• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Cinemas

Hi Judy
Yes, the one cinema was the Villa Cross but it is the other cinema that I can't remember the name of.

The "Lozells Picture House" -as it used to be called-was halfway between Heathfield Road and Birchfield Road. It was an independent cinema and went into dereliction I think sometime during the late 1950's. It was neither an ABC nor Odeon/Gaumont cinema.

The Villa Cross, at the junction of Lozells/Heathfield/Villa Road did eventually become an Odeon cinema during the 1960's but was never advertised as such either in the press or on the building infrastructure. That transferred to Asian movie showing after 20th April 1970, and then later converted into a bingo hall. Suffered considerable damage in the 1985 Handsworth disturbances and demolished 1989.

The nearest ABC Minors cinema would have had to have been a listed ABC Cinema, the nearest of which WAS the Palladium at Hockley. Other than that the nearest were the Regal at Handsworth(junction of Booth Street), which only became named as an ABC on the outside from 1959 onwards; or going east there was the Astoria (Lichfield Road,Aston) which later became the Alpha TV studios, or the Orient High Street Six Ways Aston which went over to Asian programming in August 1969.

:)

Many thanks Richie, another memory gap filled very professionally.

Last edited:
Hi Jerry
We did our courting in the Sheldon cinema 1962.It must have been a good cinema because i am still married to the girl i did my courting with.Every wednesday when the shop closed 1.00 clock. Halfords coventry road is where my girlfriend worked.And i worked in Halfords high street Erdington

Sparks

The Lozells Picture House was the first Cinema to show Films on Sunday, the first show was 8th January 1933. The cinema was destroyed in an Air raid 1942 and the manager was killed that night on Fire-watching Duty, Lionel Jennings.

as i remember the Villa Cross at night looked very impressive when lit up
Roystonp123

I used to queue for ages on a Saturday night to get in the Villa Cross with my friend Jean Thomas. Here is what it says about the cinema from the website 'Cinema Treasures' -

The building was a wonderful example of an early picture palace that was beginning to replace the former shop conversions of half a decade before. The facade was dominated by a huge round 'Rose' stained glass window over the main entrance doors. Inside the auditorium, there were sculptured decorative panels on the side walls proclaiming 'The World Before Your Eyes' that were guarded by statuary of angels and cherubs. All very charming! Seating was provided in stalls and circle.

How sad that the building no longer exists.

As a regular contributor to Cinema Treasures, can I let you know that if one scrolls down past the mid-way adverts you can get links to a series of photos following each of the nostalgic comments.

In particular, on the Villa Cross page you can access a 1960's photo of the cinema in its last decade, one whilst showing "Mary Poppins". The owner of that photo is a friend of mine who is the proprietor of Cinema Treasures so please anyone always include the link to CT if making a reference to any of the archive materials on there.

Thanks. Richie.:)

Many thanks Richie, another memory gap filled very professionally.

Much obliged Sparks:)

When i first registered over a year ago i promised some day I would make a profile of each of the Birmingham cinemas, drawing together not only up-to-date internet links, but also reviews and adverts from my own private collection of newspaper cutting and magazines, going back some 45 years in some cases.

What an over-ambition that was !:stressed:

I'll endeavour to get up to speed in 2009 despite the world having careered off its axis in the past twelve months taking everyone else with it!!

I've started cinema profiles on my more local MidlandsHeritage website; starting off with the ABC Hanley,Stoke-on-Trent, using the same profile name and have promised readers there to do Wolverhampton and other similar locations. Look forward to the task regarding Birmingham however:cool:

Richie.

Apologies Richie - I thought that by giving the website name that was sufficient, but here is the link

https://cinematreasures.org/theater/13826/

A very interesting and informative site.

Judy

Thanks for that Judy. Its just that the CinemaTreasures search index is a little unique on occasions (!) and the Villa Cross is in a special case of its own in that it's not listed under Birmingham but under Handsworth individually as far as the UK is concerned.

We might have interested forumers tearing their hair out trying to find out where the profile is listed:biggrin:

The first Odeon was in Perry (Pear) Barr (Hill).
Opened on 4th August 1930 by Oscar Deutsch the name ODEON derives from part of his name,
Oscar Deutsh Entertains Our Nation.
He was Born of Jewish Hungarian Parents in Balsall Heath 1889 Died 1941.
How many Cinemas do you have stories about and what was your favorite story of that cinema.
The first Odeon was the 5,000 seat model built in Athens about 2,400 years ago, I think Oscar just borrowed the name

Very nice George I was there for the opening:redface::explode:
Alf, I was there on Christmas day 1983. the stone seats in the dress circle are a bit hard. Just looked in my guide book, I was wrong about it's age. It was built in AD 161 by Herodes Atticus in memory of his wife but since then the roof has gone,

Hi Jennyann

Warm Greetings.

