• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

An aerial view dated 1920 unfortunately low res. Mansfield Road runs from top centre to Birchfield Road running diagonally from top right. There appears to be a house set back on Birchfield Road opposite Mansfield Rd.
MansfieldRd_BirchfieldRd.jpg
The pic below (again low res) is a screenshot from a film taken from a tram looking up towards Six Ways. There is a gap on the right behind the building with the 'Greys' advert The house Banjo mentioned must be slightly special and not with the others built directly on the road.
ChainWk.jpg
Unfortunately these pics don't answer Banjo's query ... :)

A few references to Mansfield House although you may already have them.

Attachments

• mansfield-house-1889.jpg
    mansfield-house-1889.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 10
  • mansfield-house-1878.jpg
    mansfield-house-1878.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 9
  • mansfield-house-1877.jpg
    mansfield-house-1877.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 10
I wrote this 6 years ago but have since discovered that this house was once known as Mansfield House. When I lived there in 1959 it had been split into two. I lived with a Family in 28A and presumably the timber merchant was 28B Birchfield Road. I made an image from memory of what it sort of looked like at that time. I would really appreciate any info from the Forum on this house as I can't find anything myself online. P.S Finally got the hang of photo positioning.

View attachment 157885View attachment 157887
Hell Banjo,

I think I did remember Harry Bastables shop, mostly because I went to the Speedway quite frequently In the mid late 50’s. Used to remember to remember the riders with and against us.

What a contrast between 1889 and 1950, Lozells Grove becomes Lozells Grove Terrace and I wonder if any of the 100+ trees survived. Mansfield house gives up a major part of its garden for housing and as Banjo has said was split into 2 houses. On the 1950 map the trees are only worthy of display in the parks and other recreational areas.

Attachments

• birchfield-1889-1950.jpg
    birchfield-1889-1950.jpg
    966 KB · Views: 15
In the 1881 census, Edward Preston (in post #1710 living at Mansfield House) is shown as resident at No. 30 Birchfield Road, most probably Mansfield House itself. He is listed as a master rule maker with 83 employees, perhaps he was a trustee of the Ladies' College, Ashted Row. He appears to have been on the Aston Local Board.

Attachments

• edward-preston-1881.jpg
    edward-preston-1881.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 4
A few references to Mansfield House although you may already have them.
Thank you brummy-lad, I couldn't find anything myself. I had to smile at the first attachment. Stable? saddle room? conservatory? tennis lawn? Needless to say, none of those things were there in 1959. In fact, it was pretty run down then. I still remember an unused tiled bathroom with a rusty bath. The toilet used was outside in the back yard. There must have been prior building work inside the house to fill in the centre wall that separated the two halves.

Unfortunately it looks as though Mansfield House suffered the same demise as Guildford House, they must have been superb accommodation for the wealthy when they were first built. A stable and tennis court, what luxury.
Such a shame we don't have drawings of Mansfield House similar to those of Guildford House, I bet there are some out there somewhere.

Unfortunately it looks as though Mansfield House suffered the same demise as Guildford House, they must have been superb accommodation for the wealthy when they were first built. A stable and tennis court, what luxury.
Such a shame we don't have drawings of Mansfield House similar to those of Guildford House, I bet there are some out there somewhere.
The only Mansfield House now is a block of flats in Chelmsley Wood. I've found a census from 1891 which actually states Edward Preston of Mansfield House. This was the son of Edward Preston 1798-1883 who went on to change the company to Edward Preston & Sons, the famous hand tool manufacturer. When the reference library opens I shall research more.
Edward Preston Jnr 1891 copy.jpgCatalogue 1901.jpg

This aerial view shows what I think are the former premises of Edward Preston & Sons Ltd. on Cheston Road, although part of the building on the right hand side appears to have been replaced.

