• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Blakenhale Junior School

Hi Guys, I attended Blakenhale Infants and Juniors from around 56-61then attended the Comp. I remember the glutinous frog spawn tapioca pudding sometimes with a colour like violet and baked trays of crusty pastry topped dishes served in rectangular trays, all served in the canteen which I think was attached to the infants school. The play ground seemed huge to me, cricket and football and also marbles games, which some enterprising guys would set up and if you rolled your marleys through the cut outs in the cardboard you would win a marble but if you missed they kept your marley.
Mostly remember Mr Owen, Welsh he was and a brilliant teacher. He used to take us for football in the hall which then seemed big. He put himself to the task of making some five a side goals out of timber and formed netting with some thick string. He was the first to ever mention and show us how to bend a shot at goal by using either the inside or outside of your foot- he called it a banana shot for obvious reasons.
Maypole dancing with the girls or was it called something rural, cant remember.
Bit of a walk from home in Frodesley Road, past the Chestnuts, halfway down Garretts Green road and then left through an alley.
Happy days
Hi, like you I thought Mr Owen was brilliant. I never stayed dinners so I missed the 'joys' of frog spawn and such. I do remember all the marbles games, from memory there was 'marley' season, though Lord knows why! I remember the dancing too, I think we called it Country Dancing. Apart from hating it and being useless at it, you had to hold a girls hand! I had a friend who lived in Frodesley called Karen who married my best friend. Believe it or not their first house was at the top of the alley between Garretts Green Road and Outmore Road. We used to play at football on that green.

Malcolm

Hi everyone, me and my brother went to the infants and then junior school. I was born in 1955 and my brother in 1954. So we would have been there just after some of you guys. I do remember some of the names mentioned here. We were living in chestnuts avenue. I do remember being run over by a milk float as I crossed the driveway at garrets green college. Woke up sitting in the front office of the police station. Happy days!!
Mikey, we used to live facing the College. How ironic being injured by a vehicle designed (along with milk deliveries) to be the perfect environmental system. I guess they took you to the Police Station at the bottom of Sheldon Heath Road. I once reported my mom to them because she made me eat bubble and squeak! I was given a lecture in behaving for my mom and appreciating what she did for me. I did feel a bit cheated.

Malcolm

Yes Malcolm those primary schools you mentioned formed the group from which the local representative team was chosen. The trials were at Mapledene I remember and I was fortunate to get picked. Something to be said for Mr Owens training methods eh?

When i was looking through some old photos I found a couple of the Coronation Celebrations held at Blakenhale School. I will try and dig them out and post them. One with a group of gentlemen dressed as women and comical characters has already been posted on here somewhere. I don't know why we had a copy as I don't recognise any of the people! Malcolm
IMG-20220528-WA0003.jpgother 1953 Blakehale school
Queens Cornation.

When i was looking through some old photos I found a couple of the Coronation Celebrations held at Blakenhale School. I will try and dig them out and post them. One with a group of gentlemen dressed as women and comical characters has already been posted on here somewhere. I don't know why we had a copy as I don't recognise any of the people! Malcolm

Attachments

• IMG-20220528-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220528-WA0003.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 9
Hi,

Can you remember this local dust up at Blakenhale School (July 1960). The articles are from the Birmingham Post. I remember it because next morning we found quite a few coins - including a shilling! - on the pavement. Presummably fallen out of pockets while the fighting went on or from people running away. I believe the lad that was hurt was stabbed - or that was the local tittle-tattle at least. I think his name was John something.

Malcolm

1657702272360.png 1657702354352.png

Hi Malcolm, yes although a few years younger than you I remember my family talking about the big fight at my school. Bicycle chains and knuckledusters were mentioned i think. Teddy Boys, Elvis and Bill Haley, Marlon Brando when he played that part of a bikie. The world was beginning to change. The Beatles were a more palatable change, yet to come, although my Dad thought they were long haired louts.
Just out of interest I believe you were at the Comp with my sister Joy ?

Hi Malcolm, yes although a few years younger than you I remember my family talking about the big fight at my school. Bicycle chains and knuckledusters were mentioned i think. Teddy Boys, Elvis and Bill Haley, Marlon Brando when he played that part of a bikie. The world was beginning to change. The Beatles were a more palatable change, yet to come, although my Dad thought they were long haired louts.
Just out of interest I believe you were at the Comp with my sister Joy ?
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying I was at a nieces wedding over the weekend. Like you I remember it being a great local scandal. I didn't really know that they had dances there as I was a bit to young to be interested. I started to get interested in music mainly on a school trip to Belgium just as the Beatles had released 'From me to you'. We were all trying to sing it and be cool!

I didn't go to the Comp I'm afraid. I was born in December 52 so I was at Blakenhale until mid 63 I guess so I may have known Joy. What was her surname?

My parents have died now so I can confess this. Did anyone else collect pop bottles out of the bins in Poolway Park, just up the Hollyfaste Road near Blakenhale School to collect the 3d back off the bottle to buy a 'jubbley'. I used to like the Vimto ones.