I'm another new member to this seemingly hospitable forum which I accessed again last week after a lapse of a few years and was soon reading posts by you before joining three days ago. It seemed whatever subject matter I was looking for as an exiled Brummie - and the list I had recently made was a long one - you had something to say, none more so than the Plaza post I came across a few hours ago this afternoon and promptly attempted a lengthy reply, although in error whilst switching tabs, lost what had soon been written.

I will message smaller morsals henceforth.

The name of the Plaza manager "Riago" started all manner of bells ringing in my head and likewise the dogs; the field behind your house; your school; the fact you lived above him; as well as the other two cinemas and the two decades, you mention, the 1940s and 50s - all so very, very familiar.

My first reply line to you had been to suggest you refer to Frank Riego rather than "Riago" of Ransom Road.

You immediately, from these tantalizing but few clues, had me trying to work out where you actually lived, and what school you were attending. I knew of Mr. Riego for several reasons. He was a well-known local figure and senior members of my family knew him well. My Dad's youngest sister Peggy had her first home in Ransom Road just after WW2.

Having lived at the top of Griffin Road adjacent Hesketh Crescent thro' the 40s on what you no doubt know had previously been extensive fields atop Bleak Hill(s) in the previous century I have over time had cause to write extensively about this specific locale and the several remarkable people who once lived there, and it soon dawned on me reading what you reveal, you and I must have been near contemporaries living close to one another hereabouts ..... and it would seem you too follow the Villa. How could I not? Fred Archer, Villa's long serving Secretary was across the road and four doors down were the illustrious Devey family.

There was a gulley in Griffin road by Woolmore Road leading down to Witton Lakes where the dogs were taken on occasions, (though there must have been times Mr. Riego would have walked them to Brookvale as well). Here we kids had rival gangs who engaged in turf throwing fights - great fun but a nightmare for our Mothers trying to keep us clean.

My first guess therefore, with certain reservations, was Marsh Hill Primary was your school (as it was my younger brother's) and you lived on the bend of Knightwick Crescent nearest the lakes, but then you would have had to climb up a bit before going down steep Woolmore Road, which doesn't seem quite right. Furthermore this case rests on you leaving by the rear of you house - not the most usual of routines.

Please don't tell me unless I am correct. Rather I would prefer if I am wrong you play a game and give me another clue and I will try again. I dismissed fields behind R. M. Douglas and south of Marsh Hill, and certain other schools, namely Slade Road, Fentham Road, Marsh Lane and Turfpits as being outside the apparent relevant zone. If you lived Hesketh/Bleak Hill Road I cannot bring to mind a field on a projected bee-line unless it was behind St. Mark's.

I look forward to a reply.

David M

Greetings David: Thanks for the message. Sorry you lost your message. As you can see I have been a member of this forum since 2002..going on seven years. You have come tantalizingly close to where I lived years ago. I still have major connections to this road since the older neighbour now in her 90's is still living and there are two close neighbours were younger than my parents by several years and I go back to visit them when I am in England.

Mr. Riago, you can find references to him on Google, was very prominent in Alsatian raising circles in Birmingham and did much for the Dog Association as you would know.
So that brings me to my school, at least Junior. This was indeed Marsh Hill
Junior and Infants which was scant minutes from my home. A clue...from the back bedroom of our house we could see a wide skyline including the
Villa Grounds, prefaced by Allotments at Wyreley Birch,the GEC Main
Office Block and on into Birmingham so we were very high up. My second school was a College in Birmingham and then to Fentham Girls in Erdington.

There is a member on our forum Peter Walker who lived in the Rdigeway and Hawthorn Road area I believe, who has also written extensively on the Witton Lakes area before the houses were built on the lands. Hopefully, you can post your writings on the history of this area.

As for Ransom Road, Mr. Rieago lived at the end house across from Marsh Hill School on the corner of Woolmore and Ransom. I am not sure I would have known Peggy but I might have. The Aston Villa connection was very strong in Ransom Road since the very famous, for his day, Scottish International and Pompey player, Jimmy Easson brought his family to live in Ransom Road from Portsmouth. Mr. Easson's claim to fame. He scored 100 goals in one season with Portsmouth in the l930's. He came to be a Trainer/Scout for Aston Villa Football Club in the l950's and his son, also called Jim, was a good friend of my brother Peter. Jim emigrated many years ago to Eastern Canada. Jim Easson lived until a good old age in Ransom Road.

I know the whole area so well as I lived there for 21 years and my nickname was "Roamer". Witton Lakes Park was my playground and access to it was also by a similar passageway as you describe. I had friends in Short Heath and would walk along Hesketh Crescent past Griffin Road and on to Bleakhill Road to visit them very often. My piano teacher Mrs. Mansell was just around the corner at the top of Bleak Hill. I remember a Robinson family, Archer's and Andrew Hey and Jennings across the road in Hesketh Crescent.