Attachments

• edward-preston-premises.jpg
    edward-preston-premises.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 13
It was the Star Hotel, and seems to have been built in the late 1880s
I was born in the Porchester Arms and moved to the Star Hotel in 1962 with my family at the age of 2 and lived there till it was demolished. The landlord was Sidny Chilton

I was born in the Porchester Arms and moved to the Star Hotel in 1962 with my family at the age of 2 and lived there till it was demolished. The landlord was Sidny Chilton
hi m chilton and welcome...which porchester arms would that be...think i only know of the one at the top of porchester st if it is that pub we have 2 or 3 photos of it on the porchester street thread

lyn

Last edited:
Birchfield Road Nostalgia …
The road was the main route into town from where I lived and old forum pics bring back many memories. I first travelled as a young child on Midland Red Front Entrance Double Deck buses ... there's one behind the tram.
1c_No6 Tram Birchfield Rd.JPG

From Perry Barr we often travelled on a number 6 tram into town. Trams stood in the middle of the road at the terminus and we had to walk out to them dodging traffic. The ride was always exciting as they rattled along - bells ringing - electric motors humming - and open balconies which kids liked ...
2c_2_PBtram.jpg

The Luftwaffe bombed Brum in November 1940 and the corner of Mansfield Road took a hit which stopped the trams going into town that day!
3_BirchfieldRd1940 (1).jpg

I went to both cinemas on Birchfield Road ... the slightly posh Odeon and the not so posh Birchfield Picture House.
4_Odeon.jpg
5_BirchfieldCinema.jpg

To combat the severity of rationing in ww2, British Restaurants were opened to sell basic meals at reasonable prices off-ration. I was taken into one next to the Birchfield Cinema The building was still there in 1959 as a restaurant..
5a_BritishRestaurant.jpg
5b_britrest.JPG

Aged ten, I cycled into town on my junior bike and fell off as I was leaving Birchfield Road at Six Ways when my front wheel went in the tram tracks. It was a tricky crossing with traffic from six directions and no traffic lights. I was a bit shaken so sat on those bank steps before walking my bike back home.
6_Colour_six_ways.jpg

I sometimes walked the length of Birchfield Road on the way home from school when thick fog stopped some buses and the trams were full. Simulated pic below shows how it looked! We called them 'peasouper' fogs ... but thankfully we don't get them these days !
7_BirchfieldRdFog.jpg

In my late teens I bought a motor scooter and could thread my way through monster traffic jams at Aston Lane and Trinity Road.
8_PerryBarrthen.jpeg
7_Near_Trinity__Rd.jpg

On the day they opened the Perry Barr underpass in April 1962 I rode my motor scooter through it twice ... just for fun.
9_Birchfield_Underpass_April_1962.jpg

In 1964 I bought a green Hillman Imp car and sped through the underpass only to be sat in the traffic jam towards Trinity Road.
10_Birchfield_Rd_jam.jpg

Eventually they built the Walsall Road flyover allowing me to speed over outbound traffic turning into Aldridge Road and later the Trinity Road flyover was built and I could speed the whole length of Birchfield Road hardly noticing it. Times were good for car owners!
11_PBFlyover_1974.jpg
12_TrinityRd.jpg

There was a lot of visible concrete in Birchfield Road .... ;)

Great photos and lovely memories!
I can't remember the trams, do you know when the service was closed?
Went to both Cinemas a few times and I was in the crowd somewhere the day they opened the underpass, we were taken up from Birchfield Road Juniors.

Great photos and lovely memories!
I can't remember the trams, do you know when the service was closed?
Went to both Cinemas a few times and I was in the crowd somewhere the day they opened the underpass, we were taken up from Birchfield Road Juniors.
The No 6 tram service closure in 1949 and there is a nice pic of one taken 10 years earlier in the Electric Trams Thread in post#257. A post #528 from 'Radiorails' gives more detail about the closure.
Many Birchfield Road tram pics in the above thread.

A lot of my memories there too we used to come on the 29 bus to Perry Bar then catch the 6 tram to Six Ways to visit our grandparents in Barton's Bank and Aunt Ada in Victoria Road.
I might have mentioned before my younger brother Gordon demolished some of the brickwork with his car on the underpass while the bricklayers were still working on it.

The road was the main route into town from where I lived and old forum pics bring back many memories. I first travelled as a young child on Midland Red Front Entrance Double Deck buses ... there's one behind the tram.
View attachment 159049

From Perry Barr we often travelled on a number 6 tram into town. Trams stood in the middle of the road at the terminus and we had to walk out to them dodging traffic. The ride was always exciting as they rattled along - bells ringing - electric motors humming - and open balconies which kids liked ...
View attachment 159050

The Luftwaffe bombed Brum in November 1940 and the corner of Mansfield Road took a hit which stopped the trams going into town that day!
View attachment 159051

I went to both cinemas on Birchfield Road ... the slightly posh Odeon and the not so posh Birchfield Picture House.
View attachment 159052
View attachment 159053

