• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bridge Street/holliday Street Old House

vanessa

proper brummie kid
Yesterday I was walking along the canal from the Mailbox to Broad Steet when I noticed an old house standing on its own. Searching aerial maps and google street view I have come to the conclusion that this is at the entrance to the Premier Inn on Bridge Street. Can anyone tell me anything about this house and if I have got the correct building. Thanks.

hi vanessa i know the building you are talking about...i was taking photos of it a couple of years back and wondered about the history of it...be great if anyone could help us....

lyn

Hi Lyn. Yes it absolutely fascinated me. From the canal it just stuck out amongst all the modern buildings. I've been trying to pin-point it on the census........???? It still must belong to someone otherwise the council would surely have knocked it down when re-developing?. Vanessa

it looks quite old to me vanessa but like you say it must belong to someone...i was going to post a photo of it but i cant find the one i took...maybe we can get a google shot of it....

lyn

Yesterday I was walking along the canal from the Mailbox to Broad Steet when I noticed an old house standing on its own. Searching aerial maps and google street view I have come to the conclusion that this is at the entrance to the Premier Inn on Bridge Street. Can anyone tell me anything about this house and if I have got the correct building. Thanks.
Is this it, looks more like it was a business than a house..
https://goo.gl/maps/kvgp5

managed to get these shots off google street view vanessa...first pic is of the front of it and the second one is of the back of the building which is is holliday st..

lyn

How do you post the google pics, i can never seem to do it?:cower:

hi brumgum i find the pics on google but because i dont know how i have to get my son to save them to my pc then i post them on here...i really must get him to show me step by step how to do that..

lyn

hi brumgum i find the pics on google but because i dont know how i have to get my son to save them to my pc then i post them on here...i really must get him to show me step by step how to do that..

lyn
:redface: I never had a son so this means i'm stumped:dejection:

so glad ive got a son brumgrum..if i had not i doubt i would be able to turn a computer on lol...when i get the hang of saving google st pics i will let you know how to do it unless of course someone else could tell us as my son does it that fast i cant take it in..

lyn

I'm sure that this building has come up on here before and it was worked out that it was more likely than not the old Worcester Wharf boatman's mission hall & refreshment rooms. It's obviously listed or else it wouldn't be still standing.

thanks phil...will try and confirm that info...must say it seems possable...

lyn

To save pics off street view I right click on picture, click on save as which opens up the pictures library. You can save picture here or to a folder in your pictures library. Hope it works for you.

Does any of this info help?

Not sure, but expanding on Phil's suggestion it was probably the Incorporated Seamens' & Boatmens' Friendly Society Boatmens' Mission Hall or later Bridge Street Boatmen's Hall.

It was discussed here in post #129 and #130. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4054&page=9

Below is an extract from CaptainAhabsWateryTales site listing the Missions by Gas Street.

And also details of the Boatmen's missions from the British History Online site.

Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382482478.292841.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382482478.292841.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 28
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382482561.511315.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382482561.511315.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 39
No it is not the boatman's mission hall as this was on the opposite side of the street, as can be seen below. The houses we are talking about are in red ion this c 1889 map. there was an earlier mission, but the reason the new one (seen on the map) had to be built was because the old one was demolished for something else to be built on the site

map_c_1889_showing_old_cottages_still_in_Bridge_st.jpg

thats great mike thanks for sorting this one out for us....great map again...

lyn

But again wondering what this building actually was. The rear looks industrial and the frontages have too many windows to be cottages. It does look like it had some other purpose. Was it some sort of offices related to canal transportation? Or maybe it was part of an industrial complex. This was once a very industrialised area with the Aetna glassworks and Cadbury's at one time. Or maybe it was part of those saw mills on Mike's 1889 map. Just pondering, as you do! Viv.

