• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Blakenhale Junior School

There must have been a turn over of people from when we lived in Hadland Rd.! What you describe as "Farmers" was Brailsford's next down was Pearson's then Whitlock's and then I think William's.
Hi Devon Jim, Dave Nash here, I’ll reply when I Get time can’t believe I’ve missed all these memories !

Hi Phil, just realised who years, sorry. How are you? I remember well all these things, but need a bit of time to go through them all, having just joined, speak soon Dave.

Hi Jim, yes vaguely, but the onlyThames van I remember belonged to my uncle Sonny, who lived with us for a while, Having said that, most of my uncles & cousins lived at our house over the years! What is your surname Jim I can’t quite place you? The only Jim I can recall is Jimmy Whitlock. I remember most of the names you mention, & had forgotten some. I can’t remember who lived at No. 6 B4 the Brady’s moved in, & spoke to Steve Brady only last week when we were trying to decide who lived where!

No. 6 in my day were the Thomas family, the son was Kenny. Jimmy Whitlock was the little brother of Billy Whitlock. I lived at No 27, you may remember my younger brothers Ray and David.

No. 6 in my day were the Thomas family, the son was Kenny. Jimmy Whitlock was the little brother of Billy Whitlock. I lived at No 27, you may remember my younger brothers Ray and David.
Sorry Jim, I still need a surname please

Hi Malcolm, Dave Nash here, just joined & cant believe I missed all these memories, I’ll post again when I get more time.
Dave,

I amreally sorry I didn't get the usual note to say I had a message on here. Great to here from you. I used to live in Outmore Road opposite the college (which has now gone). I am pretty sure I knew you via my cousin Keith Robinson who lived in Garretts Green Lane for a couple of years. He joined the army and he moved to Manchester but I can't remember when and exactly which came first! I knew a few people in Hadland Road. My aunt Gertie Farmer and her family, Robert Morrow, Melvin & Marilyn Mitchinson. Anyway, hope you are keeping well.
Malcolm

Malcolm...... Alan Greensall here. I still remember being in your front room when the TV went off due to the President Kennedy being shot. I used to go to your house for lunch and loved the frozen Angel Delights. Another memory is when your dad got a mini. Remember getting in and how the start button was on the floor

Alan,

I am really sorry I missed your message. What a surprise to hear from you. What load of meomories to bring back. I remember your sister Joyce and brother Robert, he gave me an old pair of football boots. I remember we went on some huge bike ride and I borrowed Joyce's bike and it absolutely tipped down on us. As I remember you were a very fast runner and in the football team. The Kennedy memory is strange because I remembered it as being in your front room and we were playing with your Mecanno and your mom came in and told us. How weird, everyone says they remember where they were and we both agree we were together in a front room but can't agree which one! Old age! I do remember my dad's mini, didn't Robert have a Morris Minor? My dad died of this awful virus in April but up until then we visted him quite regularly, we live down in Porstmouth now, I often drive up Hollyfaste and see your old house. Hope you get this now. very best wishes Malcolm

Dave,

I amreally sorry I didn't get the usual note to say I had a message on here. Great to here from you. I used to live in Outmore Road opposite the college (which has now gone). I am pretty sure I knew you via my cousin Keith Robinson who lived in Garretts Green Lane for a couple of years. He joined the army and he moved to Manchester but I can't remember when and exactly which came first! I knew a few people in Hadland Road. My aunt Gertie Farmer and her family, Robert Morrow, Melvin & Marilyn Mitchinson. Anyway, hope you are keeping well.
Malcolm
Hi Malcolm, I’ve read your past posts, so am pretty up with what you remember, I knew Your Keith via Allen Evans & Dave Miller who were at Cockshut hill with him I believe. I didn’t know Mrs Farmer was your aunt. I haven’t seen Keith since he 60’s when I went out with his ex girlfriend Diane. We split after a few months & Di got married, then some years later we met up again & ended up tying the knot ourselves Just celebrated our Ruby anniversary!! Great to remember the old times, stay safe, Dave.

Hi Malcolm, I’ve read your past posts, so am pretty up with what you remember, I knew Your Keith via Allen Evans & Dave Miller who were at Cockshut hill with him I believe. I didn’t know Mrs Farmer was your aunt. I haven’t seen Keith since he 60’s when I went out with his ex girlfriend Diane. We split after a few months & Di got married, then some years later we met up again & ended up tying the knot ourselves Just celebrated our Ruby anniversary!! Great to remember the old times, stay safe, Dave.

