• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Steam Buses 1824-1910.

... I don’t think it has previouly been mentioned, but apparently there was a steam coach Tavern in Newton St from 1833, named after Heaton’s steam carriage. I can find no mention of it by name in directories , and it is stated to be long gone, but by a process of elimination, if it lasted till 1841 , then it must have been no 34 Newton St, which ceased being a pub in the 1860s. the censuses merely list the occupant as a retail brewer. ...

That's a very interesting "snippet", Mike! The "Steam Coach" (34 Newton Street) sounds like our kind of pub. Can we discover any more about it?

[A contemporary painting of the "Heaton" parked out front would be good! ;)]

Possibly another interesting snippet, which i don't think has been covered previously is concerning Blakemore. From birmingham Daily Post 26.6.1869 a correspondent reminisces about things he remembers (that sounds familiar !) , in this case steam coaches. He remembered seeing church’s in Dean St, moseley St & Pershore Road. More importantly he states that a manufactory to produce them was built in Bellbarn road by two blakemore brothers , but he thinks the building was never finished , but converted into a weslyan Chapel and then a brassfoundery. The terrace nearby was and is (as of then) called Blakemore’s terrace. The terrace is marked in red on the c 1914 map below. Looking at earlier directories, I feel that the chapel was immediately before chapel terrace, which makes it the blue building. In 1867 it is listed as manufac turers of plumbers brass work
On the map, the road on the extreme right is the bristol road
Mike

bellbarn_rd_site_of_blakemores_steam_carraige_factory.jpg

Stea2Cm_carriage_factory_in_bellbarn_rd_birm_post_26_6_1869.jpg

There are several views of Bell Barn Rd during its 'reconstruction' time here on the Digital Ladywood site, and I have taken the aerial view and coded the positions of Bristol Rd blue, Bell Barn Rd orange, Blakemore Terrace red, and the manufactory/chapel/brassfoundry green.

Have just realised i didn't include the cutting, which has a few more details , below

chuirch_steam_coach_B_D_P_72C82C1869.JPG

just a couple of other cuttings concerning memories of church, which i don't think have previously been listed

first_ride_in_church_coach_B_D_P_24_7_1869.JPG

steam_coach_remin__birm_post_26_6_1869.JPG

Mike - these are great (I trust the library membership is working out then?). Some extra names of staff that may help. I think we have looked without success for Heywood House before but at least we know it was somewhere near Garrison Lane. I wonder if it is now under the Blues ground?

just a couple of other cuttings concerning memories of church, which i don't think have previously been listed

I wonder if Samuel Evers also used the engine in his manufactury as well as the gothic Curch structure for his summer house (Sacrebleu, what sacrilege)? There is a Samuel Henry Evers born c1852 in Cradley Heath that owned Wire Manufacturers Samuel Evers and Son in Cradley Forge, Cradley, Brierley Hill but I cannot pin down the 1881C for him and his wife Ellen Sophia which might tell us where he lived around the time of acquisition - can anyone help please?

How he acquired it maybe 40 years later is another question...

I seem to remember that we have come across Dr Church's assistant/test driver Benjemin Wakefied (b 1800 at Brieryhurst Farm, Mow Cop, N Staffs -d1888 Aston) earlier on.

The following is attached to his tree:
"Benjamin was an Engineer - never made the big time ...[Dr Church bit] - I have copies of patents for Button Machine and a Bolt used in building. He also invented a railway coupling but sadly never patented this., It was advertised in the the Birmingham Herald in Nov 1838.

He travelled quite often to Australia and was there with his business partner in 1854. His great grandson noted that Benjamin was rather naive and not a very good businessman!

Benjamin's son John began a Lamp Manufacturing business in Birmingham in 1880 and this continued into the 1960s."

White's 1850 Directory shows him in Livery St, 1851C has him living at Warstone Lane, Slater's 1852 shows him (back?) at 35 Harford Street

I can't see he left a Will....

The London Gazette has a number of entries on John Inshaw (mostly patents), which I'll post tomorrow.

