• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brummie Ghosts

Hi Tezza,

Re. 'overly-tall' ghosts.... this has been a pet interest of mine for some years, I must admit. I'm totally intrigued by the notion that such things are - while adhering to the human form - frequently much too large to have ever been human 'in life'. (For wont of a better term).

Conna has previously mentioned his hulk-like figure seen in a Willenhall cemetery (not far from Doctors Piece, as mentioned by Big Gee lately!!) I've personally looked into a handful of other (presumed) apparitions over the years which have been described as hitting the 7 or sometimes 8 foot (tall) mark.......

I had to laugh at one research group a few years back who recieved a fair bit of press coverage for 'discovering' a haunting which they claimed was 'a first' and 'unique' in the annals of British ghost-history. As you might guess, it was an overly-tall apparition seen in the South Staffordshire area........ a case which the W.M.G.C. had received a fair bit of publicity over some 2 to 3 years earlier, in fact!! So much for their 'research' prowess, it seems!!!:D:D:D

Regards - and the seasons greetings to all!!!!

Nick
www.westmidlandsghostclub.com

Hi NICHOLAS,
Re the Tall ghosts:
How about the "Angel of Mons" seen during the first world war.
This I understand appeared in the sky and was over 100 feet tall, witnessed by hundreds of soldiers, but alas, too few survived the battle to tell the tale. The few that did survive, were addament that they had seen this happen, too many on both sides to have just made the story up.
All food for thought!!
TEZZA

NICHOLAS
Well, thats another myth shattered then, thanks for that Nicholas and just as I was starting to beleve in such things too!!!
Now, what about this Santa claus Myth, are you going to shatter that too??? and tell me he does not REALLY exist??
Happy Xmas NICHOLAS and NO peeping when he calls tonight
TEZZA

Hi Tezza!!

Re. your post - I've got an 11 year old daughter who has been asking some pretty worried questions about the existence of Santa lately!!:D:D She's got to that age now where all this talk of 'chubby, magical blokes in red suits squeezing down the chimney' is getting a little too far fetched, I guess!! (We're lucky to have managed to maintain the illusion this long, I suppose?) I recall the crashing shock I received when I realised it was actually my Grandmother who was slipping pressies into my bolster case and not father Christmas!!! Devastated, I was.........!!! :cry::cry:

Hope you're having a fantastic Christmas mate!!!

Regards,

Nick;);)

NICHOLS
I was having a fantastic Xmas Nicholas, until you told me about father Xmas. Is anythying in the world still sacred?
So now I know, Its all an illusion!!!!!!!
Wondered if you managed to catch " The crooked house" on BBC 4?
Pretty pathetic I thought, nothing like as good as some of your tales.
Look forward to more from you in the new year, and I hope that you too are having a super Xmas---even though, the illusion is gone forever.
Best wishes form your old corresponent, TEZZA
icon7.gif

Sorry about that Tezza!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Re. Crooked House - yes, I did see all three episodes and must admit that I wasn't particularly impressed to be honest...... I like the chappy who wrote these episodes (and took a part in them, of course), but I don't much fancy his ghost story writing, it must be said!!

I much prefer the old Ghost Stories for Christmas from the late 60's / early 70's, which mainly featured adaptations of M.R. James tales. Unfortunately, BBC 4 has been playing them to death every Christmas for the past few years now, which greatly detracts from their impact.......

Hope the rest of the festive season and the new year holds much joy for you mate!!!

Regards,

Nick

I just re-read what I think must be the ultimate fictional ghost-story - Squire Toby's Will by J Sheridan le Fanu. Although not a Christmas ghost-tale it has everything one could wish for, including a demon dog!

In my Radio Times 'The Signalman' by Charles Dickens (the Denholm Elliott version) was scheduled to be shown this morning, but wasn't on, in the event. Another nicely scary tale...

All the best,

Graham

Hi Big Gee,

Someone gave me In A Glass Darkly by Le Fanu about 15 years ago as a Christmas present, but I've never actually got round to reading it, to be honest!! (Nick sheepishly looks embarrassed!!!) :shocked: I will have a look to see if I've got the tale you mention somewhere......????

