• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Cinemas

Thanks for posting the photo Lencops, I have never seen the sheldon picture house before, was it where Tesco's is now?

Mariew, You are correct Tescos are on the site now but if you notice the Coventry Rd was not a dual carriage then. Len.

Good stuff Len thanks for the memory of the Programme and Postie for the contents.:)

Len your last post was 666

Last edited:
Alf, excuse me for going off topic but re 666, So what's 666? Speculation abounds! God loves a mystery and this is a big one. Some folks say it's the addition of a person's name (in Hebrew, ASCII, or Greek etc...). The Pope, Bill Gates and Clinton have been candidates, to name a few. Others say 666 is the web (WWW), or a barcode system.
Here's the actual verse from the Bible has to say about it:
And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.
(Revelations 13:17-18)
So basically it says, "If you're smart, when the time comes here's an additional clue to recognize it: It has something to do with 666. Len. (The Beast 666!).

On quick glance of these posts, has there been anything written about the News Cinema? High Street??????I think I mentioned it a while ago.
When I was training, and it was a day of competition, my coach always used to take me there between training in the morning and the competitions during the evening. "To calm my nerves" (Depended of course what the news happened to be whether it achieved this)

The Cinema's I used to frequent were the Kingsway (Kings Heath) Now a Bingo Hall.....the Pavilion (stirchley) Been a Bowling ally for a while.......or the Savoy (Breedon Hill Cotteridge) Demolished and a factory built there.

We sometimes went to the News Cinema, or News Theatre?? particularyly if it was raining, the programme was continuous, if you stayed in long enough it all started again, from early in the day to late evening. Was it behind New street Station?

Di it was the News Theatre but not behind New St Station it was in High Street. I use to travel up Dale End towards High St and it was near the Corner of Albert St just by a PUb thats how I remember it:)

Enjoy your trip tomorrow.

Di - There was a cinema called the Tatler in Station Street, behind New Street station, which also showed cartoons and newsreel. I think it was also continuous like the News Theatre in High Street. I used to go to both with my Dad for a treat which I was young.

Judy

The Beaufort, where I spent a lot of time. Also, has anyone got any pictures of the Castle cinema, Castle Bromwich?.

Terry

I wonder what the name of the cinema was at the top of New street by the town hall.
Me and my girlfriend went to see "The Young Ones" Cliff Richard And The Shadows,
in February 1962.I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the cinema.It had a small front but was quite nicely carpeted.By the way my girlfriend then is my wife now we have been married 45 years this year.
Roystonp123

Royston, that would be the Forum Cinema. The circle seats were very steep and at the back you felt as though you were going to fall off, could almost touch the ceiling! Congratulations to you and your wife!

Judy

The cinema at the top of New Street was the Forum,it was a nice one but I remember going there upstairs and the seats were very high,so when anybody stood up it felt like you were going to fall over the seat in front.

Midge

The Forum-I understand when opened on 1st November 1930 and originally to be called The Regent-was built within the shell of a Masonic Hall and because it was an end property(junction of Ethel Street) had to furnish its seating (1259 in all) on three levels instead of the usual two.

Consequently the projector room was constructed at the back of the stalls level rather than the circle which is normally the case,

It became the "ABC Forum" in 1961, and had its last performance on 9th April 1983. Might be able to show adverts showing these dates by the springtime.

I was very young but I do remember the Palladium Hockley. A flea pit. I also remember you could pay a penny to sit on the pipes at the back of the auditorium.

It was always known to me and my mates as the ABC new street,
and i have to admit i fell down them there steps a couple on times,
anyone else care to admit it,if my memory serves me right could,nt you here the trains from new st? happy days dereklcg.

hello
the Palladium and the Villa Cross on the Lozells Road we used to go to.
The Palladium was were we used to sneak in without paying till the usherette caught us and threw us out.Well we were only kids but not as bad as the kids today ehh!!!
Was it a tanner to go in on saturday?? i only got one and sixpence pocket money .
Roystonp123

hello Judy Jemima and Ritchie
Thank you for the info on the Forum very interesting info yes it was our first date and many to come ha ha
Roystonp123

I seem to remember two cinemas in the Lozells road. One was at the far end near the Soho Road where I used to go on Saturday mornings as an ABC minor, but I seem the remember another building half way along the Lozells Road which had been bombed. We spent many hours playing among the rubble and I think that was also had been a cinema.

More memories

Sparks, was the one cinema the Villa Cross? I used to go there a lot when I lived in Handsworth.

Judy

Back