• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burial of someone who committed suicide

Hi Stokkie, Thank you for your response. Disability rather than distance prohibits my visiting Brum. I haven't found any links to newspaper reports for the time frame mentioned Master. I do appreciate your warnings about news items and Coroners reports being disturbing. After serving for 19 years as a Bobby until I suffered a HA I am well used to the tragic details. My main interest was to find out if this poor man left a note of any sort. The Coroners Court was held very quickly compared to these days and decisions were made speedily unlike now. I am writing about Phillip Carter Champs son George. He was serving in the Royal Horse Field Artillery at the time of his Dad's demise. He cut short his service and then emigrated to Canada. When WW1 broke out he joined the Canadian RHFA. He was wounded in the knee and later severely gassed. Invalided back to Canada to see his life out. Mike

Hi Stokkie, Thank you for your response. Disability rather than distance prohibits my visiting Brum. I haven't found any links to newspaper reports for the time frame mentioned Master. I do appreciate your warnings about news items and Coroners reports being disturbing. After serving for 19 years as a Bobby until I suffered a HA I am well used to the tragic details. My main interest was to find out if this poor man left a note of any sort. The Coroners Court was held very quickly compared to these days and decisions were made speedily unlike now. I am writing about Phillip Carter Champs son George. He was serving in the Royal Horse Field Artillery at the time of his Dad's demise. He cut short his service and then emigrated to Canada. When WW1 broke out he joined the Canadian RHFA. He was wounded in the knee and later severely gassed. Invalided back to Canada to see his life out. Mike
Hi Mike,
I'm sorry to hear of your disability. I'll see if I can take a look in the archives for you, if you are happy with this. This might take a few weeks though as the archives have restricted opening hours. There's nothing in the papers apparently, as you say. I wonder if someone kept his suicide out of the papers? We can communicate in private by sending messages via the envelope icon at the upper right.

Looking at your posts, Mike, could you clarify the name of your relative who took his own life. Is he George Carter Champ or Phillip Carter Champ? And what is the name of his son who went to Canada?

Best wishes,
Derek

Last edited:
Hi Mike,
I'm sorry to hear of your disability. I'll see if I can take a look in the archives for you, if you are happy with this. This might take a few weeks though as the archives have restricted opening hours. There's nothing in the papers apparently, as you say. I wonder if someone kept his suicide out of the papers? We can communicate in private by sending messages via the envelope icon at the upper right.

Looking at your posts, Mike, could you clarify the name of your relative who took his own life. Is he George Carter Champ or Phillip Carter Champ? And what is the name of his son who went to Canada?

Best wishes,
Derek
His Name was PHILLIP CARTER CHAMP, Stoke. He took his life on the 24th March 1906, the Inquest was on the 26th and the death cert was issued on the 27th. George his son went to Canada. Mike

Attachments

• 00000076317120069139_2235284_QV82J926Y7RKJEH.jpg
    00000076317120069139_2235284_QV82J926Y7RKJEH.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
His Name was PHILLIP CARTER CHAMP, Stoke. He took his life on the 24th March 1906, the Inquest was on the 26th and the death cert was issued on the 27th. George his son went to Canada. my email is ***. Mike
Thanks Mike. I'd edit your post though to remove your email as having this on line may attract the wrong sort of attention. The scammers skim the internet for such information. Derek

27th March 1906 Birmingham Daily Post
View attachment 189921
Thanks Janice, appreciated. I don't think they would need a note to come to that formulaic conclusion. Suicide was then regarded as self-murder because no sane person would attempt it. No history of mental illness was required. To attempt suicide was a criminal offence before the Suicide Act 1961. But I'll have a look at the archives for Mark if he wishes. Sad for Philip Champ's family.

Derek

Thank you Janice, that has been such a wonderful help. I am very grateful to you and Stokkie (my wretched keyboard keeps changing your name to Stoke). Thank you both so much. Poor lady finding her father hanging. What a tragedy for the family. Thank you again. Mike.
I've sent you a private message, Mike. You should find a red mark in the envelope at the blue top of the forum to the right. Between the bell and your green M icon. I can see if there is anything else in the archive if you would like. Check that messages from BHF don't go to your junk file. I took a note of your email address just in case.