Dave,
Thanks for getting back to me. Again I am sorry I never picked up your earlier post. Congratulations on your Ruby anniversary a mean feat these days! Like you I haven't seen Keith for years and years, my dad saw the family in about 2002 when Keith's dad, my dad's brother died. He went up to Manchester for the funeral but he said Keith's brother Kevin told him Keith had had mental health problems. I guess they were strange times though not as strange as they are now. By the way, if you can't really remember me I was the Rod Stewart fan who used to wear a yellow satin suit (but keep that to yourself!). Thanks for getting back to me. Malcolm

Dave,
Thanks for getting back to me. Again I am sorry I never picked up your earlier post. Congratulations on your Ruby anniversary a mean feat these days! Like you I haven't seen Keith for years and years, my dad saw the family in about 2002 when Keith's dad, my dad's brother died. He went up to Manchester for the funeral but he said Keith's brother Kevin told him Keith had had mental health problems. I guess they were strange times though not as strange as they are now. By the way, if you can't really remember me I was the Rod Stewart fan who used to wear a yellow satin suit (but keep that to yourself!). Thanks for getting back to me. Malcolm
Hi Mal, thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about Keith, the yellow suit sounds familiar, did you go to the rock disco’s at the Rio? Me & Allen Evans & a few others from that era did, & did you d.j. For a while?

Hi Mal, thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about Keith, the yellow suit sounds familiar, did you go to the rock disco’s at the Rio? Me & Allen Evans & a few others from that era did, & did you d.j. For a while?
Dave, yes I did on Sunday night. I never actually did any DJ'ing but quite often made an idiot of myself dancing. I also went to the Sportsman's Arms Coventry when they closed the Rio down and the DJ moved there. He arranged a coach that used to pick us up at the Yew Tree and take us to the Sportsmans and bring us back. I remember one night I believe it could have been New Years' Eve there was a huge fight between the locals and the interlopers from Birmingham. It was like one of those Wild West saloon fights. Started in one corner of the room and worked across the dance floor. Despite trying as hard as possible to keep as far away from the action as possible I still got a headbutt across the nose! Malcolm

Dave, yes I did on Sunday night. I never actually did any DJ'ing but quite often made an idiot of myself dancing. I also went to the Sportsman's Arms Coventry when they closed the Rio down and the DJ moved there. He arranged a coach that used to pick us up at the Yew Tree and take us to the Sportsmans and bring us back. I remember one night I believe it could have been New Years' Eve there was a huge fight between the locals and the interlopers from Birmingham. It was like one of those Wild West saloon fights. Started in one corner of the room and worked across the dance floor. Despite trying as hard as possible to keep as far away from the action as possible I still got a headbutt across the nose! Malcolm
Mal, sorry, I’ve got you now at the time, I Didn’t realise you were Keith’s cousin, we also went to the Sportsman’s on the coach, but I don’t remember being there the night of the fight, but I do know the “covs” hate us Brummies! I’m the one who used to have 6 hamburgers at the Yew tree, come to think of it, didn’t you do a stint on the burgers too? I think we’re talking about 50 or so years ago here, but don’t ask me what I was doing yesterday, I’ll have forgotten!

Mal, sorry, I’ve got you now at the time, I Didn’t realise you were Keith’s cousin, we also went to the Sportsman’s on the coach, but I don’t remember being there the night of the fight, but I do know the “covs” hate us Brummies! I’m the one who used to have 6 hamburgers at the Yew tree, come to think of it, didn’t you do a stint on the burgers too? I think we’re talking about 50 or so years ago here, but don’t ask me what I was doing yesterday, I’ll have forgotten!
Dave, I don't think I ever managed 6 burgers but I did eat my fair share. And yes it was a very long time ago!

