• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

debi

Brummie babby
could any one out there please help me find out the history of my shop ? i run the hairdressers on birchfield road perry barr opposite one stop called indigo blue. a few days ago i was looking at old photos of perry barr and saw one of the row of shops which mine is in the middle. i couldn't quite see my salon so it would be really interesting to see photos or read stories about what it once was especially 1950's 60's and 70's.
thanks x

The only shop I remember well was DODDS the tool & hardwear store were I bought most of my tool when a GEC Apprentice (joined there tool club). It was the first shop in that row on the left looking towards the City, was there not a BANK at the other end opposite the New Crown & Cushion, somewere before the bank was The Old Crown & Cushion

A painting I did of Birchfield Road, the bank is on the corner, Aston, and Dodds was below it.

If my memory serves me right Di,  that Bank was THE OLD MUNICIPAL BANK (later the TSB).In later years was there not a large shopping square over the road from Dodd's, it name escapes me at the moment I think it was next to the railway station? :-\
Used to go in to Wellington Rd for my Garden bedding  from Hirons? plant's (I think thats how its spelt).
This is another one of those Topics that gets the old grey matter pulling out pictures in one's mind, its amaazing What one as forgoten thats  still at the back of your memory banks,just needs the trigger to have it all come flooding back! O0
Great Picture again Di. :smitten:
ASTON

thanks for all your replies it was great to see your picture Di what was Astons i know now that Dodds must have been where Papaya cafe is now. John, my shop number is 365, thanks. ;D

Not very good Pics but this is the  TSB Bank & SHOPS looking towards Walsall.Also the shops.

Welcome Debi
In 1949 , no. 365 was Albt. C. Callis , Cooked Meat Dealer

Colin

I got to know Birchfield Rd, quite well in the 40s
walked up and down there 100s of times trying to get ciggies
for the motley crew of builder's where I was employed as an apprentice.
Like Aston, I bought a lot of my tools from Dodd's and also
used to take the picks and crowbars to be sharpened
at the Blacksmith in Welling ton Road,also taking timesheets
to the offices at #316, just opposite the Odeon

Aston,
next to the railway on the left hand side,
was "Kings" cafe, the other side of the railway,
was the Perry Barr Greyhound Track

Back