• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Cinemas

No Paul, the Futurist was in John Bright Street, I remember going past the place five times a day when I drove the Bristol Road buses 6I, 62 and 63. It was on the immediate left as we departed Navigation Street. (I think???) Some one will know and tell us.

RITZ Bordesly Green circa 1928

Attachments

• CCF12042012_00003.jpg
    CCF12042012_00003.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 24
  • CCF12042012_00002.jpg
    CCF12042012_00002.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 21
WARWICK CINEMA original interior circa 1929
The Warwick Cinema situated in Westley Road Acocks Green originally opened as a silent cinema with Noel Wimperis and the Warwick orchestra played music to accompanying the films. It was equipped with a Brenograph which projected the stars on to the vaulted ceiling of the auditorium, this together with the scenes of Warwickshire through ivy covered arches painted on the side walls gave the impression of being out doors, the rear wall was covered with an artificial stone finish whilst the lounges and waiting areas had imitation fireplaces, leather chairs, and suits of armour, etc which gave you the impression of being in Warwick castle hence the name of the cinema. It closed as a cinema in 1992 and was converted into a Laserquest arcade.

Attachments

• CCF12042012_00001.jpg
    CCF12042012_00001.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
more pics of THE WARWICK

Attachments

• Warwick Cinema original front line drawing.jpg
    Warwick Cinema original front line drawing.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Warwick Cinema Front.jpg
    Warwick Cinema Front.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Warwick Cinema Auditorium.jpg
    Warwick Cinema Auditorium.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Warwick  Cinema Auditorium 2.jpg
    Warwick Cinema Auditorium 2.jpg
    875.4 KB · Views: 18
more pics of THE WARWICK

Attachments

• Warwick Cinema Projection Room.jpg
    Warwick Cinema Projection Room.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Warwick Cinema Foyer.jpg
    Warwick Cinema Foyer.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • Warwick Cinema Foyer 2.jpg
    Warwick Cinema Foyer 2.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 22
The ALHAMBRA Mosely Road. The interior had a Moorish Themed decor hence the name Alhambra from palaces built in Spain under the rule of the Moors

Attachments

• CCF12042012_00000.jpg
    CCF12042012_00000.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 23
No Paul, the Futurist was in John Bright Street, I remember going past the place five times a day when I drove the Bristol Road buses 6I, 62 and 63. It was on the immediate left as we departed Navigation Street. (I think???) Some one will know and tell us.
The Futurist had its main entrance on John Bright Street but its extended so its rear end was on Hill Street. Its still there, but under what name by now have no idea. It became the Spearmint Rhino Club in more recent years (1990's?)

I have found a small page of cinema 'forthcoming attractions' from the distant past. The print is rather small but can be read and I am amazed at just how many picture houses there used to be in Birmingham, I had a thought about how many people would be sitting sitting in all the cinemas at any given time on a busy evening.

Yes Stitcher it is amazing to think how many cinemas there were before television came in. There were 5 within walking distance of me when I grew up in Handsworth (Regal, Grand, Elite, Villa Cross and Palladium) and another (The Albion) not much further away.

Thanks for that Stitcher! Jerry Lewis always made me laugh, and Rhonda Fleming was really beautiful. Can't tell you how many times I went to The Elite! Also I loved seeing the telephone number. Our telephone number was also a NORthern one and this just brought the memory back. I still know our old telephone number from all those years ago.

Hello Stitcher i never went to the luxor cinema either, but i believe it was on the Balsall Heath Rd near Clevedon Rd if thats any help. all the best FT.

Do I have the correct location, I remember in the late fifties-early sixties as I travelled away from Pershore Road there used to be a cinema on left a couple of hundred yards from Pershore Road

Carolina to be fair I am not sure, but I think it is on the main road as you travel through Handsworth, I don't live that way and haven't been in that neighborhood for years in fact since relatives I had in Handsworth wood died many years ago.

Back