• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bolton Road, Small Heath

we lived across the road from railway line.Our dog was always escaping and he always headed there haha. I remember us having a community fireworks on bonfire night on the spare piece of land near us where a house used to stand

our house backed on to the railway line and esso garage petrol station just before the station and bridge

I know the bridge it started at the end of herbert road I think and went over to sparkhill or sparkbrook? a park was there

yes thats small heath bridge.but the one im talking about is half way up the other way from town golden hillock road.between bolton road /byron road going towards BSA was past the station and the sydenham pub with anderton road on the right

Are you related to Barry Emery from Bolton road? We were mates and neighbours back in the day 1967'ish
HI denise56 sorry no Barry on my family tree, though i did go to Dixon rd school 59-65 we lived in Bordesley Park road. Michael

what was the name of the club opposite the school in oakley road that backed onto the railway lines and back of houses on bolton r0ad.i think it might still be there

This is a 1970s pic of cooksey road small heath (from todays Mail) The entrance to cooksey avenue can be seen by the third car on the left and the other entrance/exit is by the lampost on the left. View attachment 106617
I have just discovered that my Grandma, Daisy Violet Perkins, was born in Cooksey Road in 1896 and lived there until at least 1911. Do you have any idea where number 29 was?

I'm no expert but i think number 29 is the one in blue on this map opposite Dixon rd school which still stands today Screenshot (1)22.jpg Dixon rd school (2).jpg

I'm no expert but i think number 29 is the one in blue on this map opposite Dixon rd school which still stands today View attachment 109284 View attachment 109285
I'm in the process of discovering a whole raft of Birmingham family that I didn't know existed so the quick answers you provided are very much appreciated, thank you. My grandfather (Daisy Violet's husband) lived in Poplar Street, Smethwick and it looks some of his family moved to Brearley Street (5 court 1 but I'm sure what this means) so any information about these areas/addresses would be gratefully appreciated.

I'm in the process of discovering a whole raft of Birmingham family that I didn't know existed so the quick answers you provided are very much appreciated, thank you. My grandfather (Daisy Violet's husband) lived in Poplar Street, Smethwick and it looks some of his family moved to Brearley Street (5 court 1 but I'm sure what this means) so any information about these areas/addresses would be gratefully appreciated.
Unfortunately not Court 1 but two images showing Court 4, Brearley Street. The doorway to the right in the second image looks like the doorway the family are standing by in the first image.
Crt4_Brearley St.jpg
BrearleyStCrt4.jpg

images from Shoothill collection

great photos - very evocative. I still confused about the house numbering - what does, for example, '5 court 1' actually mean?
They were Courtyards or Yards accessed by passages from the streets and there could be several numbered courts off a street. In each court the houses in them would be numbered. My understanding of '5 Court 1' is the 5th house in Court 1 but I could be wrong and maybe a map is needed to show the court and street.
An example address would be Numbers 1, 2, and 3, Number 19 Court, Brearley Street. There is a big thread with lots of pics titled 'Courtyards and yards of brum'
oldmohawk

Last edited:
Just wondering what number in Bolton Road this is... We lived at 15 Warwick Terrace (15/438) & my Gran lived at 14 Stratford Terrace (14/436) - our family lived there for over 40 years. The grocery shop at the bottom left hand side of the terrace on Bolton Road was owned by Mr & Mrs Baker, their daughter Maureen and on the right hand side was the wholesale shop owned by Mr & Mrs Hipkiss. I lived there myself from 1945 to 1966 when I got married. My Mom lived there till 1971. Our name is Henderson... Does any of this ring a bell with you please. From what I can see, Warwick Terrace & Stratford Terrace is now Keats Place - would that be right I wonder...
Hi Audrey, I remember you very well. I'm Geoff Stokes & you might remember our family? We lived at 12/438; my brothers were Tony & Terry & my mom & dad were Frank & Rose. I still remember those fantastic bonfire nights in your backyard; great times.

Yes, of course, i should have been able to work that out for myself doh!

Would 8 back of 16 also be on the same map but obviously somewhere on the opposite side?

The actual numbering of back houses is a bit variable. Below I have enlarged the top left of the map so it can be read better. No 16 is in red, and court behind is in blue. However, on the map, the houses on the right of the court have been labeled 1-4 back 14, and the houses on the left hand side of the court it looks like 1-5 back 12. So the house you are looking for is one of the ones in the blue court, but cannot say definitely which one

Attachments

• map c1955 showing 16 Nolton road and back houses.jpg
    map c1955 showing 16 Nolton road and back houses.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 35
thanks mikejee is there a map that shows carrington road extending further to see where it began and ended?

Do you remember Sylvia and Gordon King, and the Haddon family lived opposite the shop. Also Mrs Adams faggot and pea shop, went up with a jug every Friday for our tea.
hi CaroleC would i be right in thinking your house was probably the last before golden hillock road and the newspaper shop and hardware shop although it was called something other than hardware(just remembered)it was called ironmongers

Last edited:
High i have just found this website about small heath i also went to oakley road school infants juniors and seniors my name is wendy maiden name hayfield my brother and sister also went there it would be nice to hear from anyone that remembers us.

Back