I've took advantage of the repeated BBC Ghost Stories For Christmas a few years ago and pedantically copied all of them for posterity, including (of course) The Signalman. My favourites are the M.R. James adaptations, as I'm a crazed fan of the author!!! (Although, the adaptations are certainly lacking in light of the original stories themselves).

One of the channels broadcast The Turn of the Screw a couple of mornings ago - though I've never been too keen on this tale to be honest, as (despite being regarded as a ghost story) there might not be any ghostly activity in it really, depending on your interpretation of the tale....... (Apparently, M.R. James didn't like this story at all, I believe. On travelling to view the grave of James in Eton a few years ago, I was asking directions in an antiquarian book shop and the proprietor scratched his chin and said: "M.R. James??? M.R. James......??? Isn't that the chappy who wrote The Turn Of The Screw?????" I was able to find James' grave by following the sound of the great man turning over in it!!!!!!:D:D:D:D)

For anyone interested, pics of my journey re. the latter mentioned can be found here:

https://westmidlandsghostclub.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album52

Best wishes,

Nick

Has anyone ever heard of a ghostly, crying woman haunting the area around Swanshurst Park, near Kings Heath at all? I came across a fairly obscure reference to the matter the other day, but couldn't locate any pertinent information on the subject anywhere else.......

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick, I lived in Kings Heath/Hall Green area for 30 years and never heard of any hauntings in Swanshurst Park. But I know someone who heard footsteps crossing the Four Arches Bridge in the Dingles at the bottom of Brook Lane. No visible presence, just footsteps????

Anthea:shocked:

Hi Nick,

Got talking to someone last night about spooky stuff, and he said he'd heard tales of galloping horses' hooves being heard in Sutton Park. As there was once a race-course in the Park, he wondered if this might be an echo of years gone by.

The same person has also played at the Tamworth Assembly Rooms on several occasions over the years, and although he himself has never had any odd experiences there, he said that at least one member of staff would never stay in that place on his or her own. Apparently the bar is particularly weird...

I saw your Club's piece in the Sutton Observer today, about the Three Tuns. Interesting, and well-known story about the drummer-boy. The only strange experience I ever had in there when I was a regular years ago was getting a free drink from the-then gaffer....

Regards,

Big Gee

Tammy Ghosts

Nicholas, did we ever discuss the sightings of Roman Soldiers near Seckington which isnt far out of Tamworth. There was a story in the Herald about it.

I remember that one as well Rod. Apparently a couple of people saw them and thought they were going to a fancy dress do! They were marching along the road.

Hi All,

Re. the articles, we've recently launched a big press appeal for fresh cases to celebrate our 20th year of messing around in scary places!!:D Quite a few papers around the Midlands have carried articles about us in the last week, or placed an appeal in their letter pages........ I have to admit that we've had an incredible response and the phone hasn't stopped ringing over the past few days, which is brilliant!;)

Big Gee - we've covered Sutton Park on a few occasions over recent months with view to checking out some 'phantom horseman' sightings around the general Rowtons Well area. From the descriptions of the figure reported, it seems as if witnesses are suggesting something akin to a highwayman-style figure.

Re the Assembly Rooms, Tamworth..... we're booked in for a return visit on the 16th of this month - so wish us well!!

RodBirch and Wendy - I can't recall if the Roman Soldiers have been mentioned here, but I do recall reading about them some while ago in the Tamworth press. (If memory serves me right - which it seldom does - the Rugeley ghost related author, Carol Arnall initially told me about them, I think??????).

I cannot recall where I read of the subsequent research, but it seems that 'all' of the witnesses to these sightings (whose stories / accounts appeared in the press) couldn't be traced when a particular reporter subsequently tried to chase the stories up? Again, if I recall correctly, there did seem to be some similiarities between the language / grammar of the witness statements / letters, which had struck some people as a little suspicious......

