happened to them.
Did anyone go to other flower festivals.
Kindest Regards Gerald
Garden Gerald

The only nursery rhyme that springs immediately to mind Gerald is Mary, Mary Quite Contrary - but no mention of tulips in that one, only silver bells and pretty maids all in a row. However, I do remember Max Bygraves Tip Toe Through the Tulips. My nan adored that song (and Max Bygraves!). Personally I'm not a big fan of tulips. And I never went to the shows, but the advertising has really stuck in my mind from all those years ago. I can only think I used to pass the advertising boards on my way to work. .

How do you plant a Father Christmas in the Bull Ring? No idea! Is it tulip related? The name of a tulip perhaps? That ones obviously passed me by. Viv.

Hello Viv.
Father Christmas in the Bull Ring
Find a good sized plot where you can plant your Father Christmas. Draw a really good sized outline of Father Christmas.
Cut around shape into road surface and remove the cut out piece. Check quality of underlying material and if not
useable remove and import and spread good Material. Leave to settle slightly.
Draw out on a very large piece of paper your Father Christmas the same size as the cut out in the road.
Sketch in all features and sack.
Now I leave it to you to find plants full of colour to match your design over Christmas. British Tulips perhaps, available in a great range of colours, it would look great. What an attraction.
All the displays in the parks were designed this way but now they are planted into carpet type material in a warehouse, cut into pieces and taken to site and just put in place. We used to work from scaffolding placed over the area to be planted. Those were the days, are you up to the challenge Viv. Used to feel cross when someone let a dog scratch up the plants .
Take care...Gerald
Garden Gerald

Cannon Hill Park. (Picture Postcards)

#1 Cannon Hill Park - The Bridge.
#1 Cannon Hill Park - Bridge (1).JPG

#2 Cannon Hill Park - The Bridge. (c1914)
#2 Cannon Hill Park - Bridge (2) - 1914.jpg

#3 Cannon Hill Park - The Bridge.
#3 Cannon Hill Park - Bridge (3).jpg

#4 Cannon Hill Park - The Bridge.
#4 Cannon Hill Park - Bridge (4).jpg

#5 Cannon Hill Park - The Bridge.
#5 Cannon Hill Park - Bridge (5).jpg

#6 Cannon Hill Park - The Bridge.
#6 Cannon Hill Park - Bridge (6).jpg

#7 Cannon Hill Park - The Bridge. (c1907)
#7 Cannon Hill Park - Bridge (7) - 1907.jpg

#8 Cannon Hill Park - The Bridge.
#8 Cannon Hill Park - Bridge (8).jpg

#9 Cannon Hill Park - The Bridge.
#9 Cannon Hill Park - Bridge (9).jpg

#10 Cannon Hill Park - The Bridge.
#10 Cannon Hill Park - Bridge (10).jpg

#11 Cannon Hill Park - The Bridge.
#11 Cannon Hill Park - Bridge (11).jpg

#12 Cannon Hill Park - The Bridge.

#12 Cannon Hill Park - Bridge (12).jpg

#13 Cannon Hill Park - The Bridge.
Cannon Hill Park - Bridge (13).jpg

#14 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#14 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (1).jpg

#15 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#15 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (2).jpg

#16 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#16 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (3).jpg

#17 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#17 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (4).jpg

#18 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#18 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (5).jpg

#19 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#19 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (26).jpg

#20 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#20 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (7).jpg

#21 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#21 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (8).jpg

#22 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#22 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (9).jpg

#23 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#23 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (10).jpg

So much of my early life is in capsulated in and around this park. When ever I see pictures of it I am transported back immeadiately to a kinder more gentle time in the past.Paul

#24 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#24 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (11).jpg

#25 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#25 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (12).jpg

#26 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#26 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (13).jpg

#27 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#27 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (14).jpg

#28 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#28 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (15).jpg

#29 Cannon Hill Park - The Lake.
#29 Cannon Hill Park - Lake (16).jpg