• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bolton Road, Small Heath

Just joined the forum and recognised a neighbour of mine. CaroleC who lived at 11/334 - well we lived at 12/334 - The Wellings family. Two girls called Pauline and Denise! Remember many names of people in the terrace especially Mr Burgess who owned the shop. My father was Albert who drove the yellow reliant. Who didn't know this man!!!

Well I never, I remember your family really well, Im sure you remember mine too!!! are your parents still around, my mom lives on Chelmsey Wood. x

How lovely to have a response. Sadly they have both been gone for over 35 years. Mum died in 1980 and dad soon after. Moving from Bolton Road broke my fathers heart and as you probably know he was the last one to leave the terrace as he just didn't want to go. I came across the forum quite by chance and as I saw your name I put 2 and 2 together and you talked of your brother and baby sister in the pram coming back from the club. Then I saw another post with your address and I instantly knew it was our neighbour. Denise x

We lost our dad abut 15 years ago but mom still lives in Chelmsley Wood, everyone else is fine, do you remember Sheila at No 10, I remember all the people up the terrace, we certainly had some characters there for sure. Lovely to hear from you. Carole x

Yes I remember Sheila at No 10. I was bridesmaid at her wedding along with her younger sister Rita. I also remember their mother and father Alfie and Ivy I think. Next door to them was a lady called "Jurys" I think and she took a male lodger. Does that ring any bells with you Carole. Sorry to hear you lost dad. Your mum is doing good isent she. I am still in shock really because it was such a long time ago and I think as we get older we think of it more. Do you remember Evelyn who lived opposite Alfie and Ivy Taylor and Evelyns father Old Man Hill? I used to think he was my granddad Ha Ha. Love to hear more tales Carole. Keep them coming. Your brother was George and younger sister was Cheryl correct? Denise x

and across the road there was a shop selling cigaretttes etc i think near an entry that side of the road.and which school did you attend?

anyone remember the wool shop on golden hillock road opposite bolton road a few yards from byron road?

Hello anyone remember msrs clarke she lived round about 475 bolton road and was a teacher cant remember where now.these houses were set back with front garden.allthe other houses on bolton road were onto pavement

Hello. I am new to this. I lived at No 20 Miles street Bordesley and went to school at Oakley Road sec modern. I cant fine any pictures of Miles street and on the internet it dose not exist any more. Anyone have a photo please? Peter.

When my late Grandparents got married they gave their respective addresses as 22 and 23 Miles Street.

I always wondered whether they were next door to each other or on opposite sides of the road.

Numbering in Miles St was consecutive, so 22 would be next to 23

Last edited:
I will slightly alter my last statement. According to the 1950 OS map, where rebuilding had begun, the new houses were enot numbered consecutively. However, presumably your grandparents were there before hat, so for them the statement is true. The c 1889 map below shows the position of 22 & 23.. Other than the loss of the malthouse, there seems little difference to this map in 1937

map_c_1889_Miles_St__showing_nos_22___23.jpg

hi mike. i saw your map of bolton road, please could you tell me where 295 was. my gt grand parents lived there till 1950. google maps show me just green verge. mom remembers sitting on the fence at the end of the garden watching the trains go by
thanks
zena
edit
sorry just looked again its not bolton road but just under the heading bolton road

Zena
As you can see from the map (in red) it is opposite the school, which i gather is now an arts college.

map_c_1951_showing_295_Bolton_road.jpg

View attachment 92576

This is a picture of Bolton Road in the late 50s early 60s, we lived up the terrace just to the left of the grocers owned by the Burgess family.

Hi, I am new to the forum, I found this almost straight away! The shop was owned by my grandfather Reginald Burgess and I lived there until I was eight, I went to Oakley Road school. This certainly stirred up some memories

What lovely 'photos thank you so much, they made me smile thinking back to my younger (much younger) days.

The boy is my brother, the girl on the right is my cousin and the girl by the cat is me about 1955.The next picture shows where the annex used to be it was hit by a bomb so this one is just after the war. The next one is about 1952 or 3 shows me in my Grandmothers arms my brother and the tall man standing is my uncle Mr Burgess's son. The two ladies worked for my grandfather one was called Mrs Binx she was Scottish. The annexe had been rebuilt. I also remember Jonnie Smith that lived up the terrace he kept pidgeons, a Robert Key, Georgie Cross and Susan Salmon, do those names mean anything to anybody? My aunt kept a Drapers and wool shop just down the road from Grandads

The boy is my brother, the girl on the right is my cousin and the girl by the cat is me about 1955.The next picture shows where the annex used to be it was hit by a bomb so this one is just after the war. The next one is about 1952 or 3 shows me in my Grandmothers arms my brother and the tall man standing is my uncle Mr Burgess's son. The two ladies worked for my grandfather one was called Mrs Binx she was Scottish. The annexe had been rebuilt. I also remember Jonnie Smith that lived up the terrace he kept pidgeons, a Robert Key, Georgie Cross and Susan Salmon, do those names mean anything to anybody? My aunt kept a Drapers and wool shop just down the road from Grandads
i cant remember althogh my younger brother does remember mr burgess he went to oakley school.the name burgess does ring a bell though.i lived near the golden hillock rd end

Back