Renowned steam locomotive engineer William Stroudley (1833-1889) served his apprenticeship under John Inshaw from 1847.

Lowe lists Dr Church as a locomotive builder, but he appeared to be a designer of a locomotive for Samuel Aspinall Goddard which was built by Horton of Brierly Hill, or according to Harry Jack Locomotives of the LNWR Southern Division by John Inshaw of Birmingham (not in Lowe). Dickinson A short history of the steam engine (1938) p. 131 considered that Church's efforts had been directed towards steam carriages. Furthermore, according to Jack it was a "quaint" 2-2-0WT with a patent boiler. Jack's Figure 10 is unlike the 0-2-2WT of Fig 83 in Lowe. It ran trials on the London & Birmingham Railway in January 1838, but these were unsuccessful, although according to Jack it reached 60 mile/h! It was then tried on the Grand Junction Railway whilst named Victoria. It was fitted with piston valves. Subsequently the locomotive now known as Surprise (boy was it) was tried on the Birmingham & Gloucester Railway. It exploded at Bromsgrove on 10 November 1840 where Hewison, noting the Official Report, records that Goddard was hoping to sell the locomotive to the BGR. It appeared on the Swansea Vale Railway in the late 1850s by which it had become some form of 0-6-0T. https://www.steamindex.com/people/engrs.htm#church

Have just realised i didn't include the cutting, which has a few more details , below

The Muntz family originated in modern Lithuania. Philip Frederick Muntz, who had moved from France to Birmingham in the late eighteenth century, established the metal working business of Muntz & Purden He married his business partner's daughter Catherine and made his residence at Selly Hall, Selly Park (now St Paul's Convent - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&...oid=tjOBL4JEVtuqMUrRZLQy5Q&cbp=12,152.19,,0,5 )

George Frederick Muntz (Baptised St Philips 17 Jun 1795 -Sep 1857 Solihull), Metal Roller at rolling mill (pictured) and wire-drawing plant at 65 Water Street (previously Twigg & Co, near Livery Street), political reformer who was founding member of the Birmingham Political Union also made him an ideal successor to Thomas Attwood who resigned in 1839, was M.P. for Birmingham from 1840 https://infomotions.com/etexts/gutenberg/dirs/1/8/8/2/18821/18821.htm until his death, staunch Baptist (see UMBERSLADE Baptist Church founding), radical Beard wearer https://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/3292086?searchTerm=george frederick muntz produced Muntz metal at Great Bridge and French Walls from 1842.

Muntz commercialized the alloy following his patent in 1832. A notable use of Muntz Metal was in the hull of the Cutty Sark. Muntz metal came to be known as "Yellow Metal" and he made a fortune but doesn't appear to have left a will.

He was indicted for sedition as he tried to undermine the Duke of Wellington with a run on gold. He also was involved in a riot at Saint Martins in Birmingham in protest against the Church Rates which were levied at around 6d to 9d in the pound. He was sent to trial in 1838, but was acquitted on all but one of 13 charges.

His home was at Umberslade Hall, in Tanworth in Arden. He had seven sons and two daughters. The family business was continued by the eldest son, George Frederick junior together with Philip Albert Muntz, also a Member of Parliament who was created a Baronet in 1902 . George's brother, Philip Henry Muntz, [pictured with outrageous beard] was also an MP.

The Muntz family are remembered by Muntz Street (Small Heath), a tower block called Muntz House and Muntz Park (near Selly Hall on Umberslade Rd), all in Birmingham.

7th November 1889 - Muntz Trust founded by the executors of the deed of George Frederick Muntz of Umberslade - intended for medical and surgical Charities. https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Sa...092760254&pagename=BCC/Common/Wrapper/Wrapper

Showell's https://www.gutenberg.org/files/14472/14472-h/14472-h.htm has many refs to him - but no mention of any steam carriages but he could certainly afford to experiment.