Our first investigation of 2009 occurred last night, with a visit to the Prince Rupert Hotel in Shrewsbury, Shropshire. Needless to say, it's well out of the region, so I won't digress too much save to include a link to our photo album page for the visit (topmost album):

https://westmidlandsghostclub.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php

Cheers and best wishes to all!!

Regards,

Nick

Thanks for the update Nick.

The only story that stuck with me was, as a child my friends grandmother told us a story from when she lived as a child in the old mill at Hill Hook in Four Oaks. She told us a man dressed in a tall black hat with a large brim a lace collar and trousers short with white stockings and shoes with large buckles. She told us she saw him a few times and once he went through the wall of the house. She was not prone to stories and never told us any other stories. I often wonder if anyone else saw anything in the area. I think there are houses there now.

Thanks Tezza - glad to see that you're still here with us!!!!

I know it's not Brum, but here's our notes from the investigation at Shrewsbury from last Friday (below), in case you were interested.

All the best,

Nick

Investigation Notes: The Prince Rupert Hotel – Shrewsbury – Shropshire.

Visited: 9th to 10th January 2009

Duration of visit: Approx. 5 hrs.

Attendees: 5 members of the West Midlands Ghost Club and Chris Kennedy, Shrewsbury Ghost Walk guide and ‘sensitive’. Also present for the first part of our visit was Shrewsbury town crier, local historian and Ghost Walk organiser, Martin Wood.

Investigation: Group members visited the Prince Rupert with a view to investigations certain sections of the property which are believed to be of potential, ‘paranormal related’ interest. The regions concerned were:

*The Prince Philip Suite: Believed to be haunted by the ghost of a male suicide (by hanging) victim.

*The Prince Rupert Suite: Where visitors to the room have experienced a feeling of someone sitting on the end of the bed, with indentations in the bedclothes accompanying this sensation.

*The Conference Room: Said to be haunted by the ghost of a female suicide (by hanging) victim.

*The Cellar Area: Believed to be haunted by at least four ghosts, including a maid, a young boy, a man called Henry and a dog.

Environmental factors (for the sake of recording / vigil sessions): While touring the building, it was noted that - in all of the rooms concerned - mild external noise could be detected: i.e. people passing the property, traffic, etc.

Visit Notes: (Rough note form / grammar throughout).

Group arrive at Hotel approximately 8.15 p.m. and are met in reception area by Chris Kennedy. We speak briefly with Hotel manager NAME OF MANAGER who relates some of his experiences at the building to us. Martin Wood subsequently arrives and some time is spent speaking in the lounge area before we embark on a tour of the property, lead by Martin and Chris.

On visiting the Prince Philip Suite (which was utilised as our ‘base room’ for the duration of the stay) two group members briefly noticed technical problems with their cameras. Peculiarly, Chris has previously mentioned that camera malfunctions – particularly ‘battery drain’ situations – had occurred in the property previously. The problems with members cameras were only short lived however and no further problems experienced. (Interestingly, to date, we had never experienced such problems at any other investigation).

While still in the Prince Philip Suite, Chris mentioned that he felt uncomfortable and indicated to some discomfort associated with his neck.

After a tour of the property, Martin Wood left the premises. We re-visit the base room to gather equipment in readiness for the forthcoming investigation session.

Session One: 10.30 pm to 11.30 pm

*Prince Philip Suite: Camera placed in doorway to ante-room / en suite area, facing towards the small flight of steps leading into the suite. Recording session run in darkness, utilising the camera night-shot capacity, boosted by infra-red torch light. (Cam and torch set up on tripods).

*Prince Rupert Suite: Camera placed on table in front of left hand window of room, facing across the four poster bed (with foot of bed in clear view), towards the doorway into the room. Recording run in darkness, utilising cam night-shot capacity.

*Cellar Area: Camera situated in far cellar room where spirit of man called Henry (accompanied by a dog) is said to haunt. It had been intimated to the group that one particular wall of the room was where the presence of Henry manifested. As a result, a camera was set up in this room – directly in front of the doorway into this area – facing towards the wall indicated. The recording was run in complete darkness, utilising cam night-shot capacity, boosted by an (on board) infra-red torch.

