• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

Well my version of the photo says that it is Icknield St.

Phil

]
74505dfa.jpg

Cheers Phil I got it out of an old Brum mag it didn,t say where it was.Yours is much better quality.

well done Lyn you were first to get it. Dek

what years would these have been taken? As I've mentioned before, my grandad was a conductor,then driver and - in moms loft again - we found his route diary, listing all the details of the journeys he made, but can't remember what number the buses were, will have another look - the diary was dated 1942.
Sue

what years would these have been taken? As I've mentioned before, my grandad was a conductor,then driver and - in moms loft again - we found his route diary, listing all the details of the journeys he made, but can't remember what number the buses were, will have another look - the diary was dated 1942.
Sue
I would guess these pictures were taken early-mid '60's,or possibly very late (1958-9) '50's.I say this by taking note of the cars in the pictures,one showa a Mini which wasn't produced until 1959.All the other cars are also of this era..........................Mal

Cheers Phil I got it out of an old Brum mag it didn,t say where it was.Yours is much better quality.

well done Lyn you were first to get it. Dek

crikey dek i dont usually get them....well thats another one to my collection..ickneild st pics are thin on the groung...brilliant...

lyn

Re 2761 on the Inner Circle 8 - I think it's Ickneild St at Lodge Rd junction - the former tramway overhead support pole has it's city coat of arms facing Lodge Rd, where the tram route ran.

Last edited:
Interesting Video of Birmingham buses and trams and Midland Red FEDD in 1935 just been posted https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36652. Would be interested if anyone can identify coach near end which is rear entrance.

I think the date is closer to the Coronation of King George VI on 12th May, 1937 - note all the union flags on display.
The old coach near the end I think I have researched before - it says on the back "Hunter, 6 Shady Lane Aston", and was probably on a works service from somewhere.

Well my version of the photo says that it is Icknield St.

Phil

Re the picture of the No 8 bus. It turns out that we were all wrong on location because I would have agreed with Lloyd that it was the junction of Icknield St and Lodge Rd. I met the gentleman who took the photo at the Birmingham Lives Fair on Sunday and he said it was the juntion of Monument Road and Icknield Port Road and the picture was taken the week that President Kennedy died. The building on the left of the picture was the Ladywood branch of the Birmingham Municipal Bank

hi david
yes you are quite correct it was the ickneild port rd and the building it was passing was correct it was te munical bank
and it was 1958 ; and the corner of monument rd and it had just passed the deers leep pub which was on the other corner of ickneild port rd
i can recall it very vividly and reconised it straight away with out queering it in my mind i used to run up there to the bank for a mrs pearson
whom ran our local shop five doors from our house to bank her money or even fetch change when we lived in king edwards rd
well done dave ; best wishes astonian

1530 was a standard post war AEC/Daimler based at Harborne which presumably had been sold to Andy's coaches.

I do not think it is 1530. This was very badly damaged after turning over and was scrapped by BCT. I have a picture of 1630 together with CVP 221 at Andy's, although 1630 is not as painted as Ragga's picture

Yes I think you are correct Tardebigge, looking at the photo closer the bus has the greater radius on the window corners so it cannot be from the 1481 - 1555 series.

I had forgotten that Andy's ran a driving school as well as their coach business so this bus probably had L plates on it.

View attachment 68911

Where was the actual terminis in Sheldon ?? the only one i remember was over looking the
airport by the City boundary and it was quite open with a lot of greenary .
ragga :)

See attached picture taken from Google

View attachment 68912

This was a turning circle on the city boundary as BCT buses did not go to the airport becaue that was Midland Red territory. As Coventry Road was served by trolley buses, I presume that this was designed as a turning circle for the trollies.

Yes i stated that terminis david , but the photo i posted does not look like that terminis .
could it possible be somewhere else in sheldon ??

Hello there, ragga,
If I remember correctly, the Wimbush's bread cum cake shop which can be seen to the right of the bus was on the corner of Arden Oak Road. The road layout has been changed somewhat. David (db)

The Terminus that David has posted is not the original I can remember it being built, about half a mile closer to town there was a pub on the left (I can,t remember it,s name or is it still there) opposite was a small row of shops this I believe is the location on the Photo. Dek

Thank you dek / lloyd / db / and David , so if thats arden oak road the bus standing at
the terminus is outside the Arden oak pub ??

Yes Ragga Just out of shot on the left was a shop I often used Priory Cycles there was another cycle shop just 200 yds down the road on the Robin Hood island can,t remember that ones name.

Regards the Arden Oak Pub extensive road works were carried out between the Wheatsheaf and the airport I think the original pub may have been demolished and a new one built late 60s early 70s. Dek

Back