• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Barr Beacon

Hi nursesue. Found this photo of my aunt Phyliss in her nurses uniform when she worked at St Margarets hospital. I used to love dressing up in mine and pretending I was my aunt. My poor teddy bear was always covered in bandages and zinc and castor oil. Jean.

thanks Gee Gee Jean - such great photos of a bygone era. Such a pity thats all thats left of a great place

The main entrance to the old St Margarets Grounds, now called Nether Hall Park, have more of the old buildings (in time)
the bluebells on the site are putting on a good show

Back to Barr Beacon and away from the macabre! Do any of you remember the guy who used to sell the hot dogs on The Beacon late at night to all the lovers in cars. 3 or 4 pork sausages on a roll - fantastic! My wife and I use to go there regularly before we were married - especially for the hot dogs of course!!

Dave I left there age 15 and away for a few years, not behind Bars

The Great Barr Hall my first time on seeing it in 2006 born might be half a mile from it, and what the place was to us youngsters

Dave

Come on hands up, who was there the night the hot dog van burnt down!

The night I remember the most was on the way to Barr Beacon we ran into an owl in Pinfold lane. [What a thud] Sent an hour trying to find the poor thing. Too late for afters so went back home. Jean.

Oh I see what you mean Dave. I used to keep my horses at Foxhills and went to check on them. we were going to call in the Cat and Fiddle on the way home. Jean.

Have a look on the first page. Dolly Ferret has pictures of that very pub maties. Bye got to sort something out for tea tonight. Jean.

Hi Mike,
There should be a pub up there. After all it is called Bar(r) Beacon!!!

Last edited:
I took the grandkids to Bar Beacon on Friday I had forgotten how magnificent this structure is!

thanks Dolly its not changed one bit i spent lots of hours up there in the 50s wont tell you what i was doing lol Allen

Lovely photo Dave its a shame it doesn't look that nice now. I heard they are going to restore it and tidy the area.

Yes they are Wendy. Carl Chinn was there a few months ago on radio WM and spoke to some of the comitte members. We go there a couple of times a week with our little dog and visit the poultry meat and veg farms. It is sickening to see dog poo all over the place. It costs £1 for a large pack of black doggy bags. Lovely views. Jean.

Back