On previous visits to the site, Chris has set up some trigger object experiments in this room – namely, a block of wood and an Irish coin outlined on pieces of paper. He reported to the group that – on past occasions – these objects had been seen to have moved. On one occasion, the coin is said to have inexplicably moved from it’s usual position, being found inside a glass jar (lying on it’s side) near Henrys wall.

As a result of the above, a chiming ball and an artists mannequin doll were placed on the floor of the room, just in front of the wall concerned and within camera shot. For the sake of the experiment, Chris also moved his coin trigger object test to the floor too.

In the far, left corner of the first cellar room (as you enter cellar area) a large wooden cross was placed (outlined on a piece of paper) along with three coins (ringed on a separate piece of paper).

A digital audio recording device was hung from a metal hook situated in the arched ceiling, directly opposite the cellar / spiral staircase door.

*Conference Room: While aforementioned recordings are taking place, all group members perform a vigil. Casual attitude / speech throughout session.

At end of session one, all recording kit (though not trigger objects) retrieved by group members.

Session Two: 11.55 pm to 12.30 am

Group vigil staged in cellar area, with particular emphasis put on the far cellar room known as ‘Henrys Room’. Casual attitude / speech throughout session.

During this session, Chris indicated that he could detect the presence of Henry in the section of the room where he is said to appear. Chris informed the group that Henry wasn’t happy with our presence there and described him as appearing to be ‘rocking from side to side’. Chris later said that Henry had taken something of a ‘lascivious’ interest in the female members present. None of the W.M.G.C. group members saw / felt anything of potential interest during this period.
At one point, Chris spoke out loud to the room and asked if Henry would ‘give a sign’ of his presence. Nothing was detected. Chris later spoke in old Salopian to the room and said that he had felt a definite tap on his shoulder just after speaking. Towards the end of the session, he said that he had developed a pain in his left side – coinciding approximately with the stomach, just below the rib-line –and expressed a belief that Henry had been stabbed in this area, possibly in the cellar room.

Session Three: 12.30 am to 1.00 am

Group vigil staged in the Prince Rupert Room. Casual attitude / conversation held throughout session. Nothing to report.

Session Four: 1.10 am to 1.40 am

Group vigil staged in the Prince Philip Room. Casual attitude / conversation held throughout session. Nothing to report except for some uneasy feelings expressed by Chris.

1.50 am: Investigation ends and group leave property.

NICHOLAS
Read your report Nick, many thanks for publishing It.
The group seems to have gone to a lot of trouble to rule out any false goings on!. Is Chris the ONLY member who experiences things?? and how reliable is Chris? Not wishing to cast ANY aspersions on Chris at all, but why should Chris be the only one to "feel" anything, -I would ask myself.
You do not say if the electronic gear reported anything, although this is not infallable of course. I can cite many strange equipment behaviours, in certain locations, but can't explain them all. Aston Hall being one such location.
Great to know that you have started the new year off well anyway, so please keep up the good work.
Regards TEZZA

Hi Tezza,

Chris isn't a member of the W.M.G.C. mate - he is one of the guides on the Shrewsbury Ghost Walk and we'd never met him prior to our arrival at the hotel on that night. As possibly mentioned previously, we don't go in for 'psychic impressions' on our investigations, though - as such stuff was being reported - we were obliged to catalogue it.

At the time of my writing the notes up, we hadn't finished checking all of the recordings, etc, over. Having now finished - guess what - they didn't record anything of interest mate!!!:D:D:D:D

We're off to the Assembly Rooms in Tamworth again tonight.....

Regards,

Nick

NICHOLAS
I am indebted to you once again for the clarity of your answer. I also tend to "stay behind the camera", for the same resons as you.
Anyone who complains about your site should be ashamed of themselves Nick, its laid out very well and its very easy to follow the various links....Nuff said.!
Have your group considered traveling further afield? I was thinking of the old "Borley rectory", so famous in the old day's, there is also the " The white harte" in Caldmore Walsall, if its still going that is. Just wondered!!
TEZZA

Hiya Tezza - to be honest, we tend to stick to the Midlands area re. our investigations.