Derek (Stokkie)

Last edited:
Poor lady finding her father hanging. What a tragedy for the family. Thank you again. Mike.
MWS found the references I just looked up the articles.
I have a similar situation. My grandma apparently found her Father dead from "self inflicted knife wound to throat". (Quote from death cert,)
I still need to get to see the coroners report but did find a newspaper snippet saying "found by daughter" - I assume Gran as she was the only daughter living at home.

@pjmburns

Janice, how would I go about seeing a Coroners report for my post #39?

Steve.

As far as I know the Birmingham coroner's reports are kept at Birmingham Archives.

I emailed them to ask if they held the report on my GGrandfather

[email protected]

This was their reply
Thank you for your e-mail. We do hold the inquest file into the death of ......... Access to it is via an appointment within our Wolfson Centre for Archival Research.

Wolfson Centre details

E-mail address to book an appointment is: [email protected]

(Please e-mail a few days in advance.)

Opening hours:

Tuesday: 11am – 6pm

Wednesday: 11am – 4pm

Thursday: 11am – 4pm

Saturday (monthly): 11am – 4pm

We are closed for set weeks in April, September and December.

To view original archival material requires separate proof of address and signature. Acceptable identification for address include: a driving licence, bank statement, utility bill, medical card, or council tax book. For a signature: a driving licence, a passport, or credit/cash card. Please note that passports are not suitable evidence of address. It’s important to bring correct identification as archival material will not be served without it.

Daily camera permits cost £3.50 – images taken at the discretion of the archivist on duty and for private research.

I’m afraid we do not run a copying service. If you are unable to visit, you might be able to hire a researcher through one of the following websites: www.apgen.org/, www.agra.org.uk, www.qualifiedgenealogists.org/

I do hope that this information will be of help.

A quick check here gives the Saturday's they are open in 2024

As far as I know the Birmingham coroner's reports are kept at Birmingham Archives.

I emailed them to ask if they held the report on my GGrandfather

[email protected]

This was their reply
Thank you for your e-mail. We do hold the inquest file into the death of ......... Access to it is via an appointment within our Wolfson Centre for Archival Research.

Wolfson Centre details

E-mail address to book an appointment is: [email protected]

(Please e-mail a few days in advance.)

Opening hours:

Tuesday: 11am – 6pm

Wednesday: 11am – 4pm

Thursday: 11am – 4pm

Saturday (monthly): 11am – 4pm

We are closed for set weeks in April, September and December.

To view original archival material requires separate proof of address and signature. Acceptable identification for address include: a driving licence, bank statement, utility bill, medical card, or council tax book. For a signature: a driving licence, a passport, or credit/cash card. Please note that passports are not suitable evidence of address. It’s important to bring correct identification as archival material will not be served without it.

Daily camera permits cost £3.50 – images taken at the discretion of the archivist on duty and for private research.

I’m afraid we do not run a copying service. If you are unable to visit, you might be able to hire a researcher through one of the following websites: www.apgen.org/, www.agra.org.uk, www.qualifiedgenealogists.org/

I do hope that this information will be of help.

A quick check here gives the Saturday's they are open in 2024
Thank you Janice. I may be able to try for an appointment when next we head south.

Steve.

I don't know if you have seen this (if you hover over it you will see the date and publication)
View attachment 189930

I had not seen that, Janice. Thank you.

It confirms, to some degree, what we were told by our Mother, that Thomas had gambling debts, and that was why he committed suicide.

He had only been married for a short time, and had a young daughter, who I met in later life.

Steve.

Hi I worked at one of the Magnificent 7 Cemeteries in London. In the 1920s i don't believe anyone who ended their own life would be refused burial in a public cemetery, and would be recorded in the normal way. 'Unconsecrated ground' just means 'Not C of E'. Their grave may have been marked as that was the choice of family. Likely not a big elaborate memorial if they did have one. May have been buried in an existing family grave and the name either inscribed or not.

Back