• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Call the midwife

my wife is devastated, I am sure there was a convent near five ways years ago, either on the Hagley Road, or near ladypool road that did a similar thing am I right, maybe Astonian will know.
paul

If you saw nurses on the Hagley Road or Five Ways they could easily have been from St Chads Hospital, Childrens Hospital or even the Accident Hospital. Julie Walters in her autobiography talks about going to a school run by nuns near Five Ways and teaching nuns are unlike to be nursing nuns so I am afraid that does not prove anything.

Hi Paul, this is a little info for the surrounding Five Ways area.

Little Sisters of the Assumption.

The house in Greenfield Crescent, Edgbaston, was established by 1937. The nuns nurse the poor in their homes

Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent De Paul.

In 1895 this order established a night-refuge, servants' home and registry office at St. Anthony's Home, Bath Street. In c. 1909 and c. 1911 the girls' home here was replaced by new ones opened in Vicarage Road, Edgbaston, and Gravelly Hill, Erdington. The sisters left in central Birmingham were engaged in general parochial work. They moved to Shadwell Street in c. 1911, though the night shelter in Bath Street remained open for some years. By 1954 the Shadwell Street and Vicarage Road houses were closed, but there were Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul at St. Philip's boys' home, Edgbaston

Sisters of the Holy Child Jesus.

The Convent of the Holy Child Jesus was established at 59, Hagley Road in c. 1881. The sisters replaced the School Sisters of Notre Dame in the teaching of the Oratory girls' school, which they gave up to the Sisters of Mercy in c. 1886. They also had an independent girls' school. (By 1885 the house was at 119, Hagley Road. About 1886 this convent appears to have closed. By 1952 there was a convent of the Holy Child Jesus, with a girls' school attached, in Sir Harry's Road, Edgbaston

From: 'Religious History: Religious Houses', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 7: The City of Birmingham (1964), pp. 403-405. URL: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22978

Thanks for clarifying my earlier observation Carolina, it makes sense now as memories fade after 55 yr's. I was unaware that anyone was trying to prove anything Mr Grain, a statement was simply made as to the where about's of nurses and nuns in the mid, late, fifty's in Hagley Road, 5 ways area, at no time did anyone suggest that they were from the same order as the ones portrayed in TV program about the East End of London.
paul.

Thanks for clarifying my earlier observation Carolina, it makes sense now as memories fade after 55 yr's. I was unaware that anyone was trying to prove anything Mr Grain, a statement was simply made as to the where about's of nurses and nuns in the mid, late, fifty's in Hagley Road, 5 ways area, at no time did anyone suggest that they were from the same order as the ones portrayed in TV program about the East End of London.
paul.

Sorry, I realised afterwards that I could have worded it better. I was just trying to say that seeing nurses and nuns in that area did not really signify anything other than they were aroung there.

this is an interesting article about the nuns, B'ham, and Jennifer Worth
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-02-19/did-call-the-midwife's-chummy-exist

I loved this TV series - it was over far too quickly. It had such depth and was not embarrassed about words such as 'love' i.e. I think Jennifer said they did the work because of loving others...I didn't sense much love from any of the midwives (bar one or two), that dealt with me in my 2 pregnancies/deliveries in the early 90's :(

the last episode had me in tears - won't go into detail incase some have yet to view it.

I am hoping to eventually get and read the books (but my list is getting longer :))

Although the television series was excellent, the BBC couldn't possibly portray what the author has written, I purchased the paperback last week and have just finished reading it, it is a powerful, evocative account of life in the fifties and I would recommend anyone who enjoyed the series to purchase the book.

I have read this book and also two others by this author, similar to call the midwife (the nursing profession and its patients) brilliant books to read. The series call the midwife was very good but did not touch on all in the book there is so much more in the books. I agree with astonite, would recomend these books for an excellent read.

I've also just read a book by the same author which was about the Work Houses, and it also covered some of the midwives stories which were shown in the TV series. I thought the book covered the experiences of the midwives in more detail than the TV programme. Excellent read.

Yes that's right, it is called 'Shadows of the Workhouse, and it's an excellent book. So do read it sistersue. Sorry I didn't get back to answer you sooner. It's a very moving story and it's hard to believe that life could have been like that for some people.

You will enjoy it Sue. One particular chapter is heartbreaking, although of course the whole things is very very sad.

Thanks for the tip I loved Call The Midwife and also read Nurse on Call so like Sue will order this one.

The midwife who is to blame for helping me into this world some 75 years ago was a nice lady. We were beyond a nodding acquaintance as I knew her by name (not first names of course in those days) as a youngster and often waved or spoke with her as she cycled around the roads and lanes about her daily work.

On one occasion I had the pleasure in helping her into my home to receive first aid from my Nanny. She had fallen from her bicycle - I'm not sure why now - but it was nice to help someone who helped so many others.

Maybe that is why I married a nurse. :adoration:

Last night on the tv the much awaited "The Midwife" was shown, only the 1st episode but am eagerly awaiting the next episode next week, it really opens ones eyes as to the squaller and poverty of the early '50s its made us all realise how far we have come for the better.....l really must have led a sheltered life as l really thought l came in a little black bag at least thats what my father told me...and who was l to question him as when we saw a midwife at a house there was always a baby left or so l thought, there is no mystery to the children in this day and age.....Brenda

How did I manage to miss that last night? What time and channel Brenda, so I can catch next weeks episode?.
Thanks Sue

Brenda. I recorded it will watch it tonight, here in California. Did you know you can download www.expatshield.com. it gives you a UK Ip address and you can download the "bbciplayer " & watch BBC & ITV . I have been watching
the new Downton Abby.

Jean.

Sorry sue l should have mentioned l live in Texas.....all the good british shows come to us on the pbs channel that is an educational tv channel....we all look forward to Thursday nights for Doc Martin and ml5 then Saturdays its New Tricks and Sunday it will be Call the Midwife , thats about the only thing l watch......we have so many channels here but very few are worth watching..can always depend on the brits to for really good entertainment....Brenda

"Call the Midwife" came to us in the Vancouver area via the American PBS Channel last night also. We have a very similar schedule to you Brenda re
British shows and documentaries. The latest "Downtown Abbey" is coming soon also. We have so many channels as well and I don't know what half of them are. We have another Educational channel also that shows British shows like "Touch of Frost", Lewis and other British documentaries such as David Atternborough's great films. CBC broadcast Coronation Street every weeknight and we are pretty well up to date now. There are so many British programmes that you can get. "Call the Midwife" looks to be a real eye opener. It was followed by short interviews with some of the principle cast members which was nice to see.

Jennyann, nice to know you are enjoying PBS like we do in Texas....like you we have many brit shows comedy and mysterys always look forward to a "who done it: some keeps one guessing to the end.... ".Downton abbey" l'm really looking forward to and l know lots of americans who are hooked on the series, also looking forward to the new episodes of Doc Martin afraid that show has'nt gone over as well .....people just do'nt understand the brits sence of humour....Brenda

I watched a repeat yesterday. Did you notice that the "knitted squares" of the blanket for "Chummy" were crochet?
They also had a Nun with crochet work hanging on knitting pins!
rosie.

Back