• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cannon Hill Park

tim eborn

master brummie
My association with Cannon Hill Park, started at a very young age, I was about 3 years old when pushed in my chair around the park by my dear dad, we visited the exotic birds and peacocks , walked round the lake, and visited the pavilion, when older dad told me the reason for the parks name, from the civil war, and cannons were sited there to bombard Birmingham, he told me the very large rock was a "meteor", which I found out later it was't, We visited the river Rae, and the little museum, and we sat and ate "Midland dairy ice cones from the man on a bike. It was such an integral part of my up bringing, as were The Lickey Hills, we were poor you see, so no holidays , but wonderful memories. Paul
It sounds
My association with Cannon Hill Park, started at a very young age, I was about 3 years old when pushed in my chair around the park by my dear dad, we visited the exotic birds and peacocks , walked round the lake, and visited the pavilion, when older dad told me the reason for the parks name, from the civil war, and cannons were sited there to bombard Birmingham, he told me the very large rock was a "meteor", which I found out later it was't, We visited the river Rae, and the little museum, and we sat and ate "Midland dairy ice cones from the man on a bike. It was such an integral part of my up bringing, as were The Lickey Hills, we were poor you see, so no holidays , but wonderful memories. Paul
Sounds as if you had a great childhood. Holidays were often a great disappointment, the memories I have of great holidays were when we went to a friend of the family's bungalow which was actually an old single deck bus with a dry toilet. Other happy times of spending days with mates at Cannon Hill Park that sounds much like your memory.
Thanks for sharing, cheers Tim.

paul stacey

master brummie
Thanks Tim, and thanks to You all, though a poor family by today's standards, the love and excitement created by my parents, and that I lived in such a, (though industrial, a beautiful), city with so many parks, and gallery's and museums, was very special, though I have lived away since my 15th birthday, and am now nearly 73 years, I have never forgotten those wonderful childhood times and places, demencia aside I hope to have them for the rest of my time here. I have always thought how lucky and proud, I was to have been born a Brummie, it was my nick name during my army service. Paul