• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham in 1950s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she must have ment Ton, as in 100 mph, "Ton up boys" were those who did over a hundred
miles an hour on their motor cycles. Bernard.( Anyone with plenty of cash joined the "Mile High Club")

Thank you keegs. yes it was Brian Mathews. I think Saturday Club was in the late 50's, so he would be getting on in age now wouldn't he?
Born in 1928,so 84.He must have met most of the music greats over the years.

Thanks Shortie I will try again I did it right once, we end up arguing at the big round about. Or I end up on the road of the thousand islands which runs through Sutton Coldfield, I ended up in Sutton Coldfield this time, big place and followed the signs for Leamington and found the Stonebridge Island.

I think she must have ment Ton, as in 100 mph, "Ton up boys" were those who did over a hundred
miles an hour on their motor cycles. Bernard.( Anyone with plenty of cash joined the "Mile High Club")
I see. Nan used to say, for I see, I see it all now, you love another. Must have been from a play.

Does anybody remember the chewing gum machines where there was a mark on the knob and one on the caseing, when these marks lined up you would get two pakets of gum for your penny.

Can't eat it now it pulls my denture out! Remember KP was it? I think it was yellow.
I remember bubble gum type machines that gave out plastic 'eggs' with gifts inside, they took a sixpence, I remember getting a gold coloured plastic snake ring with green glass eyes, gave it to Nan and she put her scarf through it, and a metal sea horse brooch, mum wore if for years, her prized possession and a plastic heart with her name on that dad gave her in Blackpool, still have them.

This might even be the 40s but even so.
When I was a kid, if one our gang got measels, mumps, whatever, all the moms would take their kid around to play with the hapless infant so that he could catch it too. One way of acquiring an immunity I suppose !

Don,t know how i remember this little verse but seeing chewing gum reminded me.

PK penny a packet
First you chew it
then you slappit on your jacket
PK penny a packet.

Totally forgotten about PK gum Topsy. Remember it came in these handy little packets. Didn't realise it was made by Wrigleys either. Viv

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337449769.522967.jpg

Yes Nico. Gum, chum was definitely from an advert, but can't remember which one! It was catchy though....

Anyone remember the charts being called "The Hit Parade"? It was first launched by New Musical Express in 1952. Viv.

Yes me. and 76 Trombones led the hit parade. It was called Le 'it parad in France too apparently. Used to Get the Record Mirror too loved Fresco Le Ray, and Waterloo Turd, (cartoons,) the last was a parody on Paddington Bear.
Have 2 old 'Words' books. Genesis is on the front of one and Santana the other I think. Think there was thread before when I joined a bit similar.
I recall unzip a banana, and Happiness is egg shaped. Go to work on an egg. A million housewives everyday pick up a tin of beans and say " what xxxxx beans again! (Monty Python). Mummy why are your hands so soft (Fairy) cos I don't do any xxx work!Honey have some honey with me. How do you do it Stanley. Luvlee deh int it? Sorry........ I will shut up now.

As a youngster i didn,t like ....Raelbrook..Raelbrook the shirts for men advert or The Michelin man that used to be on the top of vans. I don,t know why i was so scared of them.

You can tell a Vitalis man...when the wind blows. More men had bad toupés then. I liked the Michelin man myself, now I am called the Michelin man.
Put a tiger in your tank. We had a tiger tail hanging of the car rear view mirror and vile amber glasses which made my milk in them look bad with the petrol coupons. You put shots of red stuff in with your petrol too.

Sitting out in the lovely sunshine today I remembered something we used to do in our garden in the 50s/60s. We didn't buy garden furniture did we? Non of these fancy bistro sets or 10 seater dining table complete with brolley etc. Lovely though they are, I had to smile at the memory of our improvisation in the garden in those days. We used to stand the wheelbarrow on the handles with the wheel up in the air and we'd sit inside it to sunbathe. It formed a nice sturdy seat but you had to take care when you got up as the the barrow would fly back onto its wheel as soon as you took the weight off it. The other drawback was, if the sun had been on the barrow for some time, when you sat in it you'd get quite a nasty hot shock. :friendly_wink:Viv.

Ha Ha brilliant Viv just the laugh I needed today... I do remember sitting in a hot wheelbarrow, or lying on a scratchy blanket....happy days..

And we used old gas pipes to make fruit cages and supports for runner beans. Thinking about it our garden must have looked more like a cross between an allotment and Steptoe & Son's scrapyard (we still had the parts of an old Anderson shelter lying around, various parts of motocycles and the washtub etc). Not too pretty by today's standards, but a treasure trove of old junk. We didn't have a bought clothes prop either for the washing line. We had a very long piece of wood about 2" x 2" with a 'V' cut into the end. Lasted years. Viv.

we used to take mom's old wooden clothes horse outside and put a sheet or blanket over it for a tent!
Oh and in the summer with the light nights, mom used to put a blanket over the curtains, so it would be dark in the bedroom and we'd go to bed/sleep the same time as in winter!

Nico I worked for Times Furnishing in the middle 60s and Willoughby had a department in there. I bought a suede coat from them on the 'never never'.

I always remembered the large "Times Furnishing" neon sign you could see on the way into the town centre, late50's early 60's.
paul

Someone gave us an old settee so we took our older one outside and took off the horsehair and leatherette, this left a sturdy wooden frame to which Dad nailed a wooden seat. This became a garden seat, a stage to play on, etc. With a sheet draped over the line it was a den. My stilts were made from an old clothes horse. Dad mended the garden gate with the seat from the outside toilet (It was a wide plank not a round seat!)
Happy days.
rosie.

Its still an attitude I adopt to this day, if there is something without value lying about that can be put to good use then I use it. I will retrieve good timber from skips that are near the house and make use of them, people throw perfectly good things away. Last summer the school behind me got one of those foot scraper grids which was slightly too big, they just cut off the surplus and threw it in the skip, the off-cut is now outside my front door doing a very useful job!!

viv and wendy l had a chuckle reading about your memories....l remember one hot summer day in the early 50's my girlfriend and i were sunbathing in the yard laying in deck chairs hoping to get a tan of course.....and l mentioned close your eyes and think were at the seaside, where as my father flushed the outside tiolet and said no think thats the tide coming in ....thank you for the memories.....Brenda

Nico I worked for Times Furnishing in the middle 60s and Willoughby had a department in there. I bought a suede coat from them on the 'never never'.
i remember that name, and Wades. Mum bought a beaver lamb we didn't know the cruelty then, she got it cheap from a lady on hard times. It weigehd a ton.
My parents couldn't afford Trutex Toppers I am glad as I didn't like them. Got my shirts from a lovely old shop called Cooksons Warehouse, smelled of linen, everything was white.
Dad used to go on about the playtes loyng louyne braw, some american actress voiced the ad, and my girdle is killing me, he would shout take the blighter orf then or some other delicate tribute.

Thanks all. Some uplifting, funny memories. If our ancesters saw the contents of some building skips today they'd have a field day. I've never had the courage to go and ask the owner if I can take something from a skip. Oh so many lost opportunities! Viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back