• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

Well......I googled and found them.....best wishes........Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Kenton's were and are indeed in Bissell street (the factory used to go right through to the next street too)
I too used to work there, I was in the Rifle club and we would shoot at the TA Barracks in Golden Hillock Road. Good days!!

Re: Cadbury's Bournville

Thanks to Wendy putting the link for the Cadbury's prog on this site, I think I may have found another branch of my tree!!

Olive and Ivor Woodyatt talk about working for Cadbury's on the film. My Great Grandmother was a Woodyatt. Her father Thomas Woodyatt and his brother William Henry Woodyatt moved the Woodyatt family from Gloucester to Birmingham sometime about 1880's. Ivor must be a decendant.

Now all I need to do is make contact with Olive and Ivor!

Helen

Hi

I'm interested to see that John Houghton put on a thread with the picture of a royal visit to cadburys. One of my mother in laws relatives was there and met the royalty. I've tried printing the picture off but will only come up with the writing any ideas. Thanks.:blush:

My first breath I took in contained the beautiful amoma from the not too far away Cadbury's, Wow!! how I mssed it when we moved to Northfiled although very occasionally even from there we received a whiff of it even from that distance.:)

I think Cadbury's chocolate is the finest in the world! I used to go with my dad to Frampton when he drove the cadbury lorries, they used to give me a tennis ball sized soft ball of cocoa, sugar etc it was so yummy and as a child I got so excited at the prospect of savouring this fab treat!

My Great Uncle Bill Davis used to be foreman or something senior so my dads boss was his moms brother.:)

Re: Queen's Visit 1955

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh visit Bourneville, 3rd November 1955. On behalf of the Bourneville community, Doris Cooke of Cadbury's Women's Council, present a specially designed casket.

I can just about remember being so excited walking up to cadbury's holding mommy's had because I was going to see a real life Queen!:)

Generations of my Step Dad's family worked at Cadburys, his Nan used to put the fancy swirls and decorations on the chocolates way before they automated it.. he said as kids after school they would all walk home and pass the factory windows where all the relatives used to throw chocolates out the window to them, he said there wuld just be chocolate flying everywhere and kids scrambling all over the place to get them... he said he also used to pick the lumps of chocolate off her apron most nights, he has some really great stories of his family working there, and has had me in fits of laughter many time :) I used to work over the road in the offices for a while when they were sold to Premier Brands.. I think Cadburys own it again now tho

That's lovely Malvern, not many people clocking up that amount of years nowadays is there, but then from the little i know the Cadbury Family really looked after their employees :)

A t the back of Cadbury World was an exhibition -the Cadbury collection- a large exhibition of the firms history and displays about the family and the village There were many historic items and films about their competitions and advertising. This room has now been changed and completely ruined. It is dark with just a few viewing boxes with loud sound bites and the beautiful cabinet from the Great Exhibition at Crystal Palace in 1862 is no longer there. I no longer tell visitors about it.

A t the back of Cadbury World was an exhibition -the Cadbury collection- a large exhibition of the firms history and displays about the family and the village There were many historic items and films about their competitions and advertising. This room has now been changed and completely ruined. It is dark with just a few viewing boxes with loud sound bites and the beautiful cabinet from the Great Exhibition at Crystal Palace in 1862 is no longer there. I no longer tell visitors about it.
Thats so sad :cry: why do they not restore it??

All this about Cadburys makes me wish I had another bar of my alltime favourite - Fry's Chocolate Cream ( I'll get another one tomorrow). Any of you Cadbury folk know whether Fry's Chocolate Cream will be still made in the UK when the Somerdale factory closes?
image.jpeg
Replacemt image 30/3/16
Image may vary from original image posted

I have in my collection a book "Bournville Works and the War 1914 - 1919"
30 plus pages including a Roll of Honour, Decorations etc.

It is surprising how many different units and regiments the employees in.

Regards, George

A friend of mine sent me this last week, may be of interest to you. He says it's the canteen at Cadbury's, no idea of the date.

image.jpeg

Replacement image.30/3/16
Image may vary from original posted

Chucka.

A friend of mine sent me this last week, may be of interest to you. He says it's the canteen at Cadbury's, no idea of the date.

