• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyn, You took the words out of my mouth, sometimes when the paper caught fire it would go up the chimney. Our mom used to panic in case it set the chimney on fire.

Lyn, You took the words out of my mouth, sometimes when the paper caught fire it would go up the chimney. Our mom used to panic in case it set the chimney on fire.

thats right lynne..i remember now that if the paper caught fire our dad would scrunch it up quickly and up the chimney it would go...

Thanks fatfingers. I used to remember when I played up mom would say she was at the end of her tether. Jean.

lol reg that reminds me of our mom chasing me round the kitchen to give me a clip round the ear...when she got close enough she took a swipe...i ducked and she wacked her hand on the door....we laffed about that for years...

lyn

My Mom or Dad very seldom Missed Lyn. Perhaps I didn't duck quick enough.
lol reg that reminds me of our mom chasing me round the kitchen to give me a clip round the ear...when she got close enough she took a swipe...i ducked and she wacked her hand on the door....we laffed about that for years...

lyn

That was the same in our house too Lyn. It was the Argus or the Birmingham Mail, and like you say, it always set on fire.

Lyn, Reg and Maggs, we had a table in the middle of our room and I would run round it and when mom was close I would shoot through the door, upstairs and in my tiny room with the door bolted. I would wait for mom to calm down and call me down to say sorry [Me that is].

Well you were lucky Jean if your mom calmed down. They never did in our house, and the inevitable wallop would come sooner or later.

Lyn, Reg and Maggs, we had a table in the middle of our room and I would run round it and when mom was close I would shoot through the door, upstairs and in my tiny room with the door bolted. I would wait for mom to calm down and call me down to say sorry [Me that is].

lol jean....

Hello Astonian can you tell me about a person being drunk KALIDE (My spelling) it was in common use when I was a kid in the thirties around Aston. Thanks Mate and regards, David.

Morning David. It is still around. Only the other day watching a police chase and the chap fell out of the car Pete said "That blokes kalied". Jean.

Hello Astonian can you tell me about a person being drunk KALIDE (My spelling) it was in common use when I was a kid in the thirties around Aston. Thanks Mate and regards, David.

David,
Please excuse my butting in. I think you'll find that the most common spelling is "kaylied". Jean's spelling "kalied" is given as an alternative, as is "kailed". Apparently the word has entered the English language from Scouse. David

another old saying as i recall was shift your carcus ;
and get a move on was used quite often when i was growing up ;
astonian

So if you had a few sherberts you would be kaylied, pun intended,lol

We always used to call lemon sherbert, Kali when we were kids Elizabeth. Used to buy it in little triangular packets. I have never heard it called that since I left Brum.

Judy

Dunno about that, but I once worked in a TV shop on Dudley Rd that was owned by a bloke called Tommy Slack.

I once worked for a couple of weeks in a TV shop near Summerfield park and I'm sure the boss was called Slack, but I can't remember the name of the shop.

I once worked for a couple of weeks in a TV shop near Summerfield park and I'm sure the boss was called Slack, but I can't remember the name of the shop.

Was it View Well, couple of doors up the hill from Woolworths ?

If it was you'd remember the boss - his name was Eric, smashing bloke !

We always used to call lemon sherbert, Kali when we were kids Elizabeth. Used to buy it in little triangular packets. I have never heard it called that since I left Brum.

Judy

The children still call it Kali,

Sometimes when my mother was getting ready to go out, and I asked her where she was going, she'd reply "To the corner of Broad Street and Dale End". Which of course doesn't exist, and she was telling me to mind my own business.

Big Gee

When I asked my mother where she was going, she would often say "There and back to see how far it is"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back