Malcolm

My parents have died now so I can confess this. Did anyone else collect pop bottles out of the bins in Poolway Park, just up the Hollyfaste Road near Blakenhale School to collect the 3d back off the bottle to buy a 'jubbley'. I used to like the Vimto ones.

Malcolm
Hi Mal,we didn’t do it from poolway, but did from the Cabin, & the outdoor atthe top of Comberton rd. before the King of Bohemia was built there.

Hi Mal,we didn’t do it from poolway, but did from the Cabin, & the outdoor atthe top of Comberton rd. before the King of Bohemia was built there.
Hi Dave,

We never did the Cabin or the Comberton outdoor but very occassionally we hunted in the bins around the Chestnuts at the bottom of Hollyfaste. Trouble was it was a bit near home - we lived opposite the College - so you might gets spotted by a neighbour.

Did 'Vincents' the ice cream van come up towards your road? He was great and if you asked nicely would give us kids a few broken wafers.

Malcolm

Hi Dave,

We never did the Cabin or the Comberton outdoor but very occassionally we hunted in the bins around the Chestnuts at the bottom of Hollyfaste. Trouble was it was a bit near home - we lived opposite the College - so you might gets spotted by a neighbour.

Did 'Vincents' the ice cream van come up towards your road? He was great and if you asked nicely would give us kids a few broken wafers.

Malcolm
Yes, Vincent, ( I believe his firstname was Ernie, that’s what he told me anyway). Great bloke. I remember one Sunday afternoon, Allan Evans & me were sitting on our kerb, when Vince came round Isaidcto Al “ want one” so I want to the van & asked him to sell me a block cut it in half, & put a wafer on each end which he willingly did, never seen a bigger wafer since.Oh & a girl I was at the compwith (Susan Pow) recon he was her uncle!

Yes, Vincent, ( I believe his firstname was Ernie, that’s what he told me anyway). Great bloke. I remember one Sunday afternoon, Allan Evans & me were sitting on our kerb, when Vince came round Isaidcto Al “ want one” so I want to the van & asked him to sell me a block cut it in half, & put a wafer on each end which he willingly did, never seen a bigger wafer since.Oh & a girl I was at the compwith (Susan Pow) recon he was her uncle!
I never knew that we just used to call him 'Vince' assumming that must have been his name. I must say too, that wafer sounds like heaven, wouldn't mind one today in this heat!

Dave,

Did you know my cousin Keith from Blakenhale or senior school? I have been trying to trace him or his brothers Derek, Kevin and Graham for a few weeks now with no luck. Last time I saw him as I said when we talked before was at their house in Garretts Green Lane.

Dave,

Did you know my cousin Keith from Blakenhale or senior school? I have been trying to trace him or his brothers Derek, Kevin and Graham for a few weeks now with no luck. Last time I saw him as I said when we talked before was at their house in Garretts Green Lane.
Yes Mal I knew Keith way back but not from school he was a mate of Allan Evans, my next door neighbour, & another mate Dave Miller who were both at school with him, sadly both Allan & Dave are no longer with us. Ain’t seen Keith since the 70’s.

Yes Mal I knew Keith way back but not from school he was a mate of Allan Evans, my next door neighbour, & another mate Dave Miller who were both at school with him, sadly both Allan & Dave are no longer with us. Ain’t seen Keith since the 70’s.
I knew Allan because I was on a school trip to Belgium with him about 1962/63, he was in the fourth year then and I was in the third. Someone kicked a bottle on the beach and it hit him across the forehead and gave him a bad cut, I'm sure he had to have stitches. Alan may have known Arnold Farmer who was a second cousin of mine on my mom's side he lived in Hadland Road too.

I assume Alan knew him from school. Not to worry I'll keep searching.

We all knew the Farmers, They lived on our road at No. 12. I could tell you a tale or two ,Allen was always in the wars, Playing cricket (bottom of the lamp post for Wickets) Allen was the Keeperm Pete Vaughan batting, Al thought the ball was wude, moved over to catch it te same time pete swung the bat, Wollop right in the gob, out like a light!! Arnold married Sylvia Hitchen at No. 14, but when they were courting He used to climb on the front door roof to watch her getting ready for bed through a gap she left in the curtains!!

I knew Allan because I was on a school trip to Belgium with him about 1962/63, he was in the fourth year then and I was in the third. Someone kicked a bottle on the beach and it hit him across the forehead and gave him a bad cut, I'm sure he had to have stitches. Alan may have known Arnold Farmer who was a second cousin of mine on my mom's side he lived in Hadland Road too.