Chucka.

I remember the canteen well, I used to work at the C.E.G.B which is now The Police Station at the end of Bournville Lane, I often met a friend that worked at Cadbury's for Lunch in the Staff Canteen:)

Re: Cadbury's Bourneville

Cadbury's looked after their young employees very well. You worked four days and they paid for you to go to school/College one day a week. They provided the chance for many working class guys that they couldn't have otherwise enjoyed. I worked in the Wages office for five years before moving to Canada. If anyone knows of a Joyce Ewing who used to work in the wages office in 1965, I would like to contact her.

Hello from Australia,

I am hoping those on this forum may be able to help me find some information for a friend whose family history I am researching.

He would like to locate his Auntie Gladys - Gladys Mann - who he believed worked at Cadbury's in the 1930's. She lived at Borsall Common, Warwickshire. Gladys apparently worked in the office and my friend Alan would dearly love to know of any information about Gladys, including how long she worked at Cadburys.

THanks for your help :)

Deb Robinson
Victoria, Australia

Hello Debrair ...welcome wish you luck in your search you will find that it is Balsall Common it might be better and have more answers if you post the name on the forum for Gladys Mann have you any more details if so post that info as well :)

Hello Debrair ...welcome wish you luck in your search you will find that it is Balsall Common it might be better and have more answers if you post the name on the forum for Gladys Mann have you any more details if so post that info as well :)

That seems a very long journey to work for the 1930s, - unless you had a car at that time. Any thoughts?

Kind regards Dave

At a guess Dave I'd think that her husband also worked at bournville (or possibly nearby) in a fairly senior position, and had a car.
mike

At a guess Dave I'd think that her husband also worked at bournville (or possibly nearby) in a fairly senior position, and had a car.
mike

Hi Mike,

Yes I was thinking the same, and for a car owner in those days, the
roads would not have been so congested either!!

Kind regards Dave

Generations of my Step Dad's family worked at Cadburys, .. he said as kids after school they would all walk home and pass the factory windows where all the relatives used to throw chocolates out the window to them, he said there wuld just be chocolate flying everywhere and kids scrambling all over the place to get them...

As I attended Bournville Junior School in the mid/late-1950's I can confirm what your step-dad told you. I remember often during school breaks running across with pals to the "birdcage" (the paths through Cadbury's factory grounds that had wrought iron railings each side), to shout "Cadburys is the best!" up at the windows. Smiling workers with white hair-cover hats would appear and throw chocolate down to us and we'd get told off when we dashed back into our classes for having messy hands and big rings of chocolate round our mouths!

I can also remember Cadburys' workers collecting their Friday night bags of chocolate 'seconds' from a side door somewhere to take home with them. How I envied them.

I've posted elsewhere on here that I also learned to swim for free at Cadbury's little factory swimming pool. I can still remember doggy paddling up and down with a cork float! The pool building was a wooden shack-like building, black with a sloping pitched roof, that jutted out like a boat house at the side of the factory lake. Just one small part of that wonderful "factory in a garden", as it was called.

What a contrast between the employer ideals of the Quakers and the greedy, heartless executives of the corporates of today.

here is a thought and someone can confirm or reject it as I aint got a clue :rolleyes: did Balsall Heath come under Warickshire ?:rolleyes:1930s

Yes Tom, Balsall Heath was Birmingham Warwickshire by the 1930's. It was Kings Norton Worcestershire until 1894.

Ann

I have to admit I worked in trade street from 1970 to 1980 and have many happy memories of my time their.

The photo is from the lunch time Bop Hall in the 60's which was the Cadbury girls club then became the social club in the 70's

Yes Tom, Balsall Heath was Birmingham Warwickshire by the 1930's. It was Kings Norton Worcestershire until 1894.

Ann
cheers Ann my thinking was Maybe ? and in response to my earlier reply ? Debrair it may not have been "borsall common " could it have been "borsall heath?" which would have been a lot easier to get to work in Bournville just a thought ?:rolleyes:

in the late 50's early 60's the school would take us on visits to cadburys, mainly to discuss the apprentise schemes, but we also visited the working factory, then to the best part the shop for misshapes and goodies. do the schools still do this?

Back