We visited Borley a good few years ago and were lucky enough to get inside the church for a look-around. As for the rectory site, it's nothing to write home about to be honest mate, as the place is mainly taken up by a couple of bungalows and their respective gardens.:D:D See (for photos):
https://westmidlandsghostclub.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album51

And - below - some details of our visit:
https://www.westmidlandsghostclub.com/page18.htm

Indeed - the White Hart is still there, but it was converted into flats many years ago now Tezza. Ghostly happening allegedly still occur there from time to time and another group (local to our area) investigated one of the flats a couple of years ago after some stories turned up in the press.

We did apply for access to the Heritage Centre (which used to be housed in the attic of the building) a good few years ago, but we were turned down because we were told we might disrupt the people in the flats below. Ironically, about a month after our application was turned down, the powers that be allowed a bunch of hysterical media students overnight access to the site!!!!!:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

Typical!!!

Best wishes,

Nick

NICHOLAS
Thanks for the info Nick. The white hart news was interesting as I used to call there many years ago, the landlord had one of our TV sets on rental and I had to service it...more than once. The aerial was located in the attic and [no pun intended] suffered a lot from ghosting!
Many tales were told to me by the landlord, and I spent many hours in the attic trying to get a good picture, but nothing strange ever happened to me. The beer was nothing to rave about either!! I never did suceed in getting a perfect picture, but this was due to the location, not any ghostly happenings.
TEZZA

I never did suceed in getting a perfect picture, but this was due to the location, not any ghostly happenings.

Ahhhh - but can you be totally sure of that Tezza???? :D:D:D:D:D

The great aunt of a friend of mine used to be in service at the White Hart many, many years ago and she allegedly saw the figure of a woman (in period costume) crossing the bar area one night. This place was my first ever intended focus when I first seriously decided on the pursuit of 'Ghost Hunting' (as it could safely be called back then), but the Asian landlady didn't seem at all impressed with the precocious 14 year old who romped into the building and wanted to spend a night in her attic!!!!! Needless to say, such plans never did come to fruition, as the place closed (for good) as a pub not long afterwards!!!:D:D:D

If you could possibly recall any of the tales that the landlord related to you Tezza, I'd be most grateful? I've a few news cuttings on the place, but I must admit that a lot of the references you find to the site are little more than vague, friend-of-a-friend stories....

Best wishes

Nick

Hi Nick & Tezza
Sorry it's been a while and just managed to catch up on few posts! You have been busy Nick!
The ghost stories are wonderful and part of our heritage but... c'mon apart from a few people feeling a bit 'weird' is there anything concrete??

Kaz
PS I have only just forgiven you two for the slights on Darwin way back when !!!!!!!!!!!! Like I said before he didn't get it all right but it was a 150 years ago and so what - a brilliant theory is born!!

Hi Tizzy,

Re. the 'evidence' - no, of course there is nothing at all substantial...... but this has always been the problem, hasn't it; the paranormal is a wholly 'subjective' thing (which we happen to by trying to look into in an 'objective' manner!!):D:D:D:D:D

As mentioned many times before, I don't really happen to believe in ghosts in the more common sense / definitions of the word.... which is why, in trying to remain truly impartial, I tend to address such matter as an element of contemporary folklore at a base level and work on from there. I obviously cannot deny that people are experiencing 'something' (frequently out-of-the-ordinary) at such times though. I wouldn't presume to judge on the knowledge I have of the field (which is absolutely nothing at all). That said, I do believe - personal belief system - a lot of such incidents possibly boil down to psychology / misinterpretation of events / social conditioning, etc, but a lot would also seem to be something genuinely 'fay' about them.

