• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brummie Ghosts

Arrggghhhh - talk of Fort Dunlop brings back 20 year old memories of scraping knee deep pigeon poo, copiously littered with feathered corpses from up in the roof area of the old factory building !!! Wonder if they have the same trouble now ('not', of course!!):D:D

As possibly mentioned previously, I once had a knife - allegedly thrown by a poltergeist - skim within inches of my left ear at a reasonable velocity!! On behalf of ghosts everywhere, I must admit that I was more inclined to 'punch the head' of a chap who was standing some 10 feet or so behind me, rather than blame any kind of paranormal agency!!:D (If I'm honest, it seemed that the bulk of the alleged ghostly activity at the site leaned more towards this chap than anything actually 'spooky' in nature).

https://www.cyberpunks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ARCHIVES/The Knife The Boot And The Poltergeist.htm

Regards,

Nick
www.westmidlandsghostclub.com

hi folks and hi nick. i have only just read through this thread and thought you may be intersted in my story. i think a am a reasonably sane and rational person (i hope) so here goes. in about 1967 i lived in villa st hockley and shared the attic with my bro and sister. one night i woke up and sat up in bed and there at the bottom of the bed on the right hand side was this figure just standing there. quite tall with what a can only describe as wearing a black cloak with a hood. i could not see a face. i had no fear of it and thought i must be dreaming so i lay down and put my head under the covers for about 10 secs when i looked again it was still there. i cant understand why i wasnt scared witless but anyway i just lay down went to sleep and in the morning i just put it down to a dream and basically forgot about it and told no one and never saw it again. this next bit of my story really nails it for me that it wasnt a dream. as i said that was in about 67 now in 72 we moved from villa st and it would be round about 1980 me and mom where talking about the old end and to my surprise she said to me how she couldnt wait to move from there. i asked he why this was as i thought we had all been happy there. then she told me that she had seen a ghost twice. i asked her to explain what she has seen to me. apparently when dad was working nights at joseph lucas gt king st she had the same experience as i had the same figure had appeared at the end of her bed and she was scared..so scared that dad had to come off nights. anyway the 2nd visit it payed to moms bedroom about 2 weeks later dad was actually there but this time it was standing by the wardrobe. mom was shaking and sweating dad woke and thought she was having a heart attack. neither of us saw it after that but i have to beleive it was real as mom didnt know about my experience and i didnt know about hers till many years later and i cant see us both being so wrong but we worked it out that all 3 sightings happened within about a month of each other.neither mom or i saw it again.. i have tried to work out what it may have been and why he was there and the only thing i can come up with is i believe the roman road from icknield st may have ran very close to villa st on its way to sutton park and could he have been a roman soldier. hope you all dont think im mad but this was very very real. wales.

Last edited:
Ewwwww nick rather you then me lol Yeah i'd say the workmate was responsible....

Wales of couse we don't think you're mad, and you and your mom both seeing this figure but not saying, bet she was relieved when she found out you'd seen it, real weight off her mind i bet

i have to beleive it mossy. claire it still scares her now to even think about it. still cant understand why i was not scared. maybe its because i was young. who knows. wales.:)

It could be Wales, i think as a child you are more innocent and open to things, be great to find out who it was tho, wonder if anyone living there before/after had that experience too, more then likely they would have

yes claire they have. but after i left the street and quite a few houses up from mine. have met the person and the discription is exactly the same. lyn

claire i forgot to say that the other person who saw it is a member of this forum and when we met up it to swap some books it was he who asked me had i ever seen any ghosts while i was living there. just a bit more proof id say. lyn

Last edited:
thats what i think claire. i often go down to look at the old end and there is a new house built right on the spot of my old one. i often get the urge to knock the door and ask if they have seen anything but of course i would never do that. but seeing is beleiving and we all have seen. like you say i wonder if anyone else has. o well it was good to tell my story. cheers wales.:)

I know what you mean, but you never know someone from that street may join up here and you may get your answers, but i'd say good chance they are still in that road, even tho the house is replaced

Well three people can't have all imagined it Wales.

Too true Claire - especially under the circumstances mentioned in this particular story !!

Thanks for sharing your experiences Wales...... and I was most intrigued by the mention of the nearby Icknield Street possibly having some effect on the encounters concerned?

Regarding the fact that you felt no fear during the experience - this appears to be a fairly common motif, to be honest. People often voice this to me and appear genuinely incredulous over the fact that they weren't scared....??

Regards,

Nick

I mentioned Icknield Street, as there appears to be a number of hauntings associated with - or around - the length of this road. (Or, at least it's former route).

Not too long ago, we were looking into sightings of phantom horsemen in Sutton Park very close to (if not on the very site) where the Street would have cut through the area......

Regards,

Nick

hi chris. about 5 years ago they did a reinactment at sutton park and i walked the roman road that runs through the park. very interesting. lyn:)

I was told of a lady who was seen several times from the Mint and around Warstone lane cemetery next door. They called her the grey lady. Funny the Mint and Warstone Lane Cemetery are on Iknield Street.

wendy ive heard of the grey lady too. another story which has been around since i was a kid is that every 100 years the roman soldiers can be heard marching down ickneild st. lyn

Wales - I'm sorry, but I have to ask........ who is 'Chris' ??????

I think that Sutton Park should make a bit more effort with the route of the old Roman road really. On the last couple of visits to the area, it was getting less and less obvious where the path actually ran....... A shame to lose such a feature, if this should actually - eventually - happen. Rowtons Well - nearby and allegedly another Roman related feature - has all but vanished in the undergrowth / shrubbery in the past few years.

The grey lady of Warstones Lane is something of a legendary feature in the Jewellery Quarter. She seems to be a well documented apparition, though has a tendency to only pop up once in a blue moon.

One of the last alleged sightings in this region - a good few years ago now - concerns an apparition dressed in a completely different costume / period to that of the grey lady !! Two different female ghosts in the same area??

Regards,

Nick

sorry nick i meant to put nick. just another senior moment lol i agree with you the roman road should be made a bit more prominant. like maybe put up some signposts to let people know exactly where it is. lyn

sorry nick i meant to put nick. just another senior moment lol i agree with you the roman road should be made a bit more prominant. like maybe put up some signposts to let people know exactly where it is. lyn

I thought that you were possibly referring to yours truly when mentioning 'Chris', Lyn.:D I'll admit that I was initially looking through the previous posts - in vain, of course - to see what this Chris had been saying though!!:D

Yes - there are quite a few features in Sutton Park that should be outlined more clearly, to be honest...... The aforementioned Rowtons Well is a thorn in my side at the moment. I've been twice in recent weeks to try and find it and - despite knowing exactly where it is (courtesy of Google Earth) - could I actually find the blasted thing ???

Regards,

Nick

Nicholas is this the Rowtons Well ? Dave

Replacement photograph, not necessarily the same as original

Rowton%20Well%20xx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyn - it's where they took the photo that Dave M has recently posted up !!! :D:D:D

Dave M - yes.... that looks like it from the photo's I've seen, though I obviously cannot speak from personal experience !! (Worst luck !!) :D

Regards,

Nick

Back