L.p.
I THINK, it was a long time ago, that the Farmers lived at 21, Hadland I recall a dad person called Bill and a lunatic spaniel. Staff names at the junior school when I was there that I remember are, Garrison, Rome, Permaine, Shellard. My mom worked in the school kitchen for a while, and my two brothers went to both the infants and the juniors, they were born 1947 & 1949. I posted a Hadland Rd coronation picture on BHF a while ago. See:-
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...day-celebrations-1953.9683/page-6#post-592317
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?attachments/img083-3-jpg.114433/
I THINK, it was a long time ago, that the Farmers lived at 21, Hadland I recall a dad person called Bill and a lunatic spaniel. Staff names at the junior school when I was there that I remember are, Garrison, Rome, Permaine, Shellard. My mom worked in the school kitchen for a while, and my two brothers went to both the infants and the juniors, they were born 1947 & 1949. I posted a Hadland Rd coronation picture on BHF a while ago. See:-
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...day-celebrations-1953.9683/page-6#post-592317
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?attachments/img083-3-jpg.114433/
Hi Jim

Have just seen your Coronation photos and I recognise almost all of the people on it. I am seated next to Malcolm Davis and Raymond Williams. My brother,John, also appears in the picture (in costume), along with Isobel Morrow. I am sti.ll in regular touch with Isobel ( who lives in Western Australia) as well as her younger sister, Margaret. Happy days.

Ray

L.p.

Hi Jim

Have just seen your Coronation photos and I recognise almost all of the people on it. I am seated next to Malcolm Davis and Raymond Williams. My brother,John, also appears in the picture (in costume), along with Isobel Morrow. I am sti.ll in regular touch with Isobel ( who lives in Western Australia) as well as her younger sister, Margaret. Happy days.

Ray
When i was looking through some old photos I found a couple of the Coronation Celebrations held at Blakenhale School. I will try and dig them out and post them. One with a group of gentlemen dressed as women and comical characters has already been posted on here somewhere. I don't know why we had a copy as I don't recognise any of the people! Malcolm

Can anyone remember Blakenhale Junior School. I went there in the mid 50s, I lived in Outmore Road, at the Technical College End. My teachers were Mrs Chant, Miss Johns, Mr Hawker and Mr Owen. The names I can remember from my year group were Robert Cooper, Robert Wilcox, Gary Hatter, Peter McMahon, Kenneth Salisbury, Stephen Goodfellow, Barry Cross, Melvin Mitchinson, Marilyn Mitchinson, David Palfrey, Roger Turner, John Goodby, David Evans, Ian Elton, Shelia Dallas, Christine Ireland, Warren Simmons, Bryan Beroll, Alan Law, Michael Gardner, Paul Baverstock, Margaret Ravenhill, Karen Leatherbarrow, Margaret Neate, Estelle Danks, Linda Burns, Ronald Tanser, Tony Peverall, Terry Shepperd, David Cashmore, Susan Chawner, Susan Taylor, Robert Murrow, Alan Greensall, Peter Franklin, Sally Knight, Roger Murray, Alan Pattisson, Stephen Ingram, Tony Harrell, Ian Spencer. There must be at least double that I can't remember as there were probably about 35/40 in each class in those days. I remember wagon wheels and other goodies being sold in the three doorways at the top of the playground, the headmaster playing us classical music in assembly every morning and having to wave snotty hankies in the air to prove you had brought one to school.
Malcolm Robinson
Hi everyone, me and my brother went to the infants and then junior school. I was born in 1955 and my brother in 1954. So we would have been there just after some of you guys. I do remember some of the names mentioned here. We were living in chestnuts avenue. I do remember being run over by a milk float as I crossed the driveway at garrets green college. Woke up sitting in the front office of the police station. Happy days!!

Hi Malcom: I was born in Sheldon Heath in 1951, but emigrated to Canada in 1957. I returned to live with my grandparents on Blakenhale Road in 1961 and partway through the year attended Blakenhale Road Junior School. I found the schoolwork very different and quite difficult compared to what I was learning back in Toronto. My mum, sister and I stayed in England until the summer break and returned to Canada in 1962,

I remember us kids being picked up at school by a green double-decker bus and taken to a soccer pitch for physical education class that consisted of a game of soccer, as you might say -football. I also remember being fed over the lunch hour at the school. Far in the recesses of my brain, I can still taste what I suspect might be the pudding. I never encountered that delightful taste in my life since. And yes, like someone else here mentioned, I remember wagon wheels.

I wonder whether anyone might be able to tell me what the menu was at the school cafeteria. Also, where did we likely go for phys ed on the double-decker? I am writing my memoir, and I'd like to get the details correct.

