• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burial of someone who committed suicide

Chris_Baker

master brummie
Sad to say, my great grandfather committed suicide in 1928. I recently got a copy of the inquest papers from the Central Library. Very sobering reading, especially when the file contained his original suicide note. Sent a bit of a chill up my spine, I can tell you.

My question is this. Given that suicide was illegal and seen as a very bad thing, would his burial have to be in non-consecrated ground?

Where might my GGF (who lived on Frankfort Street, not far from Summer Lane) be buried if that is the case and assuming he was buried reasonably close to home?

Chris I really wish you luck on this I have been searching the same thing in my family but couldn't even get the coroners report because it was destroyed in the war.:(.please let me know if you have any luck:)

This is an interesting query, my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather commited suicide, was shocking to learn, although from what i read of the newspaper report on the inquest I have my doubts, I haven't found where he's buried yet as it's Gloucester so need to travel there to inquire, but it would be interesting to know if he was allowed a Christian burial. I wonder if Wendy would know as she does a lot of work at Keyhill maintaining it?

Hi Claire
Doubtful if someone who committed suicide would have a christian burial but I don't know for sure..when I was at Dudley Archives looking for info on my one i saw things like children of a couple of months refused because they hadn't been baptised it was such a shame..

My g/father committed suicide in 1934 l have the newspaper cutting about it...poor man this was his third attempt, he obviousley was a very troubled man l guess in those days depression was'nt looked upon as an illness....he was buried in witton cemetry and l'm sure he had a christian buriel as he was a devoute Weslyan Methodist.....wished l knew more about him but the family was always hush hush about it. infact his youngest son my uncle did'nt find out untill he was in his 50's....Brenda

Hi Brenda It looks like things had changed by the 1900s I was looking for 1881 and was really surprised that the church or whoever could treat people that way..as I said it was really sad

Hi Maggie thanks for that, poor old sole, this was back in about 1876, he was drunk apparently, left no note just did it out of the blue in his 70's, I just find it very strange. You would have thought considering most religions preach forgiveness, that they would show some compassion, doesn't seem they had much does it, very sad as you say.

Claire Gloucestershire Record Office has the best online database for genealogy that I have come across. I am posting the genealogy search page but have a look round the site as there are many coroners report references if memory serves. When I asked for a particular record on a member of my family who was charged with a criminal offence & aquitted the supply of the documents was very prompt & inexpensive.
https://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/genealogy/Search.aspx

Chris Baker,I too wondered about the burial.My maternal grandfather
committed suicide in 1943 and my mother would never talk about it.
She was an only child so there has never really been anyone to ask,but I do know that my grandparents had purchased a plot in the local churchyard long before his death and the grave was never used.
When we came to live in Birmingham my grandmother came with us and she made over the deeds of the grave to her brother.
Perhaps her husband was not allowed to be buried there.

Thanks for that Bordesley, will be checking that out now....i only have scant info as it was sent to me by someone i matched with on GR, hopefully i can find more, it's so difficult when it isn't on your doorstep like Brum :)

Claire it is possible to search on Gloucestershire Record Office just using the surname. I found an 1814 will using that technique. Good luck.
Shirley

I've just been looking on there and there is nothing for him even tho i have a copy of the newspaper article, i did find however quite a lot for his wifes family, including the gaol records for two of her cousins hehe that is going to make interesting reading when i order those hehe

The Church of England had (have) some weird mumbo-jumbo and the burial of people who had died by their own hand seems to fit into that category.
It was customary for the bodies to be taken as near as possible to the boundary of the parish and buried. Frequently, boundaries were and still are water courses: streams, rivers and the like. It has to be borne in mind that building development was not at the concentrated level of today and todays cities were at one time numerous villages separated by rural countyside. The grave would be unmarked and unrecorded.
Many people today would consider burial in some rural idyl a peaceful and tranqil last resting place.
At peace at last.
Ted

My GGF committed suicide and I have read the coroners report held in Bham library. I went to the burial records he is listed as normal and is buried in a common grave at Witton
Chris B

the same priciple applyes to people whom have been sentenced to be hung in prison
will not be burried in a cemetry once they have been hung in prison
they are burried with in the prison walls there is quite afew prisons whom have these poor souls burried with in the prisons including winso green
best wishes astonian ,;;;

Claire I am delighted that you have found family on the Gloucestershire site. The RO staff will send you a quote by email & once the cheque is received by them despatch of docs is by return post or the following day, in my experience. You can expect to read, on goal records, a physical description, details of the charge and behaviour. Enjoy!

Wow that's brilliant Bordesley, can't wait to get my hands on them.. I knew one was a bit of a rogue as he was in the local police station the night of a census, he died a few years later, I am intrigued to know now if it was in prison lol

Back