• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Cinemas

Have just been perusing this thread and thought you might like these, i dont think they have been on before.

Astonite its the ODEON Kingstanding seen the outside but not inside photos before thanks.:)

Never been inside either not a flicks person me. When I did go I wouldn't see much of the movie. Jean.

Does any-bodyrecall the old jacy cinema at the old dale end in the forties
and the fifties where they used to show alot of micky mouse cartoons
it used to be across the road from the old henerys store
and the old police man with his white arm bands used to do traffic duty
and the general public lavs was in the middle of the junction where the police officier stood have a nice day every-body best wishes astonian ,;;

Astonian

Here you are, the complete scene except for Henry's.

Phil

Lost photo replaced .but not by the original.

jacey new theatre, dale end.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Good photo Phil. Brings back good memories.

Astonian, my Dad used to take me to the News Theatre when I was a little girl to see the cartoons. There used to be a continuous programme of newsreel and cartoons. It was a treat to go there, as we didn't have any television in those days!

Judy

Astonian mentioned it to Pete and straight away said cartoons. He remembers staying there all day. I wasn't born till 46 and can't remember it. Lovely photo Phill AS USUAL. Jean.

HI Phil And Judy 39
Many Thanks For Your Replies Guys ,
Phil You Done Me And I,m Sure Many Of Our Freinds On The Forum Proud
And Certanly Brought Memories Flooding BackToThe Good Old Days I Remember Some
Of Them Micky Mouse Silent OnesAs Well Judy ,It Was My Uncle Joe Whom Used To Treat Me To The Flicks Every Week We Had No Telly And The Old Man wAS To
Concerned With The Golden Cross Pub On The Aston Cross He Used To Take Me To Most Picture Houses In B,ham And He Always Bought Me A Penny Worth Of Chips After , And Then Take Me Home To Mom Once AgainMany Thanks For Sharing The Memory , Have A Nice Day , And Be Careful Out There , Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Hi Astonite,

Yes, I remember the Jacey so I guess we must both be around the same age! :p

Henry's Store too, but I left Brum for the south coast in January 1961 and I think both these places, along with half the town centre, had gone by the time of my first return visit a few years later.

Drifting off the cinema thread for a moment, Henry's was, if I remember right, pretty down market, but not the real junk quality stuff which was the main body of stock at the old Peacocks Store! :D

Regards,

HI Sosperi
Yes Indeed I Must Admit By Todays Stanard It Was Abit Of A Junk Shop
But You Certainly Got Some Bargains It Was The Working Class Store For The Working Class Just Like Old Woolworths Started Every Think For A Tanner [ Sixpence ]
It Was,t Like Mark And Spencers In Them Days Posh Our Gran Took Us In There Years Ago When We Was Little She Was Rich Being Whom She Was
Bertha Hinton ,Nee Jelf Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Jacy

First it was the Electric Theatre 1911, then the Select 1921 , then the Tatler March 1937 as a News Theatre.
Early 1960s renamed the Jacey
The place later showed sex films till 1980 when it became Classic. Last news I have of it was that it was the Tivoli 1 & 2. in 1984:)

Hi Astonian,

I remember that most of the toys in Peacocks were made of stamped and pressed tin-plated steel, all the individual parts being held together by little tabs pushed into tiny slots and bent over. Most didn't run to the luxury of being boxed and, by today's standards, would have been condemned for having sharp or rough edges - and the paint probably contained a fair share of lead! :)

But in a collectables fair today, they would probably fetch a very good price despite the poor quality of workmanship. Now we'd better get this thread back onto the subject of cinemas before someone yells "Bring back the cat!" :headhit:

Regards,

Sospiri

I don't know sospiri, I haven't been to Brum for years, hoping for an answer from the good folks here:)

I too remember the theatre in Dale End. I used to queue for the 39 bus on Martineau Street coming home from school in l953 just up from Henry's. I seem to remember that the theatre had a moving marquee with what was playing in lights. I was so fascinated that one day I went to see what it was all about in there. I remember it was all cartoons and some news reels. I found out that it was open all day and people used to go there for the duration. Not sure when it closed down.

Astonite, many thanks for posting the pics of the Odeon, Kingstanding, I didn't go there, but went to the Perry Barr and New Street Odeons, the Odeons were really the most luxurious cinemas of the time.

Those were the days,my local Cinemas Robin Hood,Rialto both Hall Green.
Piccadilly and Waldorf Sparkbrook.
Another two I used to go to Carlton - Sparkhill & Kingsway - Kings Heath.
I was an usherette at the Robin Hood as an evening job in the 50's.
Also there was the Springfield which didn't last long,which sold Eldorado Ice Cream.

Midge

Am looking to contact Maurice Shepherd(Sheppard) who contacted me about Aldis & Perry Bros Sarehole Road.

Midge

I remember The Tudor cinema , 1944...We would stand outside and ask the grownups going in ....'Can you take me into the pictures please?" We wouldn't let our children do such a thing now.
Regards, JoAnne:)

Jemina

These will be a blast from the past for you then.

The Carlton
The Piccadilly
The Waldorf
The Kings Heath
The Robin Hood
The Rialto.

Phil

BalsallHeathCarltonTauntonRd-2.jpg
SparkbrookPicadillyStratfordRd.jpg

SparkbrookWaldorfWalfordRd.jpg
KingsHeathKingswayHighStKH.jpg

HallGreenRobinHood.jpg
]
HallGreenStratfordRdRialtoHallGreen.jpg

Re: Tudor Cinema, Kings Heath

I can't help much..but I remember that a wonderful organ rose up out of the stage floor and started to play before the pictures started..I was so enchanted.

Regards, JoAnne

Hi there Sospiri,
Are you on Holiday in Crete?
Do you remember the Roller Rink in Walford Road, I used to go there every week with my cousin,when I was in my Teens(Oh happy days):)

Hi PMC1947
Thankyou for the photos of the cinemas,it brought back lovely memories.
One of the Films I remember being shown in those days at the Waldorf was Golden earrings,starring Ray Milland.
Keep up the good work.

Does anyone recall the Kingston Cinema on Coventry Rd and their Saturday morning matinees in the 60s?
:):)hi mate i remember the Kingston opp the blues ground,
as all the cinema,s in and around brum way back when.
once i was riding pillion on the back of a BSA rocket gold star and we
had left alex,s in brum opp the Albany hotel we had a clear run,up
Kingston hill and were doing 80 mph passing the cinema,
it was one in the morning i was a bit scary at the time,i think if we
had got stopped they would have thrown the book at us.
as it goes they guy who was riding had a prosthetic leg,
not proud of it but what could i do. regards dereklcg.

Hi Jemima,

No, I've lived in Crete for the last four years. :cool:

I was not a great skating addict, but remember that there was a rink in Walford Road. The last time time I went roller skating was in the old Springfield Cinema shortly after the end of the war. During the war and for a year or two afterwards, the seating had been removed and it had been used by the Ministry of Food for storing sugar. When the sugar was removed - about 1948 I think - it left a nice sloping wooden floor with an upturn towards the screen end and made an ideal skating rink! :D

Regards,

Maurice

Re The Kingston cinema this is its sister The Sheldon cinema they have almost the same fronts, built circa 1937/38. i have a photo of The Kingston when i can find it. Len.

Back