• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barr Beacon

F

Frantic

Is Barr Beacon still a 'Country' area or is it all built-up? We used to cycle there as kids, but the last bit was murder. On yer bike Dollyferret, mind yer don't have a heart attack.......better take a bottle of oxygen with yer.....just in case.

It is of course semi rural, as well you know 'young' Frantic, and we already know you used to cycle up there by the initials carved into the trees.
such as...Frantic loves Ralph, Frantic loves big Dave, Frantic loves Jeremy etc..

Dammit sirrah........can a man have no secrets:surprised:

imagine yer on my crossbar,first place we see on the way to barr beacon,perry barr dog track,aldridge rd,going past THE DRUM ,top of the hill woodyard on the left and the asda,bottom of the hill the old horns

last pic was other side of the pub looking towards beacon,the pub had to go in several times to ask directions:D the asda opposite the pub (if you havent been back its on the left as you come down aldridge rd towards the OLD HORNS

Last edited by a moderator:
oh dear yet ANOTHER PUB several more direction enquiries view up collingwood drive from outside the pub

the stables on the left just past the school,views right and up the hill

now lots of pics of views and trees,dont bother fast forwarding as its still more trees and views ,the last three are from the top looking left ,straight on ,then right

caravan park below,pigs in the distance the pork farm shop

wakey wakey,now we have some building and ,yes more views

far end and driving back down the hill,back to the pub frank,didnt need the oxygen ,just slipped that frothy head of the GUINESS,you can walk back:D :D :D

Very nice to see those pics of Barr Beacon, which I'm sure most of us have good memories of. I was particularly pleased to see that the domed stand or pavilion or whatever you call it is still up there. The few times I've been round there in the last ten years or more I've not been able to see it - is it that there are more trees to hide it, or has it been rebuilt? It used to dominate the horizon when seen from Streetly or Walsall.
I often used to cycle up there when I had an hour or so to spare. I used to love studying the panorama of the Black Country from the top. It took me about 20 minutes to get there from home, off the Hawthorn Road.
Peter

Fantastic Pete, I'm suprised that it has not been built up around there. I noticed that there was even some of that green stuff lying around on the ground.......most unusual.

Well THANKS a LOT Pete!
the 10,000 miles driving I just spent doing exactly the same thing for my buddy (choke) Frantic is well down the pan now! lol
swine! :)

wondered why I was feeling flushed........thought it was a mid-life thing.

I CAN'T believe you said that! sniff, choke, blubbers..
I love you Frank...(wink)

Gosh' I'd forgotten what it was like. I was tole it was next point due east as high was theUrals!

Back