Also, I went to the pub with my granddad in the direction of Garrett's Green (reference: Google maps). Does anyone remember what a pub there might have been named?

Thanks
Barry Cull

Hi Malcom: I was born in Sheldon Heath in 1951, but emigrated to Canada in 1957. I returned to live with my grandparents on Blakenhale Road in 1961 and partway through the year attended Blakenhale Road Junior School. I found the schoolwork very different and quite difficult compared to what I was learning back in Toronto. My mum, sister and I stayed in England until the summer break and returned to Canada in 1962,

I remember us kids being picked up at school by a green double-decker bus and taken to a soccer pitch for physical education class that consisted of a game of soccer, as you might say -football. I also remember being fed over the lunch hour at the school. Far in the recesses of my brain, I can still taste what I suspect might be the pudding. I never encountered that delightful taste in my life since. And yes, like someone else here mentioned, I remember wagon wheels.

I wonder whether anyone might be able to tell me what the menu was at the school cafeteria. Also, where did we likely go for phys ed on the double-decker? I am writing my memoir, and I'd like to get the details correct.

Also, I went to the pub with my granddad in the direction of Garrett's Green (reference: Google maps). Does anyone remember what a pub there might have been named?

Thanks
Barry Cull
Hi Barry, welcome to BHF. I attended Blakenhale Junior school way before you,1948-51. I never attended the infant school as I lived elsewhere in the city.
In my time we played sports at Henry Rd playing fields which were in South Yardley, by the Swan pub, on land towards the city behind Church Rd and Coventry Rd.
My mom was a member of the catering staff at Blakenhale for a while but subsequently moved to Central Grammar and then Oldknow Rd schools. At Oldknow she was responsible for the menus which were designed to produce a balanced diet, carbs etc. Certainly no chips with everything in those days. The only deserts that I recall are the sago pudding, and a chocolate crunch that was shall we say rather firm!
I would suggest that the pub you recall was the Chestnuts, which was across the road from the Garretts Green Technical College.

Last edited:
Hi Barry, welcome to BHF. I attended Blakenhale Junior school way before you,1948-51. I never attended the infant school as I lived elsewhere in the city.
In my time we played sports at Henry Rd playing fields which were in South Yardley, by the Swan pub, on land towards the city behind Church Rd and Coventry Rd.
My mom was a member of the catering staff at Blakenhale for a while but subsequently moved to Central Grammar and then Oldknow Rd schools. At Oldknow she was responsible for the menus which were designed to produce a balanced diet, carbs etc. Certainly no chips with everything in those days. The only deserts that I recall are the sago pudding, and a chocolate crunch that was shall we say rather firm!
I would suggest that the pub you recall was the Chestnuts, which was across the road from the Garretts Green Technical College.
Thanks for your prompt reply Malcolm and the kind welcome. I don't know what sago pudding is, but I will look for it on this side of the pond, someday soon.

I am about to finish with the part of my memoir that covers my brief return to England, a chapter with the working title, "The Four-hundred Dollar Cure", a reference about what it took to get rid of the nostalgia new immigrants feel about the old country. I wonder if I might email it to you, and perhaps the folks BHF, to get your feedback on the accuracy of some of the details. I have memory for some things, but I have had to do a lot of research on my own life to get the facts as correct as possible.

Again,
Thanks for you kind reply and I hope you are able to stay well.
PS. Does BHF have a Facebook group?

Hi Guys, I attended Blakenhale Infants and Juniors from around 56-61then attended the Comp. I remember the glutinous frog spawn tapioca pudding sometimes with a colour like violet and baked trays of crusty pastry topped dishes served in rectangular trays, all served in the canteen which I think was attached to the infants school. The play ground seemed huge to me, cricket and football and also marbles games, which some enterprising guys would set up and if you rolled your marleys through the cut outs in the cardboard you would win a marble but if you missed they kept your marley.
Mostly remember Mr Owen, Welsh he was and a brilliant teacher. He used to take us for football in the hall which then seemed big. He put himself to the task of making some five a side goals out of timber and formed netting with some thick string. He was the first to ever mention and show us how to bend a shot at goal by using either the inside or outside of your foot- he called it a banana shot for obvious reasons.
Maypole dancing with the girls or was it called something rural, cant remember.
Bit of a walk from home in Frodesley Road, past the Chestnuts, halfway down Garretts Green road and then left through an alley.
Happy days