I assume Alan knew him from school. Not to worry I'll keep searching.
You might have known Philip Crouch who lived opposite me at No. 3 he's on here under the name

lurchphoic . he gives an accurate account abourt Roy Allen's bro getting shot in his eye at Arnolds. ( dont know why my fonts changed!!​

We all knew the Farmers, They lived on our road at No. 12. I could tell you a tale or two ,Allen was always in the wars, Playing cricket (bottom of the lamp post for Wickets) Allen was the Keeperm Pete Vaughan batting, Al thought the ball was wude, moved over to catch it te same time pete swung the bat, Wollop right in the gob, out like a light!! Arnold married Sylvia Hitchen at No. 14, but when they were courting He used to climb on the front door roof to watch her getting ready for bed through a gap she left in the curtains!!
Hi Dave,

You are up early. Sam Farmer (who died about 1956) was my maternal grandmother's brother. So the Farmer children were my mom's cousins and I guess my second cousins. I know there was quite a lot of them. One of the daughters Hazel used to baby sit me when I was about 3/4. The only other one I can really remember is Arnold. I heard that he died last year I think. So any stories about the Farmers let me know. That 'We all know the Farmers' has a touch of juicy gossip!!

I can't remember if I said before but I knew a few other families from Hadland Road because they were in my year at school, Melvin and Marilyn Mitchison, Robert Morrow and Roger Mullins.

Malcolm

Hi Dave,

You are up early. Sam Farmer (who died about 1956) was my maternal grandmother's brother. So the Farmer children were my mom's cousins and I guess my second cousins. I know there was quite a lot of them. One of the daughters Hazel used to baby sit me when I was about 3/4. The only other one I can really remember is Arnold. I heard that he died last year I think. So any stories about the Farmers let me know. That 'We all know the Farmers' has a touch of juicy gossip!!

I can't remember if I said before but I knew a few other families from Hadland Road because they were in my year at school, Melvin and Marilyn Mitchison, Robert Morrow and Roger Mullins.

Malcolm
Couldn’t lie in with. the heat. I don’t know Roger Mullins, but knew most of the other families on the road.As for stories about the Farmers, not much more to tell, except that he & his mates nicked some headlampreflectors from Remploy scrap bins on Garretts Green, & Annie made a search light that he shone into Sylvia’s bedroom! He also had the best & fastest trolly with a real steering wheel from a car, the wheel was bigger so may have come from a wagon. ( he was one of the bigger kids, though not by much) we all used to sit on top of the school fence on Friday nights listening to the bands at the “Blake” playing rock & roll. There were quite a few fights there at times when gage came over from Alum Rock, & Saltley.

Couldn’t lie in with. the heat. I don’t know Roger Mullins, but knew most of the other families on the road.As for stories about the Farmers, not much more to tell, except that he & his mates nicked some headlampreflectors from Remploy scrap bins on Garretts Green, & Annie made a search light that he shone into Sylvia’s bedroom! He also had the best & fastest trolly with a real steering wheel from a car, the wheel was bigger so may have come from a wagon. ( he was one of the bigger kids, though not by much) we all used to sit on top of the school fence on Friday nights listening to the bands at the “Blake” playing rock & roll. There were quite a few fights there at times when gage came over from Alum Rock, & Saltley.
That's brilliant thank you. Next time I'm up in Brum, I'll get in touch and if you are up for it we can go for a pint (or two).

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm, thought you went to comp as you mentioned many in your year who did so you wouldnt have known my sister. We lived in Frodesley Rd and yes I remember Vince the ice cream man, always happy that guy. Did you get the guy who sold toffee apples from a two wheeled cart, scrumptious.

Hi Malcolm, thought you went to comp as you mentioned many in your year who did so you wouldnt have known my sister. We lived in Frodesley Rd and yes I remember Vince the ice cream man, always happy that guy. Did you get the guy who sold toffee apples from a two wheeled cart, scrumptious.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I knew a few people around your area. Sally Knight, Karen Lapthorne and beautiful girl who used to live opposite the newsagent at the bottom of the shops. I used to stand for hours outside the newsagent waiting for her to come out, which she rarely did! But as you say I wouldn't have known your sister.

Malcolm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I knew a few people around your area. Sally Knight, Karen Lapthorne and beautiful girl who used to live opposite the newsagent at the bottom of the shops. I used to stand for hours outside the newsagent waiting for her to come out, which she rarely did! But as you say I wouldn't have known your sister.

Malcolm
Reading through this section I remember Alan Evans, in my class for 4 years, Miss Lygo, Miss John, Mr Rees, Mr Davis. 3 Welsh, I of Italean decent. Shame to hear of his death in tradgic circumstances. Steve White lost his eye when a firework was thrown at him. Met him in a pub in the eighties. He lived in Admington Rd

Reading through this section I remember Alan Evans, in my class for 4 years, Miss Lygo, Miss John, Mr Rees, Mr Davis. 3 Welsh, I of Italean decent. Shame to hear of his death in tradgic circumstances. Steve White lost his eye when a firework was thrown at him. Met him in a pub in the eighties. He lived in Admington Rd
Hi, Alan was in the year above me at Blakenhale I basically knew him because I was on a school trip to Belgium with him in 1962 and he lived in Hadland Road near my second cousins the Farmers. There seems to be two lads who had eye injuries reading through all this thread again. Steven White who you mentioned and Roy Evans. What an awful coincidence.

Malcolm

Back