• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Banana warehouse/bbc masterchef building

Seanyb1986

master brummie
Im sean, im a digger driver from birmingham that likes my history, last year i was working on the beorma quarter, some may remember me
Well from today i am working on the old banana warehouse as it becomes part of the new bbc complex
Some very interesting old bits of archaeology here, lovely old building
Updates as we go

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230830_100028_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230830_100028_Samsung Internet.jpg
    949.8 KB · Views: 39
Good to hear from you again Sean. This might be of help. Look forward to any historical info you can post. Viv

No it it the file not the camera.
Look here for how to resize

If you can't then come back and we will see if the files can be emailed.

hi sean welcome back..if you are still having problems posting photos i can send you my email add via private message..you can email the photos to me and i will happily post them for you...just say the word

lyn

Just been reading about Geest premises I knew of in Lincolnshire where staff could remember snakes also. This banana importer had ripening sheds in different parts of the country. So was the Birmingham warehouse also a ripening shed or was it just a link in the transportation of bananas?

Phyllis Nicklin captured the warehouse in late 1968 (see blue dot behind the bridge. Original photo also attached). Her photograph was of the Digbeth Branch Canal and the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal looking east towards the Rea Valley. The viewpoint was from the railway embankment at the Gun Barrel Proof House (on the right), near Curzon Street and Fazeley Street.

Today (well at least the view from one year ago) you can get down onto the towpath via Google Streetview here

Birmingham, England

Viv.

Screenshot_20230902_095935_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902_101459_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_101459_Gallery.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Took some screenshots from Streetview (one year ago) There's a Heron or Crane in one! There were 8 green iron pillars.and the section of towpath opposite the warehouse looks like it still has the original blue bricks, although sections further along are newer. Suspect it has an asbestos roof (?). And there's 'Welcome BBC' graffiti on the hoarding

Viv.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902_103321_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_103321_Maps.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230902_103038_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_103038_Samsung Internet.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20230902_103015_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_103015_Samsung Internet.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20230902_102956_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_102956_Samsung Internet.jpg
    674.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20230902_102918_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_102918_Samsung Internet.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230902_102821_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_102821_Samsung Internet.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 8
Took some screenshots from Streetview (one year ago) There's a Heron or Crane in one! There were 8 green iron pillars.and the section of towpath opposite the warehouse looks like it still has the original blue bricks, although sections further along are newer. Suspect it has an asbestos roof (?). And there's 'Welcome BBC' graffiti on the hoarding

Viv.
Love the views of the heron. Great reminder of how the canals can be ‘green corridors’ into our cities. Tinpot

Hi all, i havnt sorted uploading my pictures yet but i will soon, i have been trying to source old os maps and/or old pictures of the area, i will basically be digging up around the whole site pictured, around the juction works, banana warehouse, and the old fellows morton and clayton basin, all will be dug down and resurfaced, any old pictures of the areas or buildings would be much appreciated to help me guess what is under all of the concrete before i dig, lots of oily ground and water in the small trial holes i have dug so far
You probably wouldn't notice the warehouse off Fazeley Street, but it's grade 2 statutorily listed. What a fascinating site. Viv.

View attachment 183796View attachment 183797

Would be very interested in the buildings on the banana warehouse site before the building that stands now

We are only starting but i think this dig is going to be very interesting, LOTS of old cobblestones being dug up, and old footings of buildings, then we have various old filled in canal basins to find, if anybody wants some cobblestones then let me know

hi sean...what is the actual address of where you are digging...i am trying to find an older map for you to see what was there before the banana warehouse but maybe other members can find on

lyn

The address is quite a muddle, junction works, minerva works, warwick wharf, warwick bar, 106/170 fazeley street and all in between, fazeley industrial estate, lots of diffrtent buildings and addresses to find info on

Back