• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bridge Street/holliday Street Old House

Thanks Lyn. I think the old house and buildings is just on the edge of the map, bottom left. Wonder if anyone's seen anything else in the local press? Viv.

Screenshot (55).jpg Is this the house being referred to, ie next to Premier Inn. There appears to be a "To Let" board in Google Map May 2014.
Can anyone make out the name of the agent, perhaps they could give some information.

Checked up on Streetview if anything has developed with this building. Streetview has photographed it at two different times on there, one shows a 'To Let' sign and additional fence between the cottages and the generator (?). The other shows no fence or To Let sign. The cottages are still boarded up.

Ellbrown has posted views across the Arena Central development site from the Library of Birmingham here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=35579&page=2&p=558415#post558415
You can clearly see the cottages now that demolition work for the site has taken place. It puts it into context of how these cottages will be nestling in a mass of modern developments, in fact surrounded by modern developments. And it illustrates how important it will be to preserve these cottages which link closely to the canal history. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
It's not currently listed on the Chinar Estates website, either to let or for sale.

Maurice

Walked past it many times.

Took this photo from the Discovery Terrace at the Library of Birmingham. It is not listed. And not sure if it is referenced in Pevsner or not. (on the page mentioning Holliday Street)

Thanks for the interesting pic, Ell. The current agents are Siddall Jones, whose offices are at The Mint in Icknield Street. Strangely, despite a long list of widely different commercial premises, including the Red Lion pub on Soho Road, the Swan & Mitre pub on Lichfield Road, church premises at 169 Hunters Road, and Wing Yip, this property is still not listed. Their site is at https://www.siddalljones.com/property-search.php

Maurice

No problem Sospiri. Maybe as Viv said above last year, that the Arena Central demolition opened up a view that wasn't visible before.

I've not been able to find anything out myself about this building.

Couldn't Premier Inn do something with it (if they were to let it).

Perhaps, being a modern building, Premier Inn has sufficient storage space, Ell, but many many years ago, a large hotel on Bournemouth seafront, at which I used to have the band, rented an old building next door to store pushchairs and other items that were lent to the guests and spare furniture used only for functions.

Maurice

Thanks for the updated photo Ell, There's a generator(?) next to the house(s) which has more recently had a new fence. Does it serve the Premier Inn ? If so it might link the old building more closely to the Premier Inn. Viv.

It is close to the Holliday Street Aqueduct, which is partly covered by a car park, probably for the hotel.

Could it be converted into a holiday cottage? Or a small canal museum / gift shop about Gas Street Basin etc.

Re museum. There's a thought Ell! Close to the hotels for visitors, easy reach of City Centre. Has a lot going for it. Viv

Taking photos today (Boxing Day) of the Premier Inn extension on Bridge Street, noticed that the old building near the corner with Holliday Street is "To Let" (it has had this status for a while now).

I don't know if Premier Inn would take it over once their works on the hotel is finished.

I wonder of his advert from the Birmingham Post. 30.9.1867 refered to the building we have been discussing.
Birm post.30.9.1867.jpg

I've been following this and the mystery really intrigues me - I would love to find out more about the building!

I've been fascinated by these cottages since I started working next to the 5 years ago. I've learned a lot reading through this thread.

The cottages are still there & in much the same state as when the thread started, though, the wall running along Holliday street has suffered some damage - I imagine from poor (or no) maintenance (there was a lot of buddleia growing out of it). They have now taken the top few courses of bricks off to prevent them falling on anyone.

Attachments

• 20200322_122655.jpg
    20200322_122655.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200322_122811.jpg
    20200322_122811.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200322_211339.jpg
    20200322_211339.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20200322_211244.jpg
    20200322_211244.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 21
thanks for the update judi...really surprised that the cottages are still there

lyn

They do seem to do some maintenance from time to time.

I'm just surprised that nothing has been done with them. With a bit of work they'd make an ideal little suite for the Premier Inn that they are pretty much in the grounds of anyway, or even City Centre apartments.

I can only think that there is maybe an issue with water supply or some such which means that they can't be easily converted.

They do seem to do some maintenance from time to time.

I'm just surprised that nothing has been done with them. With a bit of work they'd make an ideal little suite for the Premier Inn that they are pretty much in the grounds of anyway, or even City Centre apartments.

I can only think that there is maybe an issue with water supply or some such which means that they can't be easily converted.
I
Newbie here, I have read this thread from beginning to the last post in march with great interest because I was born in holliday street and lived there until I was 12. My mother was also born in the street in 1920, she is still with us at 100 years old but she can,t remember anything about the house and neither can I but I hope someone can find more about it. I can remember the sawmills on that site l think it was called Williams and Farmer. I think that Blue Circle Cement were based there also but it was a long time ago and memories tend to warp slightly. The thread seems to have gone quiet now but I hope someone will have another go.

hello splinter and welcome..if you could give us the names of your parents and what years they were at holliday st we maybe able to find them on the online electoral rolls so at least you would have the address...thats a great age for your mom

lyn :)

hello splinter and welcome..if you could give us the names of your parents and what years they were at holliday st we maybe able to find them on the online electoral rolls so at least you would have the address...thats a great age for your mom

lyn :)
Thankyou for the prompt reply Lyn but I think our wires are crossed somewhere, the housethat my mother and I couldn,t remember wasn,t our house but the house on the corner of holliday st. and bridge st. that the thread was about. Cheers.

ahh now i get it :rolleyes: :D it like that with me...my brother who is 3 years youngers than i am can remember buildings and people in the street that we grew up in but i cant...

lyn

A side view photo of the house on the junction of Bridge Street and Holliday Street today with the redevelopment activity at Arena Central in the background across the road. I had allows assumed it was part of a longer terrace but after reading the thread it seems to have always been just the single house. I wonder if the land it stands on belongs to one of the developments or is separately owned?

Attachments

• Old House Bridge Street.JPG
    Old House Bridge Street.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
Back