There seems to be a wall along the side of the sawmills , between them and the "cottages", so it would seem unlikely, but not impossible, that they were part of the sawmill. Pigott's 1828 map and the 1839 map would both seem to show the area as all part of the canal wharf, and there is a building which might be the one in which we are interested, but the scale is smaller and it does not look to be quite at the right angle, but this may be due to the smaller scale. These would indicate that they were part of the wharf complex. As it was close to the entrance, perhaps it was a gatehouse building. I have been unable to find any early drawings or pictures of the wharf

Thanks this is all very interesting. Really pleased to see it on the old map, that helps a lot. I thought that it was likely to be something to do with the waterways. It just struck me as to why it had been left empty all on its own. Fascinating.

Mike

Do you remember this coming up before on here, or was it on another forum? That is what I am going by just a memory that I have from somewhere but I can't remember where.

Phil
It has certainly come up on one forum, and I think it was htis one, though cannot be absolutely certain. I have a few notes, and the original enquiry seems to have come from "Lynn", who had visited the registry office and noticed it.and photographed it (though i cannot find a copy of the photo. I don't know if that should havebeen "Lyn" (Astoness) or another. Perhaps Lyn could enlighten us.
My comments at the time were:
I have the Boatmans Mission pinned on the opposite corner of Bridge St. I think that information came from Peter Walker who used that building I think. The wonderfull old building shown was not on Bridge St itself but rather the lane/path between Worcester Wharf and the stables on Holiday St. In the old days, before the Bolinder, that lane would have been trod by the barge horses and boatmen at the start and end of a journey to and from Worcester and other places. They would have walked in front of that very building and it might have been something to do with the canal.

hi mike yes it was me who took photos of that building when visiting the register office...think it was before the forum was hacked so the pics i took would have been lost at least we have the google shots of it...i did try to get a look at the side of the building and im sure there were out houses of some sort...must try to get up there soon and take a better look at it again...

lyn

Not sure Pollypops, could be although I keep being swayed by the more industrial look about it. Had a look at the 1839 map you mentioned Mike and see what you mean, in that it doesn't quite tally. And at a guess I'd say the existing building might be a bit later, or the earlier one externally altered. The Worcester & Birmingham Canal Companys Wharf marked on the 1839 map looks to occupy a large section of land between Bridge Street and the Canal. Given that this was the 'terminus', I'd put my money on the building having belonged to the Canal Co. I've checked out listed buildings too but can't find anything .. yet. Viv.

Might be helpful to have the 1839 map (from Historical Maps site) here it is. V.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382537945.315714.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382537945.315714.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 54
And maybe could add this 1832 map which marks that whole piece of land as 'Wharf Office'. Does make you realise how much stuff was flowing through this part of the canal network. Must have been incredibly busy. V.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382538467.260262.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382538467.260262.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 49
Phil
It has certainly come up on one forum, and I think it was htis one, though cannot be absolutely certain. I have a few notes, and the original enquiry seems to have come from "Lynn", who had visited the registry office and noticed it.and photographed it (though i cannot find a copy of the photo. I don't know if that should havebeen "Lyn" (Astoness) or another. Perhaps Lyn could enlighten us.
My comments at the time were:
I have the Boatmans Mission pinned on the opposite corner of Bridge St. I think that information came from Peter Walker who used that building I think. The wonderfull old building shown was not on Bridge St itself but rather the lane/path between Worcester Wharf and the stables on Holiday St. In the old days, before the Bolinder, that lane would have been trod by the barge horses and boatmen at the start and end of a journey to and from Worcester and other places. They would have walked in front of that very building and it might have been something to do with the canal.

mike do you think that lane/path/walk where the building is would have had a name to it...??

lyn

Lyn
It might have had, but i have not come accross any name.
Below is the section of th w1828 Pigot map. If you look carefully you can see the pavement going in slightly just north of the building which is in a similar position. This would probably be an entrance to the wharf, and is why I thought there was a possibilty of it being some form of gatehouse. the fact that it seems in a slughtly different position might just be due to the deficiences of the mapmaker.

Pigott-smith_map_1828_of_Worcester_wharf_area.jpg

Back