• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham on Sea

As originally built, here is the Grand Pier pavillion that burnt down to be replaced by the one we have just lost. There was an extended deck behind this pavillion to a steamer jetty but because of the difficulty coming alongside only two steamers actually managed to use the jetty before service to the pier was considered too dangerous. This ensured the Old Pier would prosper until the White Funnel steamers eventually stopped calling there as well. The Grand Pier extension was later removed. It's interesting that when the Grand Pier first opened the management wanted the WSM trams to run out along the pier but the local council wouldn't hear of the trams being able to cross over their pavement on to the pier so it never happened.

On the local news tonight it said that most of the pier will reopen tomorrow morning at 9am, its the constuction at the end that burned down but it will be rebuilt.

As originally built, here is the Grand Pier pavillion that burnt down to be replaced by the one we have just lost. There was an extended deck behind this pavillion to a steamer jetty but because of the difficulty coming alongside only two steamers actually managed to use the jetty before service to the pier was considered too dangerous. This ensured the Old Pier would prosper until the White Funnel steamers eventually stopped calling there as well. The Grand Pier extension was later removed. It's interesting that when the Grand Pier first opened the management wanted the WSM trams to run out along the pier but the local council wouldn't hear of the trams being able to cross over their pavement on to the pier so it never happened.

Nice posting Mike here's that show which is advertised at the front of the Pier, it was also made into a Film and also Stanley Holloways Film debut:)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318637/

Have been on the pier today, you can walk up 80% of it as normal, to within 10 yards of the old pavillion which is just a twisted mess now of course.was very busy today there,

Good on 'em for opening up the 80% of the pier thats still available John. Daresay many folks will want a walk out alng it to see for themselves the damaged remains. Did you get any photos?

To take our minds off the Grand Pier disaster for a few moments here is a pic with a difference. On a chilly Autumn day in 1969 an exhibition bus trys to entice customers to forsake WSM and other popular Brummie holiday spots to visit "Sunny Sussex". Parked outside the Bull Ring entrance to the indoor markets I hope you weren't among those enticed away by it. Pity this isn't in colour as the bus was in the bright green and cream colours of the Southdown bus company.

Sorry Mike, no photo,s, but it was very busy with people as you say looking at the mess left, the owner seems determined to rebuild it as soon as poss. just hope the council pull thier finger out and help him, from what I have heard they have been the trouble behind the Tropicana, and the old pier being sorted.

Delving deep into the archives now - here is "yours truly" on the beach at WSM in 1949 complete with tie and trusty snake clasp belt.That belt even held up the handknitted swim trunks (when wet, under the armpits!) if the tide came in.

Do I remember those Handknitted Swim Trunks:redface: Sent most of my time finding them under water:)

Here is the Old Pier in happier times with a single funnel padddle steamer at the jetty. A late 1940's view. Larger paddle steamers also called at the Old Pier of the type shown in the second view.

Interesting stuff there Alf. Here by way of a change is one of the Birnbeck Island stamps from the 1960's when the Pier had it's own banknotes for use on the "Victorian" pier. Haven't managed to get one of the banknotes but keep a lookout on the ebay in hopes.
For a change from the piers did anyone ever visit the Model Railway by the Marine Lake in the 1970's as shown here.

I'm sure I must have just to see I would have to visit. that was my area when I worked for Vernons Pools as Area Manager 1969/70.:)

Had to buy a box of clotted cream fudge to get this card off the box for my collection - the fudge was sickly to get through but sometimes we just have to suffer don't we. (I did share it with me wife).

Interesting stuff there Alf. Here by way of a change is one of the Birnbeck Island stamps from the 1960's when the Pier had it's own banknotes for use on the "Victorian" pier. Haven't managed to get one of the banknotes but keep a lookout on the ebay in hopes.
For a change from the piers did anyone ever visit the Model Railway by the Marine Lake in the 1970's as shown here.

Yes i recall the model Railway next to the Rozel Bandstand there. Llandudno was my family's holiday venue 1955-65, and then Weston 1965-75. Then i learned to drive HGV's and all my innocence was lost then:biggrin:

Each year a ILLUMINATED Carnival is held in the area,
this year, in Weston it is on 17th November

this photo from last year a show not to be missed :)

Does Burnham on Sea still have a pier. Not long ago I read on the internet that the pier was designed by the same man who upgraded the Birminghanm Canal through Smethwick before Thomas Telford took over in the very early 19th century. Forgotten his name for the moment.
Peter

Thanks, Alf. I still can't remember the name of the chap who was in charge of Brum the canal improvements before Telford, but I'll find it soon. So far as the pier is concerned, Thanks for the link to the national Piers Society. It's got me started again in that direction.
Peter

John,
Glad you made it over to Brislington last Sunday. Being amongst all those original Bristol buses took me back a year or two.
Over in WSM my latest is as I like to remember the old Beach Bus Station. Bet many have forgotten they used to sell Regent Petrol as well as advertise it on the buses.
Mike

It was a good day at Brislington Mike, good to see you again, sorry it was brief, I went on a few of the Bristols, enjoyed that, I have had that ticket I gave you for 58 years, every time I go to Weston and walk past the old bus station I notice the curb stones, you can still see where the the entrance and exit were. good pic.

The dreaded Post Card artist strikes again! but back in the 1930's this time, when the WSM buses were dark blue and white.

It's after the Second World War and the dreaded Post Card artist is back again to update this card from red buses to green and cream. He or she must have actually been to WSM because that would be the right colours for the time but still the buses were blue and white when the photo was taken. Suppose new cards were in short supply after the war.

Over the years Brum visitors to WSM have had to share it with a great many Welsh folks. They would arrive on White Funnel Steamers or by train through the Severn Tunnel. After the opening of the Severn Bridge more came by coach. Here we have a toastrack tram waiting for passengers from the steamer at the Old Pier in 1917 and then 60 years later a coach from Tredegar is seen on the seafront.

Need some help off Mossy on this one. Was in WSM last Saturday to catch a look at the less than Grand Pier and noticed the seafront pavement marked out for a Landtrain although didn't see one running at all. Does one run Mossy and since when?
My pic this time shows another such venture which the card describes as a Trolley Bus! I saw this one - in fact nearly got run over by it, but can't remember when that was, so how long for and when did this one run? Answers on a Post Card please, no, only joking. Info would be welcome though.

Mike

Another lovely picture Mike,i always go to the front on Saturdays,and yes the land train still operates,i did not notice if it was running last Saturday:)Mossy

Here is the last Post Card I found showing the now demolished Beach Bus Station. Seen in the 1970's, note the coach out front carrying on the 50 odd year old tradition of advertising excursions on a blackboard leaning up the front.

Hi. Mike. & Mossy. The land train was running on Sunday. I allmost got run over by it, the missus had to shout to me. John70

Last edited:
I Remember going to Weston when I was quite young,possibly early fifties,we went on a school trip,it was the first time I had ever been to the sea-side , but never got to see the sea. Another favourite place the school used to take us was Liverpool and New Brighton, first time I ever took the ferry across the Mersey . Here are a few more old views

Back