• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Boars Head Inn

W

Wendy

This is the Boars Head Inn, Aldridge Road, Perry Barr about 1934.

image.jpeg
Replacement image 11/4/16
image may vary from original

Last edited by a moderator:
The boar Head Inn

Hi

Again Pub changed alot.
Located near The Lucas Sports ground near
College Road.
You have guessed it a pint before 90 minutes
of Gladitorial contest.What the fitness Brigade
would say today but has those tackles crunched in
that pint helped.
Ansells Brewery M&B TI GKN Kynochs those
years in the Birmingham Works for Lucas GKS.

Mike Jenks

Mike that door on the left memories of Saturday evenings with our Aunts and Uncles and Cousins, if I remember right you had to go down stairs to the room.

I also have a Photo taken in the 60s outside with mates from our Football team one Sunday after a match in Perry Hall:)

Anyone been up the lane behind there to see if there are any remains of the Perry Village Water Mill. I think that is the place.

No Rupert I never noticed anything when I went up lanes in my youth:)

Seriously I didn't even know there was a lane behind, 60 years to find that out, this Forum comes up Trumps again8)

Sorry Alf. It's on the other side of the M6. There seems to be a lane running up from the junction of Aldridge and Church Roads. There is a stream there too. If you go up there about 300 or 400 yards it may have been around there. Keep on going and you will come to the reservoir park. I think the mill would have been to the right of the lane. I believe the lane crosses over the stream and that would have been the tailrace. The ground seems to tend higher to the right of the lane, going north, so that a leat from a pond would have been led along there and would have fell off at the water wheel down to below lane level and passed under the lane. Maybe the mill was in that area and the lane may have led to it. I am only going from Google Earth and elevations are a bit vague. Sorry, getting a bit off topic but maybe Moma will not mind.
Regards.

Last edited:
I knew this country was in mess these days but today I realise it is far worse than even I imagined. I live in Stafford now but went to Witton Cemetry today to visit mom and dads grave, passed The Boars Head and it was closed and boarded up !!!!:redface:

My mom and dad used it when he came out of the Army in 1947 and on and off ever since till he died last year. He would have been shocked to see that.

Me and our kid who lives in Great Barr used to like a drink in The Napper

Mau-reece:D

The Boar's Bonce was once managed by Jimmy Dugdale, who played in Aston Villa's 1957 FA Cup-winning team.

I always thought it was a bit of a rough place, to be honest. I can recall a Lucas Sports Day (in the 1960's, I should think) when a huge fight broke out in the bar, and spilled out onto the main road, disrupting the traffic.

Big Gee

Zak The Boars Head was closed for some time of late due to a kitchen fire. I am sure it is now open. Jean.

Two nicknames i havnt heard before.My brother and myself always refered to it as The whores Bed.
Moss.

Mossg went past the Boars Head Pub yesterday and it is well and truly boarded up this time. What a shame as I used to go in the lounge at the back [tiny room] with my very first boyfriend and even rode my uncles pony in the bar. Wish I still had that photo and Prince was very well behaved on that occasion. Sad isn't it. Jean.

I went past here yesterday, as GG says, it's boarded up.

A friend of mine got the sack from here for punching a customer.

Shame to hear that the Boar's Head is boarded up and closed.I don't remember when it was painted yellow or the light colour it is in this
link. There are a couple of other local pubs on this link. The Stockland is closed, of course, now the Boar's Head. There is also a picture of the Hare and Hounds in Marsh Hill still going. https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37494/

Jennyann forgive me if I am wrong but the Stockland is now a Chinese Buffet. We have been there a few times and I think it is called Buffet Island. I may be mistaken but it is the large old pub that is just off the Slade road. We used to call in the Boars head a few years back for lunch and we had our friends and family back after moms funeral and the staff were so lovely. They had moved from the Beeches pub a couple of years previous. Jean.

The Stockland is now Modern China, the Trees and the Navigation are Buffet Islands.

Thanks I was getting the name mixed up with the other one we went to when it opened. I think that would come under Tybern road. There is another one opened by us the Trees that is now a Chinese Buffet establishment. Jean.

You are well up on your pubs beaflehole only frequented a few in my time I am afraid. Have you a favourite of all time boozer?. Jean.

Hi Jean

I've always been fond of The Trocedoro in town and The Black Horse in Gosta Green, unfortunately the latter has gone downhill of late. The Queens Head in Steelhouse Lane was also a great pub but I went in recently and it's changed it's name to Jekyll & Hyde and changed it completely.

Closer to home I probably spent more time in The Malt Shovel on the Newton Road than any other pub but having gone back there a couple of weeks ago for the first time in years that seems to be geared more towards carveries than actually drinking. I spent many happy times in Garden Gate (I took my wife for our first date in there, lucky woman!) but I wouldn't go in there now.

Hi Jean: Sorry I meant that the Stockland Inn as we locals used to call it is closed as a Pub. I have heard that the Chinese Buffet is good and I'll have to try it out. I was last in there must be six or seven years ago with my daughter and it was looking very sad. I remember the glory days of that place as I grew up in the Stockland Green area. My brother used the Stockland and belonged to the Dominoes team for several years. An
amazing building which will disappear one day I fear.

Izzabelene that would have been the time I used it. Jennyann the first time we went to the buffet is was great but the second time the meat in their food was rather rubbery. Bye. Jean.

Jean,I can imagine the owner coming on line shortly and saying"So you thought our food was rubbery please tell yor fwends.
Moss.

Boars Head
me and my brother and his mates used to go in there frequently in the late 70's
bus stop outside all the way home to Dovedale rd Perry common...very handy
I remember they got one of the first space invaders machines I had ever seen
and i think they had a darts team

here is another lovely pic of the boars head to go with the one wendy posted:)

lyn

image.jpeg

Image replaced 11/4/16
as per post #31

Last edited by a moderator:
The boars head

HI PUB CRAWLERS
I Went to warmley sutton coldfield this morning to deliver a pc monitor
to a client and on my travels i went through perry barr aldridge rd
and at the bottom of the king standing rd , i noticed the boars head was all boarded up; does any body knows how long it as been like that
the sign for good food was still posted up on the face of the bulding
then i went down moor lane to back track and seen the safe harbour s still standing and looking healthy
i was shocked and horrifyed to see the state of aston lane and much surprized to see tescos built there
what happened to the sweet ware house that was there for donkeys years
all i can say is i am glad i moved from birmingham ,when we did years ago
sorry guys i do not rate brum as the second city in the world as we did years ago
broad st and the night scene is great but the inner city no way ;
i hope these words do not offend members
but i am a true brummy and raised and dragged up in astonian
i will never forget my roots and when it comes to it
i will stand by the brummie flag
i also seen and went past the gun makers arms lozzells and the union
it was either closed down or up for sale
and down gerrard st i went and up pittford street and passed ellen street
i was amazed to see the old brookfield st school till standing
and those door ways of the school when i was a little whipper snapper how many brookie girls i stood there doing abit of snocking
those memories was flashing through my mind
have a nice day every body best wishes Astonian ;;;;

Re: The boars head

Its the way of the world. Same thing happening in France to village cafes. Cheap booze at supermarkets, can't smoke whats the point in going, can't have a drink cos of Drink drivink. The various goverments have killed them off. Its called "The Law of unintended consequences"

Re: The boars head

Hi the Boars head has been shut for about six to nine month's now just joined the long list of pub closures,What a pity.
Mike

Back