• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Central Library 1974 - 2015

It's a good job that they saved the old plaques (now a piece of history).

I think Cardiff has only had two so far. But they kept the old building and it is now a bar and exhibition centre.

This is the new Central Library in Cardiff.

at first i thought this was a joke viv...now i know it is lol

thanks for the info

lyn

By interesting coincidence the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) website has recently been adding to its side-by-side photo archive of the Madin library with its Victorian predecessor and other historic buildings. To help readers onto the website here is a SYMBOLIC
example of the collection with the old and new in the exact phase of the handover, although the 'old' building in the picture below will of course be the Midland Institute?

https://www.architecture.com/image-...ain-square-birmingham/posterid/RIBA51396.html

As one can see, the website name is now in the name of its new intellectual metamorphosis, but to avoid millions of other websites containing the name 'architecture' one can still get on via

www.ribapix.com

and type in 'Birmingham Library' in the Home Page search box. ( A few strange inclusions in that selection, just because they were in Birmingham maybe, but there are three pages if members can spot the page turn feature somewhere in a corner there)

11th February 2016

Attachments

• 11th February 2016 Thursday  0007.jpg
    11th February 2016 Thursday 0007.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 11th February 2016 Thursday  0008.jpg
    11th February 2016 Thursday 0008.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 11th February 2016 Thursday  0018.jpg
    11th February 2016 Thursday 0018.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 11th February 2016 Thursday  0020.jpg
    11th February 2016 Thursday 0020.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 11th February 2016 Thursday  0042.jpg
    11th February 2016 Thursday 0042.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 15
What a slow process. But suppose demolishing and shifting that volume of concrete will take quite a while. Viv.

thanks for the photos dave...nice to see the demo coming along and i dont say that very often lol....

lyn

Alan, as Ellbrown correctly states, the very first library was burnt down in 1879 and replaced with the one you recall with its ladders etc etc. I only went into it the once but still remember it well.

There's a thought, how many vaguely "central" libraries has Birmingham had? Apart from the ones mentioned so far.The Birmingham Library on Union Street that seems to have been a subscription/membership one dating from the back end of the 18th Century and still around in the 1840s. Another one from 1866 lasts with a break after a fire - presumably until the 1890s. Then there's the 1898 library which lasts until (?). I seem to remember there's another on Broad Street after that. Then we have the 60s version now being demolished and the new one. Have I missed any or got one wrong?

There's a thought, how many vaguely "central" libraries has Birmingham had? Apart from the ones mentioned so far.The Birmingham Library on Union Street that seems to have been a subscription/membership one dating from the back end of the 18th Century and still around in the 1840s. Another one from 1866 lasts with a break after a fire - presumably until the 1890s. Then there's the 1898 library which lasts until (?). I seem to remember there's another on Broad Street after that. Then we have the 60s version now being demolished and the new one. Have I missed any or got one wrong?

The Birmingham and Midland Institute on Margaret Street occupy one of Birmingham's former city centre libraries!

The Birmingham and Midland Institute is now on Margaret Street, in Birmingham City Centre. It was a pioneer of adult scientific and technical institution (General Industrial, Commercial and Music) and it today offers Arts and Sciences lectures.

When the old mid 19th century building was demolished in 1965 as part of the redevelopment of Birmingham City Centre, the BMI moved to Margaret Street, the home of the private Birmingham Library, which is a Grade II* listed building, designed in 1889 by architects Jethro Cossins, F. B. Peacock, and Ernest Bewly.

when i click on frothys link it takes me to my yahoo email...how has that happened

lyn

Just made the video pubic, still not showing. Any ideas ellbrown?

I see you made it public. If it's set to Private, Friends Only etc, it can't be seen publicly, or be shared.

You can also change privacy settings in organiser. Or on the main photo / video page under "Additional Info".

There's something very therapeutic about Frothblower's clip. Like Warren, I too would love a go with those big pincers? Viv.

Last edited:
IN the early 80's they held an 'open' art exhibition in this Library and they accepted 4 of my entries (one oil 3 watercolours.) two were sold, nobody more surprised than me ! as I was competing with professional artists. Must admit did not like the Library. Eric

Some screenshots from the BBC programme The Game, shown last year. B'ham Central Library was chosen as the setting for MI5 HQ in the programme. Pretty convincing too Some interior shots.. Viv.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
And a couple of exterior shots

image.jpeg

And alongside its neighbour, St. Paul's Cathdral!!

image.jpeg

A model of the library but it looks like this plan wasn't built - well at least not in full. Viv.

image.jpeg

It was ok, nothing special. Trying to make Birmingham be London. Not that they bothered to cover or alter road signs!

And where would they have filmed the HQ while the library is being knocked down? (other than recreate the location on a sound stage)

That's true Ell.

Here's an interior photo from its heyday. I have vivid memories of rough concrete and harsh fluorescent lighting. Viv.
image.jpeg

the memories i take away from the old library are those of constant out of order lifts and excalators...cold damp smelly building with buckets dotted around to catch the leaks but above all a well run library with plenty of staff on hand to go and retrieve archive material while you wait and lots of records available for the public to look at which we do not have out on display now...it was a library fit for purpose then despite its structural and electrical faults...was that really only 3 years ago?? now we have to wait 4 weeks plus just for them to email back a reply regarding an archive look up then most likely another 2 weeks wait for an appointment to go and view the said material...and we were promised that when the new library was built the archives section would not suffer..lord knows how many times i moaned about the design of it and its imperfections but i would willingly ignore all that now so long as the folk of birmingham had a library that worked for us....the old saying " be careful what you wish for " springs to mind now...

lyn

Last edited:

Attachments

• 8th March 2016 Tuesday 0018.jpg
    8th March 2016 Tuesday 0018.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 8th March 2016 Tuesday 0019.jpg
    8th March 2016 Tuesday 0019.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 8th March 2016 Tuesday 0022.jpg
    8th March 2016 Tuesday 0022.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 13