Here's another of the sketches by Molesworth in 1836 with backdrop of Town Hall and St Philips showing beardie bear George Muntz being taught to dance by Attwood (he lived first at The Crescent and latterly retired to The Grove Harborne you know) to the diabolical tune of Dissenters cannon. Twas in the wake of the Reform meeting in the Town Hall "which would overawe the House of Lords and perhaps the Throne itself" - demanding disenfranchisement of rotten boroughs, representation for the large towns, suffrage for all tax-payers and secret ballots, all before the Chartists. I can find no other image of Muntz.

See also https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32293&p=331772#post331772

A brief note re Muntz's Metal (aka Muntz Metal and Yellow Metal). R B Prosser's Birmingham Inventors and Inventions (1881) points out that there were two anticipations of Muntz's invention:
[1] In 1779 James Keir (1735-1820) patented an alloy of 54% copper, 40.5% zinc and 5.5% iron. It was actually trialled by the Admiralty for sheathing the frigate "Juno". Keir, born in Edinburgh but for long a resident of the Midlands, was a friend (and fellow "Lunatick") of Boulton, Watt, Priestley and Withering.

[2] In 1800 William Collins (dates?) patented an alloy of 56% copper and 44% zinc. Collins was apparently once a button maker in Birmingham, but was later London-based.​
Muntz's 1832 patent was more general (50-63% copper and 50-37% zinc), but he developed and promoted it more successfully. He also vigorously prosecuted patent infringements.

[It would be wonderful to credit the remarkable G F Muntz with a steam carriage, but so far the evidence isn't exactly stacking up in his favour, is it? :rolleyes:]

Every family has its "black sheep". In the Muntz case it was Charles Adolphus Muntz (1834-1908), son of the elder G F Muntz. Against his family's wishes, in 1857 he married Sarah Louisa Simons (who had been a cook at the family home Arthingworth Grange). The couple emigrated to the south island of New Zealand, where Charles became an iron merchant, farmer and artist. Mount Muntz (to the south-west of Molesworth! ;)) is named after him. Pictured below: [1] C A Muntz; [2] his painting "Playing With Dad"; [3] his watercolour of circa 1870 [Cattle grazing on a river plain, mountains beyond, Nelson Region].

[Picture [3] appears to be more typical of C A Muntz's work (and is more safely attributed to him). It shows the magnificent region in which he farmed, with perhaps Mount Muntz in the background.]

Last edited:
... He [Benjamin Wakefield] travelled quite often to Australia and was there with his business partner in 1854. His great grandson noted that Benjamin was rather naive and not a very good businessman! ...

A quick scan of Australian newspapers yields two snippets (both from the Melbourne Argus), one intriguing, the other fairly pedestrian:
5 July 1854: Disorderly Characters. ... Benjamin Wakefield and William Mason were brought up for assaulting a mounted trooper; but, the evidence being conflicting, they were discharged. [Maybe not our BW, but the date fits! William Mason was perhaps his "business partner".]

1 June 1955: Missing Friends, Messages &c. ... SOUTH SEA. - Messrs Faithfull and Cotterill, please write directly to Benjamin Wakefield, engineer, Melbourne Post Office.​

[I recently received my National Library of Australia reader's card, which provides access to a huge range of e-resources, of which I have so far only scratched the surface. One such resource is the "Illustrated London News" archive, from which the following article was transcribed. See also notes following.]

Illustrated London News (11 February 1860).

STEAM-CARRIAGE FOR COMMON ROADS.

A steam-carriage, designed by Mr Rickett, of the Castle Foundry, Buckingham, to run upon common roads, was submitted to the Queen, Prince Albert, and the Royal family a short time since. It is built for a private carriage, having ample room for three persons in front and for a stoker behind, and is arranged to run at an average speed of ten miles per hour — indeed, on good roads sixteen miles per hour has been easily maintained. In ascending steep hills, by moving a handle, without stopping, the power is multiplied two and a half times, and the speed consequently reduced to four miles per hour on hills with inclination of 1 in 10. The carriage is mounted on three wheels, each having independent springs — one small wheel in front, which is used for steering, and two behind, one or both of which are employed in propelling, one of them being fixed on the shaft, and the other engaged by a clutch; so that when disengaged the carriage may be turned round in its own length without stopping. It is easily guided, by a handle from the fork of the front wheel, which is central with the outside seat; a break [sic] is applied to each driving-wheel, worked by a lever from the seat, so that the engine is entirely under the control of the driver.

