• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham in 1950s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Viv I have got a photo of myself in one of those bathing costumes sitting on a blow up duck somewhere on holiday.

Hi Carolina. I felt they weren't the most comfortable item of clothing to wear. My daughter has bought the modern version of the dress and she thought they were very comfortable. Maybe they don't skimp on the elastic these days, or maybe it was just in short supply in the 50s! Viv.

Remember children's sundresses. They were strappy and had an elasticated bodice. There were many rows of very thin elastic from the waist to the top and the dresses could be extremely tight when new until they'd been stretched a bit. There were swimsuits too with the elasticated bodice and tie strings around the neck, like a halter neck but with very thin straps. Viv
I think the elastication was (is) called shirring.

I think the elastication was (is) called shirring.
Have a photo with mum in an elasticated swimsuit and nan in a bikini of the same type the bikini bottom was deep. My cousins who were 10 children had knitted swimsuits, all their clothes were, my cousin said they were itchy and soggy. Shirred as opposed to smocked?

Have a photo with mum in an elasticated swimsuit and nan in a bikini of the same type the bikini bottom was deep. My cousins who were 10 children had knitted swimsuits, all their clothes were, my cousin said they were itchy and soggy. Shirred as opposed to smocked?
Smocking was used before elastic was around.It is done by pleating the fabric to allow it to stretch.

Keegs - Smocking is done by sewing the pleated fabric in place and does not stretch, the pleats are stitched together with a kind of embroidery. I used to have lots of dresses with smocking on the bodices, when I was small.

Keegs - Smocking is done by sewing the pleated fabric in place and does not stretch, the pleats are stitched together with a kind of embroidery. I used to have lots of dresses with smocking on the bodices, when I was small.
Just checked in one of my wife's sewing reference books "Smocking,an embroidery technique used to gather fabric so that it can stretch," I think It was developed for use around cuffs etc,instead of buttons to give fit but flexibility.It may have become used for decoration,but was initally used for functionality as I said before elastic was available.
Keegs.

Well, obviously, I was born after elastic came into being - but if smocking was the same as it was when I was a child how did it stretch? I can't fathom that out. Each pleat is sewn, so perhaps the sewing was different, or perhaps not so much of it? I can see its use on cuffs, it would not need as much stretch as a bodice and I suppose as it obviously looked nice, it was later used for decoration?

I used to love sewing smocking, smock dresses were fashionable in the late 60's. I made a few. It was stretchy as the material was stitched in alternate pleats so it would stretch to fit. Some of the best early examples are farmers smock tops, and babies dresses.

Here is an example of simple smocking which shows how to stretch the stiching.
Smocking.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a photo of me with my lovely Dad on the beach in Bournemouth. I have my shirred swimming costume one of many...lol

View attachment 77399
Wendy_and_Dad_001.jpg

The 50s may be the forgotten decade by some but not me. The fashions were lovely; full skirts with pretty fabrics as seen on 'Call the Midwife'. The 50s styles are so popular there is a new 'vintage style' shop in Solihull. There are several pages on the web devoted to 50s fashions. The Light Programme on the radio had gems like Jimmy Clitheroe, Educating Archie - a ventriloquist on the radio - Life with the Lyons, The Navy Lark and more that a senior moment prevents my recalling them. As a previous contributor has said, Radio 4 Extra/Radio 7 has a good selection. Not forgetting the Goons. Does anyone remember early television programmes for children? My husband remembers Billy Bean but it is before my time. He even remembers the theme tune/song. As a small child I remember Monday was Picture Book, Tuesday was Andy Pandy, Wednesday -The Flower Pot Men, Thursday - Rag, Tag and Bobtail and Friday - The Wooden Tops. These programmes followed Listen with Mother on the radio. Sundays showed Muffin the Mule introduced by Annette Mills, the sister of John Mills. Another programme was Twizzle, character whose legs grew very long.
I understand ones long term memory is sharper than recent memory! Happy days.

I remember 'Billy Bean' too. The song used to go...Billy Bean built a machine to see what it would do..can't remember anymore batmadviv, but maybe your husband can. The very first childrens programme I can remember was called 'Bits and Pieces'. 'Hank' was one of my favourites too.

What a lovely photo of you and your lovely dad Wendy. I have similar photo's of me with my dad too. Because we lost our dad's when they were far to young, these photo's mean such a lot. You are very much like your dad on that pic.

When you think about it - a ventrilioquist - ON THE RADIO! Have you ever heard of anything so silly? I remember it well, we used to have lunch at my gran's house quite often on Sundays, and she always had the radio on, much to my delight. (my mother would not allow radio or television to be on unless she wanted to watch herself, so I got to hear and see almost nothing). Round the Horne was probably my favourite. I remember Billy Bean well, but my husband doesn't.