To combat the severity of rationing in ww2, British Restaurants were opened to sell basic meals at reasonable prices off-ration. I was taken into one next to the Birchfield Cinema The building was still there in 1959 as a restaurant..
View attachment 159054
View attachment 159055

Aged ten, I cycled into town on my junior bike and fell off as I was leaving Birchfield Road at Six Ways when my front wheel went in the tram tracks. It was a tricky crossing with traffic from six directions and no traffic lights. I was a bit shaken so sat on those bank steps before walking my bike back home.
View attachment 159056

I sometimes walked the length of Birchfield Road on the way home from school when thick fog stopped some buses and the trams were full. Simulated pic below shows how it looked! We called them 'peasouper' fogs ... but thankfully we don't get them these days !
View attachment 159059

In my late teens I bought a motor scooter and could thread my way through monster traffic jams at Aston Lane and Trinity Road.
View attachment 159061
View attachment 159060

On the day they opened the Perry Barr underpass in April 1962 I rode my motor scooter through it twice ... just for fun.
View attachment 159062

In 1964 I bought a green Hillman Imp car and sped through the underpass only to be sat in the traffic jam towards Trinity Road.
View attachment 159063

Eventually they built the Walsall Road flyover allowing me to speed over outbound traffic turning into Aldridge Road and later the Trinity Road flyover was built and I could speed the whole length of Birchfield Road hardly noticing it. Times were good for car owners!
View attachment 159064
View attachment 159065

Great memories oldMohaw, I traveled in your footsteps many times. Heath fold Rd to Trinity to Birchfield and on to Brooke Tool across from the Speedway. First on my bike and then on my motorcycle. And yes I did get my front wheel of my bike stuck in the tram tracks at six ways twice until I smartened up!
Thanks for sharing.......

View attachment 159049

View attachment 159050

View attachment 159051

View attachment 159052
View attachment 159053

View attachment 159054
View attachment 159055

View attachment 159056

View attachment 159059

View attachment 159061
View attachment 159060

View attachment 159062

View attachment 159063

View attachment 159064
View attachment 159065

Amazing photos, so much to look at. Bought back many memories of my bus travels from Great Barr into the City Centre. Fantastic, thank you oldMohawk. There looks to be more traffic and road congestion then! Jen.

Thanks OM what a fantastic photo montage, brought back a few memorie, Odeon for the films one or two weeks after they had been in the City Centre Cinemas, Birchfield (like the Star, (Slade Road), the Picture House (Erdington) and countless other non-posh cinemas, scattered throughout the city suburbs. Do you remember the cinema listings in the evening Mail, looking at what was on elsewhere and working out if you could get there and back in the evening. Found some interesting cinemas that way. Caugh up with a lot of old films as well, particularly on a Sunday. In the school holiday 0f 1948, at the age of 12 did a tour of the remaining tram routes, including riding No 6 on the 6 route in the open front. Sometimes went to town via 107/113 from Oscott College, cost more, but different buses of course. Front wheel in the tram tracks on a wet day, this group of pictures have brought back memories. I am trying to remember if at any time during the early forties when we were going to see a relative who lived above Perry Barr and used the Midland Red because it was quicker than 5a to Witton, 11 to Perry Barr and then another bus that I cannot remember, if the Midland Red (old BHAs) were in the pre war Red, Cream and Silver roof or not. Anyone got a date when the livery changed? \but got a few goosebumps today.

\bob

When it first opened it was Aston Technical College, transferred from Whitehead Road. I was studying HND Electrical Engineering there up to 1965 and my certificate says Aston Technical College.
I worked there, Whitehead Road and studied for an HNC In Elect. Eng. 1968/69. I've searched the Webb for any mention of it or any pictures and can't find anything, it's as though it never existed. There was also an annex at Berners Street, it was an old church building. Do you have any info or advise where I can look further. I know it was knocked down for new housing in 80's?

I worked there, Whitehead Road and studied for an HNC In Elect. Eng. 1968/69. I've searched the Webb for any mention of it or any pictures and can't find anything, it's as though it never existed. There was also an annex at Berners Street, it was an old church building. Do you have any info or advise where I can look further. I know it was knocked down for new housing in 80's?
I found these pictures.

Attachments

• Aston Tech Whithead rd.jpeg
    Aston Tech Whithead rd.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 51
  • BernerStAstonTech.jpg
    BernerStAstonTech.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 51
Welcome to the Forum Phil, a great place enjoy! I did the same at Handsworth Tech a few years ahead of you only ME!

Back