• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bolton Road, Small Heath

Yes, of course, i should have been able to work that out for myself doh!

Would 8 back of 16 also be on the same map but obviously somewhere on the opposite side?

The actual numbering of back houses is a bit variable. Below I have enlarged the top left of the map so it can be read better. No 16 is in red, and court behind is in blue. However, on the map, the houses on the right of the court have been labeled 1-4 back 14, and the houses on the left hand side of the court it looks like 1-5 back 12. So the house you are looking for is one of the ones in the blue court, but cannot say definitely which one

Attachments

• map c1955 showing 16 Nolton road and back houses.jpg
    map c1955 showing 16 Nolton road and back houses.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 35
High i have just found this website about small heath i also went to oakley road school infants juniors and seniors my name is wendy maiden name hayfield my brother and sister also went there it would be nice to hear from anyone that remembers us.

Hello Wendy and welcome to the forum. Hopefully someone will recognise your name. If you say the dates you were at the school too that might help. Enjoy the forum. Viv.

Hello viv i left the school in 1961 My family lived in byron road and my dad had a fish and chip shop in golden hillock road My brothers name was robin he was a year younger my sister was 5 years older and left senior school before we went there. i went out with ron mansell at school and we got married in 1970 i am also in touch with jacqueline palmer and she used to live in bolton road .

Hi this is wendy hayfield i was at oakley road school from 1957 to 1961 i do remember the haddon family brian was in the same class as me my mom also had the corner shop in butler street south with the bookies on the other side i also remember georgie deakin and carol cross i still keep in touch with jacqueline palmer who married raymond morris both lived in boltol road although raymond died . Its so nice to see all the old photos of small heath my brother robin and i came to look round the old place last year and saw all the changes we both left birmingham back in the 70 and 80 me down to devon and robin to ireland would love to hear from anyone that remembers either of us .

I lived in cooksey avenue in the 60s there were shop on both end of avenue but can't see them in photo
sandy12,
Our family lived directly opposite the bottom end of the Avenue. The shop on the corner at our end was Tommy Tyers greengrocers, and the shop at the top end was Mrs Curley's general store. Tommy Tyers was quite a character and went to live somewhere in Earlswood.

Welcome boomy. Thanks for adding to this thread. Hopefully Sandy12 will see your post. Viv.

Hi I found this website when looking for information about Bolton Road, I lived there as a child, I think we moved out around 1974 when I was about 8. We lived at number 309. I have vague memories of a protest in the street about the condition of the houses and it being filmed by the local TV station ATV I think. Can anyone remember that? My husband's family also lived on Bolton Road but not sure of the number, their surname was Rose.

There certainly was a film about the protest and it involved some local councillors etc. I have had a look, but cannot find it at the moment.

There certainly was a film about the protest and it involved some local councillors etc. I have had a look, but cannot find it at the moment.
I've been trying to track the footage down as I'm sure my mom will be in it. Funny my husband doesn't recall anything about the protest, he'd lived in the area longer and is older than me so should, in theory, remember more.

Not surprised about your husband not knowing about it Helen, no internet, mobile 'phones and the paraphernalia that goes with all that. Most men were just content with earning a living and often enjoying their pastimes when they could. ;)
I am convinced that much of the depression that some people seem to suffer from today is brought about by the continual deluge of news - usually bad and miserable - that we get. 1973 was, I believe, a time before the multiplicity of 24 hour news programmes and internet information.

I have a vague recollection that Edwina Currie got involved with the protest, she may have been a local councillor at the time.

I have a vague recollection that Edwina Currie got involved with the protest, she may have been a local councillor at the time.

I know in the mid to late 70s she was a Birmingham Councillor and Chair of the Hosing Department

Love the pictures of Miles Street, I have the black & white one myself. If you walk up towards the bridge and turn left, that's Lawden Road where I lived until 1960. We lived in a flat like the ones that can be seen in Miles Street. Happy times...!!!

Hello Peter, I also went to Oakley Road school, when were you there.
I know that there has been a long time since I looked at the site but could you tell me more about yourself Carole? O had kept in touch with Peter Winall for a few years he even flew over to visit us in the west of Ireland.

High i have just found this website about small heath i also went to oakley road school infants juniors and seniors my name is wendy maiden name hayfield my brother and sister also went there it would be nice to hear from anyone that remembers us.
Hello Wendy. My name is Peter Wright and I went to Oakley Road school during the fifties and left in 61. Killer Evans was one of the teachers and Mrs Bunny the music teacher. In Miles street I had a friend Peter Winall and Barry Jones then.

Hi, I am new to the forum, I found this almost straight away! The shop was owned by my grandfather Reginald Burgess and I lived there until I was eight, I went to Oakley Road school. This certainly stirred up some memories

Hi Les,

Do you know what Reginald Burgess's Parents names were? Fred & fanny Burgess??

Last edited:
Did your grandfather have a son called Ronald?
Later had shops on Stratford Road Sparkhill?
Hi,

Bishopsmate,

We were always told that my Great-Grandfather Fred Burgess & Wife Fanny, Ran a Green- Grouser Shop in Camp Hill, Boardsely Green, End of the Stratford Rd

Lelou

Last edited:
Just wondering what number in Bolton Road this is... We lived at 15 Warwick Terrace (15/438) & my Gran lived at 14 Stratford Terrace (14/436) - our family lived there for over 40 years. The grocery shop at the bottom left hand side of the terrace on Bolton Road was owned by Mr & Mrs Baker, their daughter Maureen and on the right hand side was the wholesale shop owned by Mr & Mrs Hipkiss. I lived there myself from 1945 to 1966 when I got married. My Mom lived there till 1971. Our name is Henderson... Does any of this ring a bell with you please. From what I can see, Warwick Terrace & Stratford Terrace is now Keats Place - would that be right I wonder...

Hi Audrey, I am Jacqueline Hodges - I lived with my mom and dad lodging at your gran's house. I remember you and your sister Pauline. I used to push your brother Derek up and down the terrace in his pram and also to the shops at the top of Golden Hillock Road.

Hi all came across this site and in need bit of help.
Does anybody remember the fight involving the Gypsies taking place in Sherborne Road in 1962 or 63? Does anybody remember the Gypsy gentleman named George Day from those times? o.k.a: Bill, Gerry. Best friends with Victor and Roger Southall. George used to do bare knuckle boxing. I would be grateful for any information.
Kind regards claire

Just wondering what number in Bolton Road this is... We lived at 15 Warwick Terrace (15/438) & my Gran lived at 14 Stratford Terrace (14/436) - our family lived there for over 40 years. The grocery shop at the bottom left hand side of the terrace on Bolton Road was owned by Mr & Mrs Baker, their daughter Maureen and on the right hand side was the wholesale shop owned by Mr & Mrs Hipkiss. I lived there myself from 1945 to 1966 when I got married. My Mom lived there till 1971. Our name is Henderson... Does any of this ring a bell with you please. From what I can see, Warwick Terrace & Stratford Terrace is now Keats Place - would that be right I wonder...

Hi Audrey, I am Jacqueline Hodges - I lived with my mom and dad lodging at your gran's house. I remember you and your sister Pauline. I used to push your brother Derek up and down the terrace in his pram and also to the shops at the top of Golden Hillock Road.

Back