Well both of the dresses I had that were smocked did not look at all like this sample, so perhaps mine was just for decoration purposes. The one I still had when I was ten, was heavily embroidered, the smocking was in zig-zag pattern in shiny pink and blue silk. The pleats were more like pin-tucks too. No wonder mine did not stretch. The yellow one I had when I was five I can only just about remember, but it also had a heavy embroidered look. I may have a photo of the pink and blue one, but how much of the smocking is on show I cannot remember. I don't think I had any more smocked dresses, just the two from memory.

Thank you maggs and Lyn for the kind words. Maggs I have lots of photos of my Dad and treasure them all as I am sure you do they will never be forgotten...x

I used to like Torchy but found it a bit scary, I don't remember Billy Bean neither does Michael. Isn't it funny how we remember some things and not others. I suppose I was lucky we always had a TV, were allowed to watch the children's programs although my brothers always had first choice!!

!

When you think about it - a ventrilioquist - ON THE RADIO! Have you ever heard of anything so silly? I remember it well, we used to have lunch at my gran's house quite often on Sundays, and she always had the radio on, much to my delight. (my mother would not allow radio or television to be on unless she wanted to watch herself, so I got to hear and see almost nothing). Round the Horne was probably my favourite. I remember Billy Bean well, but my husband doesn't.
It was an item recently about the radio ventriloquist on Radio 2 as they doing how to wrapping parcels on the radio, and they have a gardener too.
I liked Dave Allen with Titch and Quackers and Lord Charles (whom I thought was Prince Charles!)

Thank you maggs and Lyn for the kind words. Maggs I have lots of photos of my Dad and treasure them all as I am sure you do they will never be forgotten...x

I used to like Torchy but found it a bit scary, I don't remember Billy Bean neither does Michael. Isn't it funny how we remember some things and not others. I suppose I was lucky we always had a TV, were allowed to watch the children's programs although my brothers always had first choice!!
Was going to say you haven't changed a bit. I am told I haven't ether, still got chubby legs and wild hair. When I scrolled down to your dad's photo I went a bit funny as he reminded me of my dad. same hairline. Dad looked a bit like David Tomlinson.
I remember Sparky's Magic Piano, there was a shop called Sparkys Pianos in either Sparkhill or Sparkbrook enroute to my Selly Oak relatives.
Also remember Bleep and Booster and Bengo.

I used to love sewing smocking, smock dresses were fashionable in the late 60's. I made a few. It was stretchy as the material was stitched in alternate pleats so it would stretch to fit. Some of the best early examples are farmers smock tops, and babies dresses.

Here is an example of simple smocking which shows how to stretch the stiching.
View attachment 77398
I got a smocked dress for my friend's little gitl from Ladybird in Woolies. She is 30 now. It was like a peasant dress, that wasn't stretchy but I have seen some that are. When mum saw it she remarked that all her dresses were hand made by her aunt with smocking across the front. She long for a bought dress.

Was she and Rio Rita the same woman, as she or they were dad's favourite he called the Ring and Rid Lady that, .

Viv I have got a photo of myself in one of those bathing costumes sitting on a blow up duck somewhere on holiday.
Someone has a video of me trying to get on a blow up dolphin which is more scary. I always wanted a rubber ring with a swan on the front. Never got one. Took years to learn to swim. My bathers were very long waisted with a tiny leg and a stripe up the side. I always had to keep my tee shirt on incase of sunburn.

I remember 'Billy Bean' too. The song used to go...Billy Bean built a machine to see what it would do..can't remember anymore batmadviv, but maybe your husband can. The very first childrens programme I can remember was called 'Bits and Pieces'. 'Hank' was one of my favourites too.

Billy Bean built a machine to see what it could do.
He built it out of sticks and stones, nuts and bolts and glue.
The motor sang 'Chuckle a bang'.........................
And all of a sudden a picture appeared on the funny old cartoonerator.

The dotted lines are senior moments - well he is older than I am!

I remember Hank with a droopy moustache and 10 gallon hat but not Bits and Pieces.

Having a ventriloquist on the radio just proves that the pictures on the radio are so much better than on a screen.
Round the Horne is still one of my favourites on Radio 4 Extra and CDs can stil be bought from the BBC web site.
Batmadviv

Was going to say you haven't changed a bit. I am told I haven't ether, still got chubby legs and wild hair. When I scrolled down to your dad's photo I went a bit funny as he reminded me of my dad. same hairline. Dad looked a bit like David Tomlinson.
I remember Sparky's Magic Piano, there was a shop called Sparkys Pianos in either Sparkhill or Sparkbrook enroute to my Selly Oak relatives.
Also remember Bleep and Booster and Bengo.

Wasn't Sparky's Magic piano on the radio on Children's Favourites? Uncle Mac introduced it. Someone always seemed to write in for the Vienna Boys Choir singing 'I love to go a wandering'.
batmadviv

I remember Billy Bean - it was something to do with Michael Bentine on a children's tv programme wasn't it?

Great memories shortie. They were some of my favourite programs, Sunday was the day we listened to the radio most.

I agree, brilliant memories. Sunday was the only day I could listen to the radio too, and them only when we went to Sheldon to my gran's house. Some smashing programmes. Radio I think is very good -it makes you think more than television.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back