• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BRITISH REINFORCED CONCRETE ENGINEERING Co. Ltd

smithsquared

Brummie Once Removed
Hi everyone, I tripped over this publication on the Interweb whilst researching my fathers original place of work (Sphinx Manufacturing Ltd, Bradford Street), having found a photo of the original factory I realised it was in a large digitised document entitled 'B.R.C Structures, A photographic record of the use of Reinforced Concrete in modern Building Construction' published in 1923. To save you all from wading through the numerous photos, I have extracted those from Birmingham, hopefully these are new to you and of some interest?The British Reinforced Concrete Engineering Co. Ltd., 1923_0020.jpgThe British Reinforced Concrete Engineering Co. Ltd., 1923_0037.jpgThe British Reinforced Concrete Engineering Co. Ltd., 1923_0050.jpgThe British Reinforced Concrete Engineering Co. Ltd., 1923_0099.jpgThe British Reinforced Concrete Engineering Co. Ltd., 1923_0100.jpgThe British Reinforced Concrete Engineering Co. Ltd., 1923_0101.jpgThe British Reinforced Concrete Engineering Co. Ltd., 1923_0102.jpgThe British Reinforced Concrete Engineering Co. Ltd., 1923_0143-4.jpg.jpgThe British Reinforced Concrete Engineering Co. Ltd., 1923_0189.jpgThe British Reinforced Concrete Engineering Co. Ltd., 1923_0190.jpgThe British Reinforced Concrete Engineering Co. Ltd., 1923_0218.jpg

Located in Stafford, the BRC was part of the Hall Engineering group at the time when I knew both the Lichfield Road location, and the HEL factory in Harlescott, Shrewsbury. If my memory is correct “BRC Fabric” was a welded mesh of steel bars which, sunk in the concrete when it was poured, prevented it from cracking. They used a tradename “Weldmesh” for some products, but there my knowledge stops.

Another piece of history.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I tripped over this publication on the Interweb whilst researching my fathers original place of work (Sphinx Manufacturing Ltd, Bradford Street), having found a photo of the original factory I realised it was in a large digitised document entitled 'B.R.C Structures, A photographic record of the use of Reinforced Concrete in modern Building Construction' published in 1923. To save you all from wading through the numerous photos, I have extracted those from Birmingham, hopefully these are new to you and of some interest?View attachment 155083View attachment 155084View attachment 155085View attachment 155086View attachment 155087View attachment 155088View attachment 155089View attachment 155090View attachment 155091View attachment 155092View attachment 155093
What a fantastic collection.

Thanks for posting them.

Back