The engine is built upon a tank, which forms a strong tubular framework; the boiler being placed above; and the whole of the machinery is contained in the space between the boiler and tank, entirely protected from dust and dirt, and within reach of the stoker for oiling, etc. The tank contains ninety gallons of water, sufficient for ten miles' run. The boiler is made of steel, and constructed so that it is not injuriously affected by variations of level, as it is worked at a pressure of 150 lb to the square inch, and supplies steam to a pair of 3½ [inch] cylinders with 7 inch stroke; it evaporates about a gallon and a half of water per minute, and consumes 8 to 10 lb of coal per mile. The weight of the engine and carriage is 30 cwt, and, with full load of water 12 cwt, coal 3 cwt, passengers 5 cwt, equals 2½ tons.

Some idea may be formed of the functional resistance on common roads when it is mentioned that as much power is required to draw one ton on a common road as fifteen to twenty tons on a railroad; and in this engine, to convey its full load at fifteen miles per hour on a level, requires an actual development of ten horse power, so that great power and little weight are essentials in these engines. No real difficulty has been experienced in working them: occasionally a young horse shies, when the engine is instantly stopped, and all noise and appearance of steam suppressed till it has passed.

It is stated that this engine will shortly be taken to Belgium, but others are in course of manufacture at Buckingham.

[The McConnell-Rickett steam carriage was first brought to our attention by Molesworth as long ago as post #231. It was designed by railway engineer James Edward McConnell and built by Thomas Rickett. The first was built in 1858 for the Marquess of Stafford. An improved model was built in 1860 for the Earl of Caithness, and Thomas Rickett drove him and his good lady from Inverness to their seat at Barrogill Castle (now known as the Castle of Mey), a remarkable 125 mile journey. Rickett later built a carriage which was exported to Spain and used for goods and public transport. William Fletcher's History and Development of Steam Locomotion on Common Roads has a long article on Rickett's carriages. Thomas Rickett remains something of a "mystery man" (HELP PLEASE! :))]

[Pictures: [1] 1858 model (Fletcher); [2] 1860 model (Illustrated London News); [3] 1860 model (with Rickett driving and the Earl and Countess of Caithness as passengers); [4] 1865 combination as exported to Spain (Fletcher).]

Thomas Rickett remains something of a "mystery man" (HELP PLEASE!)
Census of April 7th 1861 has Thomas Rickett, 35, Manufacturing Engineer (employing 10 men & 1 boy), born Kidderminster, Worcs;
and Ellen Rickett, 20, Governess [his sister] also born Kidderminster; lodging with Joseph Kirby (general draper employing 4 men) and his family at an address in the Market Place, Buckingham.

Ellen's birth is registered 1st quarter 1841 at Kidderminster and the 1841 census has Thomas (15) and Ellenor (3mths) living in the family home in the fairly short High St, Kidderminster where father John Rickett is a grocer. The present day road shows little of its history.

It gets better!

By 1871 Thomas Rickett (45) is at Devonshire Place, Pershore Rd (somewhere between the Selly Park Tavern [called 'Pershore Rd Inn' in the census] and Upland Road) with wife Isabelle (24, nee Isabella Hepburn Hart - they married 2nd quarter 1865 in Buckingham) and sons Charles (2) and William (1). Thomas is manager of a tube works.
Charles Ernest Rickett was born 2nd quarter 1868 Islington, London; William Thomas Rickett was born 4th quarter 1869 Kings Norton district,which pretty well dates the family's move to Birmingham.

