• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham on Sea

Nothing wrong with it mariew, another good one, some of mine are far worse for wear but still worth keeping. How noticable that people in days gone by went on the beach so dressed up, same in the fine family photo from RobertS taken several years later.

They did wear a lot of clothes on the beach even their coats, I wonder what they would say if they saw what people wear or don't wear today.

Ritchie, The english heritage link you posted dos`nt work for me, any ideas?.

The best way is to go via Google. Type in "English Heritage Viewfinder" in the search box and let it do the work for you.

......and when you get in there,you think you've had problems already!

You might eventually find on there some features on cinemas including Birmingham. i'm hoping some time in the near future to do a special thread on the 'Birmingham Cinemas ' section which i can link in with other websites internationally,to include a wider geographical area(the whole 021 STD code region for example) and to do each cinema individually.

O k Richie i will try that later on to-day,my sister and niece are coming down to Brum On Sea on a day trip,if its raining they will have to spend the day at our place:D

Mike the building almost opposite the pier has some stone work the words say( Grand Central )could you lease tell me what it was:rolleyes:Mossy

Thanks Mike have you a photo when it was a hotel,and as you have said Weston is Weston so i will be looking in the shops now at old post cards:cool:Mossy

Mossy if you go on ebay and type in Grand Central Hotel, Weston Super Mare there is a post card on sale but you can only view the card as it is blocked by Activa. Shows you what it looked like originally.

Mike

Thats interesting Dave M. I've got a card here of the Old Pier posted during the war (1943) but the view is obviously prewar. I've included the back to show it wasn't all Brummies visiting then. I doubt if the bloke who sent it would have ever dreamt it would end up back in England. I hope he survived the war.

Jean, I hadn't noticed it til now but think you could be right - the horizon and around the island look a bit too good to be true. It's nothing new though, an Edwardian artist on this one has had a field day! Just look at the waves going in all directions.

Mike

Mike I was only kidding actually. Winding Mossy up again. But it could be. I have a photo of my aunt Floss with Blackpool Tower in the background. She is even sitting on a deck chair. I said to Lloyd it didn't look authentic and he agreed. By. Jean.

Sorry Mike forgot to say they must have four tides on the other post card. Good for those days though. Jean.

Ahhh my mom and dad used to take my brother and I to weston when we were small. We have some fantastic memories too especially of the paddeling pool on the beach. I now take my boys there and they love it. Many times we've been there and bumped into friends we havent seen in yonks.

Many thanks for up to date photos and whats going on now.

Sad to see a letter in the Mail tonight about a lady having her handbag stolen in Weston and the apathy on the part of the local police over it.

This pic is from safer times around the 1950's, down on the beach.

Another smashing photo Mike,in the centre of the picture is what we call the Victorian cafe,most locals use this place,lovely cup of tea and scone at a reasonable price:)Mossy

DaveM those were posh Donkeys with a Horse box that size:D

Lovely photo Mike:)

Mike, that is a lovely view of a tram in Weston. I was always crazy about trams (born in Villa Road in 1933, perhaps it's understandable) and I have the vaguest recollection of seeing them in Weston on a family trip in about 1937. Next year we were there again, but all that was left, as I remember, was some cars awaiting scrapping, parked up by the pier.
The only compensation was the car ride down there. My dad always used a road that ran next to the Avon in Bristol under the suspension bridge at Clifton. Trams ran to a point short of the bridge called Hotwells, and they lasted until 1940, I believe. To a little brummy, the Bristol trams were something quite foreign, but with a lot of character. (I remember asking my parents why Bristol trams didn't run on the Bristol Road, which seemed sense to me in those days).
Come 1943, and I got to know the cheerful trams of Leicester and, two years later, the Llandudno trams, which were more fascinating than the others really. In the last years they acquired a lot of cast-offs from other tramway undertakings, and not long before they closed down they bought a lot of bits and pieces from Birmingham City Transport.
To me, Birmingham-by-the-Sea was Llandudno, and I also remember the journey past Prestatyn, where there were a lot of old Midland Red SOS buses built for their local subsidiary there, used as holiday caravans, parked next to the railway track.
Peter

Peter, I really enjoyed reading your post, I wish I had seen for myself the trams you mention - to quote a hit song from the 1950's "Why was I born too late". The Weston trams finished on 17/4/1937 and Bristol electric trams ran 1895 to 11/4/1941 and would have seen the war out but a direct hit on their power station brought them to an abrupt end. The cars were unchanged over the life of the tramway so were working museum pieces by the end. Will put a few more WSM tram views on as we go. This card below could be called spot the tram as you get 12 scenic views for the price of one some with trams in. Get the old magnifying glass out!
There is a mystery here too. The card claims to be "The New Postcard Game "TITLES" but I have nothing else but this card that contains no titles. Anybody know about this game please?
Mike

Thanks very much, Mike. Not seen the painting before, but there are still quite a few photos around. Many years ago an old friend of mine moved from Brum, where he was a teacher at St Philip's Boys' Grammar School off the Hagley Road, to Clifton in Bristol - almost directly above where the Hotwells terminus was. I remember telling him that when I went to visit him in the1960s. Ten years before he was secretary of the Birmingham Model Railway Club, but we have been out of touch a long time ago.
Peter

Another good site Lloyd! will study it later, but not surprised to see Peter Davey the Bristol tram expert is involved.
Mike

Alf, get the tram pics on mate, as Peter Walker said, LLandudno was Birmingham on Sea to him and many more. I rode on the Great Orme trams just after they started calling it a tramway again after years as a "Railway" The cars look much brighter now.
Mike

Have just dug out my oldest WSM card posted from there 18/9/1903 by a French person to Lyon, France. The stamps have been stuck on the front of the card as was normal "sur le continont" in France back then. Looks like his/her geography of England was a bit out - "Part of the Lake District" is written on the card, (unless they meant the Marine Lake!).
The trams seen had started running only the previous year.

Back