Regards,

Nick

TIZZYKATZ
NICHOLAS
Hi to both of you, Welcome back to Tizzykatz afer the Darwin episode, whom I promise, no more will be said!!!!
I think that Tizzykatz has a good point Nick, about "Nothing Concrete ever arising" from the whole subject really. As we move more and more into the electronc age, even less concrete evidence comes to light.
Having said that though, I agree with Nick, people who have expeienced such things are really convinced and are, not simply making it up. I refer Tizzykatz to an earlier mail of mine, concerning a certain gas cooker, in Birmingham.
I think more thought should be given to : are these strange things just something normal, but latent in most of us. Or are they indicators that such goings on are actualy dead people come from the other side?
Too much emphasis is placed on any strange events, being put down to Ghosts ,as such and I feel that the two should be seperated a little more, if only for clarity sake. Then we might get somewhere.
Nick, your report of the lady seen at the White hart, would bear out what the old landlord told me, he always claimed this a fact and that he had seen her many times, this did not ALWAYS bring the customers IN however, it did on occaision keep some of em away. As I recall the white Harte, it lent itself very much to ghostly happenings anyway, it was very old and very dark inside, an ideal place in fact for a ghost or ghosts to reside! He did tell me something concerning the cellars there too, claiming that they were connected to the nearby church crypt. He took me down there once but they were bricked up. Would this tie in with anything that you might have heard?
Over to some one else now, for a bit TEZZA

Nicholas
Re my last posting this morning about the white Harte, I was sitting in a ladys knitting shop in Lichfield this afternoon waiting for my wife to choose some wool. [This left me with an odd hour to sit and think], and something about the cellars in this old pub came back to me.
When the, then landlord took me down there, they were quite large as I recall and seemed to be bigger than the actual pub and were arched in many places. The landlord pointed out one of the bricked up arches and said there was a tunnel, from the cellar, leading to the crypt in , I;m certain he said ,St Michaels church about 1/4 mile away. he did not know when it was bricked up, but it was before his time and the brickwork did look old. I was there in the mid to late 60s. The landlord reckoned that most of the pubs ghosts came from this crypt as some of them had been seen to disapear through the brickwork on occaision. I am certain that I read in the 70s or 80s that this tunnel had been unbricked and some reporters followed it to the church. I was no longer working this area at the time,may be you can throw some light on it. One thing the landlord did say Nick, was that his Ghosts were friendly and, although they frequently passed thru the bar, they never ever stopped to frighten anybody, "seemed intent on going about their own business", was how the landlord put it. Just thought you would like to knowNick , that after the hour in the wool shop had passed, we came out with nothing, but at least the afternoon was not entirely wasted.
TEZZA|

Just thought you would like to knowNick , that after the hour in the wool shop had passed, we came out with nothing, but at least the afternoon was not entirely wasted.
TEZZA|

Ahhh - bless you Tezza!!!!:D:D:D:D Thanks for the double post mate!

There has been so much stuff published on the White Hart over the years, you wouldn't really know where to start in trying to catalogue everything!! (Having said that - I've plenty of time on my hands at times, so I might just well have a go!!!)

I honestly wouldn't know what they'd done with the cellar area now, but you'd presume it would still be there, wouldn't you? I'm not aware of any tunnels in the area, but - of course - there is so much unwritten history regarding a lot of these old sites that new information is cropping up all the while. I know there is some evidence for tunnels associated with St Matthews Church, as there is a nearby pub (which we investigated a few years ago) where a monk is said to appear through one of the cellar walls. This is supposedly because of tunnels from the church to the pub concerned...

I did have the chance to go in with the acquaintance mentioned previously, but I was decidedly iffy on the night (health-wise) and couldn't attend in the end. Still got the bruises from 'booting myself in the rear' since though!!!

Cheers mate and keep postin!!!

Regards,

Nick

NICHOLAS
I wonder if the pub you refer to, is the one I am thinking about.
I thought that St Michaels was the church on the hill, maybe it was St Matthews.
Either way, I was shown the cellars and the bricked up arch at the White harte and told that there was a tunnel leading to the church crypt.
Regards TEZZA

Back