• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bromsgrove Street 1907

There is a Mary A Robin who sailed 24 May 1909 on the Carthaginian (with loads of other children) to Halifax.
Another Middlemore record says her first place of settlement was Nova Scotia. Sailed on the 25th May and her birthday 27/8/1908.

Last edited:
There are photos on this thread which show various types of courts and back houses.

There is a Charles Edward Robins (6) sailing at the same time as Ellen.

Rubbish ignore ! The rows on the record shoot all over the place. It was a Charles Andrew and he was 12.

Last edited:
Yes I would think so, lots of courts and back to back houses. You can see half New St station top right, beyond which would have been the city centre.

Not sure if you can make out Hurst St - it crosses Bromsgrove St to the left of the pink dot - but if you follow it up, you come to Inge St (first road) and on the corner there are some surviving back to back houses...

I don't imagine houses would have looked as clean and tidy in the late 18th century though.
That's so cool! Maybe someday I will actually get there to visit! I had a chance to visit the tenement museum in Manhattan a couple years ago, so I suspect it might be similar. I applied to the West Mid lands Police Museum for a record search to see if they have anything on Charles and Mary Anne. I'm thinking if they got charged twice in one year of operating a brothel/disorderly house and assaulting a police officer (in the same year) there is probably other encounters with the law and maybe (hopefully) something will be there!

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Another Middlemore record says her first place of settlement was Nova Scotia. Sailed on the 25th May and her birthday 27/8/1908.
Yes, she was settled in the same village my grandfather grew up in. I think that's how ellen ended up in that town and meet my g-grandfather as her sister was there.

There is a Charles Edward Robins (6) sailing at the same time as Ellen.

Rubbish ignore ! The rows on the record shoot all over the place. It was a Charles Andrew and he was 12.
Yes, That was her brother. I'm not sure they saw each other after settlement, I can't track him over here after his first placement. its possible he changed his name as they listed him as adopted son on the census.

There appear to be a number of newspaper articles mentioning James and Caroline Dix (Mary's parents) in the Cheltenham papers. Amongst them...

James appears to have been burnt in 1879, son Joseph also fractured his shoulder.

Caroline may have assaulted a woman in 1872 and caused criminal damage in 1896.

There son James was in trouble for breaking lamps in 1883. He was also in trouble in 1881 as was his brother, Joseph.

Son James may have been assaulted in 1882.

There appear to be a number of newspaper articles mentioning James and Caroline Dix (Mary's parents) in the Cheltenham papers. Amongst them...

James appears to have been burnt in 1879, son Joseph also fractured his shoulder.

Caroline may have assaulted a woman in 1872 and caused criminal damage in 1896.

There son James was in trouble for breaking lamps in 1883. He was also in trouble in 1881 as was his brother, Joseph.

Son James may have been assaulted in 1882.
I come from good stock apparently lol.
Maybe I need to request to also pull the GGG-grandparents records too. At this rate, there's bound to be something. Doubtful they started being law-abiding citizens when they joined Mary in Bham.

where were you able to find the papers at? I'd have no clue where to look.

Last edited:
Newspapers are available on a number of sites but these are on findmypast. You need a subscription to see any more than a snippet in the search results.

I can find the article from the Cheltenham Examiner of July 1872, but unfortunately you cannot send an attachment on the private message system. I can put it on as a post if you wish.

I can find the article from the Cheltenham Examiner of July 1872, but unfortunately you cannot send an attachment on the private message system. I can put it on as a post if you wish.
Yes please ! Or I can message you my email if sending it that way is easier for you.

ok, another weird question. I got some documents from the Gov't of Canada that indicate Ellen's support/training and settlement in Canada were paid for by a Mrs. Robert Purdom.

From what I gather this was somewhat unusual to have donations directed specifically to a child unless there was some connection. It also looks like a Mr. Robert Purdom supported a Joesph Twells (I've not heard of this name before)
Any ideas who this Mr. & Mrs. Purdom may have been and if indeed there may have been a connection or just random philanthropy?

Attachments

• Er1.JPG
    Er1.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 11
  • er3.JPG
    er3.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 11
Just sounds like random philanthropy. Robert was a spectacle maker born in Scotland, his wife Emma was born in Northampton.

Just sounds like random philanthropy. Robert was a spectacle maker born in Scotland, his wife Emma was born in Northampton.
That's what I suspected by the researchers over here seems to think it was unusual so i thought I'd check to see if there was a connection. Apparently, it was more common for philanthropists to donate just to the overall home instead of a specific child.
Apparently Middlemore also went to family members financial donation to support specific children, but i suspect most (including mine) didn't have the means for that.

That's what I suspected by the researchers over here seems to think it was unusual so i thought I'd check to see if there was a connection. Apparently, it was more common for philanthropists to donate just to the overall home instead of a specific child.
Apparently Middlemore also went to family members financial donation to support specific children, but i suspect most (including mine) didn't have the means for that.

I believe you are right that Middlemore received financial donations from relatives for various reasons. This would help with the costs and their reputation.

But as you say a sponsorship for an individual, as opposed to the Institution as whole, would be interesting !

There are donations recorded for The Lady Mayoress's Special Appeal in 1917 and the Christmas Tree Funds 1917/1918, by Robert

Can see him in 1891 & 1911 but not 1901. He is listed with 2 children in 1911 both born in Handsworth but I suspect they may both be adopted, like at least 2 younger ones.

I believe you are right that Middlemore received financial donations from relatives for various reasons. This would help with the costs and their reputation.

But as you say a sponsorship for an individual, as opposed to the Institution as whole, would be interesting !

There are donations recorded for The Lady Mayoress's Special Appeal in 1917 and the Christmas Tree Funds 1917/1918, by Robert
This was from the Annual Reports of 1907/08

Back