• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Boars Head Inn

Re: The boars head

Alan we always called in the Boars Head on our way from town and as Mike said it has been boarded up for several months. There was a very bad fire in the kitchen and that's why we thought it had closed. I rode my uncles pony Prince into the bar when I was a kid but can't find the photo anywhere. Did most of my courting [before I met Pete] in the little room at the back and we had mom's sending off do there. I do hate to pass it now and see it all boarded up. Jean.

Been closed some 12 months or more - I think some Indian Curry outfit tried to open a business here ???

Last edited by a moderator:

I think they did give it a go Blackham 90 but when we went to give it a go it was closed. Jean.

On the photo Wendy posted way back in 2007, the building looks rather Jacobean - similar in style to Aston Hall, was it a grand house prior to becoming a pub?

hi all..about 18 months ago there were plans to turn the boars head into an indian restaurant but due to much local oppositon the plans were shelved..as jean said there was a fire in the kitchens a few months ago but i dont know if this was the reason for its closure....

lyn

I wonder if the Boars Head has gone the way like the Crossed Guns, Land worth more than the Pub, always knew approaching turn off for home on M6, seeing the Boars Head peeping over the Parapet, be a shame if that landmark disappears.

see a lot of indians in turbans working there most days when i pass. They must have bought it as it was up for sale a few months ago.

According to The Great Barr Observer The Boars Head is reopening June/July not as a Drinking establishment but a Restaurant serving foods from around The World. ....." Says it will put Bham back on the map"..... We,ll See.

Thanks Topsy I will be giving it a try. We no longer have the free paper delivered as they were always left sticking out of the letter box but will ask my friend if she still has hers. m Thanks again. Jean.

Of all the times we have used the boars head in the past , i had never noticed what was written above the door . I do hope the new owners leave it as it was.

image.jpeg

topsy i have never noticed that either and yes lets hope it stays there..will try to keep any eye on this...

lyn

We passed the Boars Head yesterday and they are working inside but the windows are still boarded up. A sign said something like Multi Quisine or something similar. Hope it does open up again as it was our calling in place after shopping.

hi jean..the last i heard was that it was not opening up as a pub again but another eating place for various types of food so the name multi quisine would be about right...

lyn

This Boar's Head photo might well have been on this thread before the hacking. Sorry, I don't know the date as I just saved it without any details. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330536602.452059.jpg

oh well done viv...thats the pic i posted ages back and i didnt save it...

lyn

Great photos Topsy. Your first photo in post #26 shows Bloye's boar's head on the post in front of the pub. Bloye was also supposed to have designed some internal features too. But I guess everything will have disappeared by now. I find it incredible that this pub has had 3 forms in such a relatively short space of time. Well at least the place is still standing. Viv.

Thanks curry and chips. Trouble is with this type of pub I don't eat that much and it would be a waste of money. Mind you Pete would make up for what I couldn't eat!!!.

Of all the times we have used the boars head in the past , i had never noticed what was written above the door . I do hope the new owners leave it as it was.QUOTE]

I've just been to The Boars Head Buffet World and saw this above the door!
Quite modern inside, Asian style wallpaper and decorations.

Back