The bottom end of Woolmore Road which had an entrance to Witton Lakes Park had the nick name of "The Banjo" by locals. In the "Banjo" lived the most children in the area in one place. It was called the Banjo because it was a cul-de-sac and shaped like a banjo. Perhaps some of these children were your rivals in turf warfare David.:)

I was christened at St. Mark's Church mostly for convenience because of the bombing that was going on at the time. Aston Parish was my father's family's church and my two brothers were christened there. One of it's ministers was the husband of one of my teacher's at Marsh Hill, Mrs Wright and he was Reverend Wright. However, I did not attend St. Mark's. My church was St. Barnabas in Erdington High Street.

David, hopefully this gives you some more clues as to where I lived.

I remember a film. I think it was called 'the house on haunted hill' What was so memorable was they had a pulley system above the screen and at a certain point in the film a skeleton was winched out above the audience. This caused mass mirth and people threw things at it!

Does anyone remember the Saturday morning pictures at the Odeon Perry Barr, price 6d old money?
I can still remember all the words and tune to "we come along on Saturday morning........." can anyone also recall?
I also remember the sing song with the manager and singing to a film of the "Raggle Taggle Gypsies Oh."

Hello again Jennyann,:)
Thanks so much for your interesting reply. The Banjo was news to me.
I had a friend down there in Woolmore not a combatant.
Thank you even more for entering into the spirit of a quizz game.
Pleasing it was to note I got the right school.
Now for the other half of the puzzle.
Actually you had me trying to work out whether you are older or younger than me.
I was born Pearl Harbour time.
Whilst 'tantalizingly close' would suggest Woolmore -
the higher bit by the Lindridge Griffin junction
near where cousins Michael and Josie lived
other clues seemed to hint at elsewhere on other high ground.
I sketched out a street map, marking places like the Plaza and old haunts like Morris's newsagents,
selected only houses on the higher ground,
narrowed these down to ones with a western and south westerly line of sight and attempted to fit in a field rather than a small plot somewhere behind houses
seeking an acre - 70yds x 70yds square or 100 x 50,
approximately two-thirds of the Villa pitch -
and concluded the most obvious place of seven selected,
one which could shorten your school journey by more than 100 yards,
was if you lived along from Anslow on the west side of Hesketh near the bend into Bleak Hill.
If so I postulate you cut through somewhere by or before St. Mark's
passing down into the top end of Ransom
before a house was built taking up the field in question -
though I at the moment do not recollect such a field -
adjoing but below St. Mark's open space.
Doing so would have saved you having to go into Bleak Hill
before going down Marsh Hill.
If this is correct you lived by my first girlfriend and playmate when we were about six or seven, Denise Brown.
Aunt Peggy was a neighbour of Mr. Riego's. She eventually moved to Ontario via Little Aston.
Husband Wilf worked at the GEC.
He was an early hero - a Spitfire Fighter Ace in the war.
How I loved his bomber jacket!
I've recollections to write about the Plaza which can wait
but the puzzle in question, should it be posted elsewhere to continue,
since the subject matter is not primarily at the moment about Cinema?
Please advise.
Have you a personal site?
I will refrain from commenting now about the other familiar people you mention for brevity,
except to say dear Jenny Robinson was my guardian angel as a small child.
Tell me more about your music lessons. Dad was a musician.
I look forward to your reply.
Cheers,
David M.

I remember a film. I think it was called 'the house on haunted hill' What was so memorable was they had a pulley system above the screen and at a certain point in the film a skeleton was winched out above the audience. This caused mass mirth and people threw things at it!

i'm a collector of film and TV memorabilia, and although the following is not from my collection, I've tracked down a poster to confirm your surmise:

www.moviegoods.com/movie_poster/house_on_haunted_hill_1958.htm

When you view the poster you can click on it to enlarge and it will detail the special effects your recall.

Richie

Another memory of the Odeon Perry Barr was when the Jack Warner film the "Blue Lamp" was showing they set up a blue Police lamp outside the cinema, as kids we thought this was wonderful. I seem to remember that films changed each except for the blockbusters and they were billed as retained for a second week. the Blue Lamp went on for weeks.

just Had a quick look at the pages and pages of cinemas and I recall a picture of Oscar Deutch at one of the Odeons but cant find it so am posting this my apologies to whoever as I dont know where it came from :rolleyes: I also remember something about the odeon Kingstanding on another thread and kettlehouse was mentioned anyway here is the photo:Di have a couple of others when it was opened?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have in my possesion several books about local cinemas including Chris and Rosemary Cleggs book entitled " The Dream Palaces of Birmingham" so if anyone wants to request any information I might be able to Help.

Whats the difference between their other book The Picture Palaces of Birmingham & Solihull and the one you have. I have the one published in 1984. Less Picture Houses or what?:)

Last edited:
Really have no idea Alf, Im tempted to say the book you have includes Sohihull, hee hee!!

The book I have was published in 1983, so presumably the version you have includes further research into the Warwickshire Borders. Although I found the book interesting it doesnt really get into the "nitty gritty" but it does provide some interesting Pictures and general details.

Back