Can anyone remember Blakenhale Junior School. I went there in the mid 50s, I lived in Outmore Road, at the Technical College End. My teachers were Mrs Chant, Miss Johns, Mr Hawker and Mr Owen. The names I can remember from my year group were Robert Cooper, Robert Wilcox, Gary Hatter, Peter McMahon, Kenneth Salisbury, Stephen Goodfellow, Barry Cross, Melvin Mitchinson, Marilyn Mitchinson, David Palfrey, Roger Turner, John Goodby, David Evans, Ian Elton, Shelia Dallas, Christine Ireland, Warren Simmons, Bryan Beroll, Alan Law, Michael Gardner, Paul Baverstock, Margaret Ravenhill, Karen Leatherbarrow, Margaret Neate, Estelle Danks, Linda Burns, Ronald Tanser, Tony Peverall, Terry Shepperd, David Cashmore, Susan Chawner, Susan Taylor, Robert Murrow, Alan Greensall, Peter Franklin, Sally Knight, Roger Murray, Alan Pattisson, Stephen Ingram, Tony Harrell, Ian Spencer. There must be at least double that I can't remember as there were probably about 35/40 in each class in those days. I remember wagon wheels and other goodies being sold in the three doorways at the top of the playground, the headmaster playing us classical music in assembly every morning and having to wave snotty hankies in the air to prove you had brought one to school.
Malcolm Robinson
Hi I have just joined the forum a d reading your post bought back a lot of memories our back garden in hengham Road touched the mcmahons I was friends with Patricia and remember Peter the youngest there was one other brother also.my mom was friends with Mrs hatter so I remember that family their youngest son Robin used to serenade my young sister ruth outside the front window. Mr Owen was lovely iwas sent to him one day for a pump to be punished with and because it was for me he gave me a baby one.my brothers were both at the school later Brian and Ian keeling. I remember the steps with the tuck food on my love of wagon wheels started there and has never stopped. Was Tony Peverell Jennifer's brother I was friends with her at cockhsut Hill meeting up with her many years later working in a bank in Daventry Northants where we moved to on the overspill. Many regards mary 117

Thanks
Barry Cull
Barry,

Sorry I took so long to reply! I can remember going to play at football (in the 4th Year) at King George V Playing fields just past the Radleys along Church Road. We used to have the annual Sportsday there with Mapledean, Elms Farm, Stanville and another school I can't remember. I agree with DevonJim it would almost be certain that the pub you went to was the Chestnuts. For a while it was a wooden cabin like structure but eventually got developed into a proper brick built building.

We lived in the end house in Outmore Road, opposite the College, so I always went home for dinner so I can't help you on the dinner menu front. I know they used to sell wagon Wheels and crisps in the three doorways at the top of the playground breaktime. Goodluck with the memoires and if I can help with anything else let me know.

Malcolm

Hi I have just joined the forum a d reading your post bought back a lot of memories our back garden in hengham Road touched the mcmahons I was friends with Patricia and remember Peter the youngest there was one other brother also.my mom was friends with Mrs hatter so I remember that family their youngest son Robin used to serenade my young sister ruth outside the front window. Mr Owen was lovely iwas sent to him one day for a pump to be punished with and because it was for me he gave me a baby one.my brothers were both at the school later Brian and Ian keeling. I remember the steps with the tuck food on my love of wagon wheels started there and has never stopped. Was Tony Peverell Jennifer's brother I was friends with her at cockhsut Hill meeting up with her many years later working in a bank in Daventry Northants where we moved to on the overspill. Many regards mary 117
Mary,

How strange that you knew the Hatters and the McMahons, I was good friends with both Peter McMahon and Gary Hatter. We used to live in the end house at the College end of Outmore Road. My dad was still there until 2020 when he caught Covid and passed away. Tony Peverell could very well have been Jennifer's brother, I didn't really know the family that well so I can't be sure. I certainly remember Mr Owen as being a fabulous teacher. He really encouraged me to get on. In the final year at Blakenhale I missed a lot of school because I had to have an operation at the Children's Hospital and then had Whooping Cough. He really helped me catch up when I eventually went back to school.

Malcolm

Back