1881 sees the family at the same address, 3 Devonshire Place, Pershore Rd, Thomas, now 55 is still manager of a works, Isabella, Charles and William are of course 10 years older, and the family has been increased by: Alice Mary Rickett, b. 3rd q. 1871; George, b. 2nd q. 1875: and Emily Estill, b. 3rd q. 1877.

Thomas dies in Croydon in 1900, Isabella has preceded him in 1887 in Wortley, Yorkshire (West Riding).
A William Thomas Rickett dies in nearby Tadcasteraged 72 in 1941, but I can't see any of the sons in the 1911 census.
Alice Mary Rickett may have married a David Brown in 1904, but I can't see anything else for the two daughters.

Thomas is listed under the same Devonshire Place address in the 1872 directory, though, because it is outside the then borders of Birmingham, a street directory is not available. However the four houses of Devonshire Place later became 679-685 Pershore Road. This is shown in blue on map c1910 attached , where road going to left is Selly wick Road.. I suspect the tube manufacturers were: Clifford Charles & Son, tube manufacturers,Dog pool, Pershore road., which were only just over half a mile away.
Thomas is not listed in the directory for 1868 (though he could have been in Brum). He appears at the Devonshire place address 1872-80 but seems to have disappeared by 1882.
Thomas is mentioned in a number of paper reports of trials of one of his inventions , which seems to be a sort of steam cultivator using a paddle wheeel to break up the soil . It was described as imperfect, but problems were thought capable of being worked out . Three of the five reports seem to be written by the same person. One of the reports is attached. In addition there are several almost identical reports of a steam carraige of his being inspected by Prince Albert.(one attached)

Cheshire_Observer_and_General_Advertiser_Saturday2C_July_242C_1858_pg__4__Issue_229_.jpg

Hampsh_Telegr_and_Sx_Chron2C_January_212C_1860.JPG

map_c_1908_devonshire_place2C_pershore_rd.jpg

Good work, gentlemen! :thumbsup:

Thomas Rickett appears to have developed another interest in his later years. The Science Museum Archive lists:
RICK Rickett: Papers re the work on road steam engines, 1860s, of Thomas Rickett (and additional material on phrenology 1890s).​

Another Scottish IGSB.

In 1872 Charles Randolph (1809-1878), retired partner in the Glasgow engineering firm Randolph Elder and Company, built a road steam carriage. It comprised three compartments: [1] an enclosed steersman's cab, with two passenger seats; [2] a six-seat passenger compartment; [3] an engine and boiler compartment, with stoker accommodation.

There are accounts of the "Randolph" in A J Wallis-Tayler's Motor Cars or Power-Carriages for Common Roads (London: Crosby Lockwood and Son, 1897) and Rhys Jenkins's Motor Cars and the Application of Mechanical Power to Road Vehicles (London: T Fisher Unwin, 1902). Wallis-Tayler imparts this important fact (my emphasis): "The central compartment is sufficiently high to admit of an average man standing therein with his hat on".

The "Randolph" was exhibited at the Crystal Palace (London) in 1896. According to Jenkins, it was donated to the South Kensington museum, but I can't establish whether or not it has survived.

The Glasgow Herald (13 November 1872) published an account of the "Randolph". Can anyone access the article?

Below are pictured: [1] Charles Randolph; [2] The "Randolph"; [3] The "Randolph" engine compartment.

Pictures [2] and [3] are from Jenkins (Google Books version). They were published in The Engineer (6 May 1896). If someone can find an e-text of that journal, we might be able to improve the quality.

Last edited:
Rickett's Castle foundry, Buckingham - now rebuilt and part of the University of Buckingham - was where Chandos Road met the Bletchley - Banbury Railway, at the town's station
The line was open fron 1850 to 1966, the meagre passenger traffic subsequently being catered for by a Midland Red replacement bus service.

A thrilling overnight spurt! it must be a gravel-free patch.

<Frail Grayson voice> You've all done very well

I awoke with a bit of a pain that I am not sure is entirely amativeness (especially after seeing some "posh Totty" on another thread) or alimentiveness from the surfeit of boeuf and & vin last night.

Back