• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

AVERY SCALES HISTORY

Sean - there are several threads where the demo/archaeology of the Park St/Digbeth site has come up in discussion. EllBrown took quite a few photos of the site where the George pub and the Music Hall once stood on the corner of Park Street. They may or may not be of interest but I’m posting the two main ones here as a quick link.

Viv.

Reproducing Sean’s Fire Insurance Map (1885 ish) from the previous thread, and adding one for the southern side of Digbeth (turned 180 deg)

View attachment 176196

View attachment 176198
Looking at this fire map again, the outline for 135/136/137 looks as it is now, as does 138, we also have the base to the candle factory (the awkward angles match the base i've found) at a slightly higher level (a step up) from our base in 138, so in my opinion this could be undisturbed ground for a long long time (before this map), now all is uncovered it all looks right to this map to me

I noticed from the Avery Scales website that the museum at Soho Foundry has now closed. Does anyone know what's happened to all the exhibits, especially the weighbridge? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I noticed from the Avery Scales website that the museum at Soho Foundry has now closed. Does anyone know what's happened to all the exhibits, especially the weighbridge? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
hi pen its been closed for a few years now i think...no idea where the exhibits are but they could still be in the building...shame it closed as i fancied a visit

lyn

Thanks Lyn. I thought that would be the case.

Graham and a friend are looking into John Wyatt's inventions at the moment so I'll do a bit of emailing to see if there is any hope of visiting. If we do manage to get in I'll let you know so that you can come too. It's a faint hope but nothing ventured....!

Penny

Thanks Lyn. I thought that would be the case.

Graham and a friend are looking into John Wyatt's inventions at the moment so I'll do a bit of emailing to see if there is any hope of visiting. If we do manage to get in I'll let you know so that you can come too. It's a faint hope but nothing ventured....!

Penny
thanks pen...

lyn

see also

#138 Digbeth (Avery’s) was designed in 1936 by Samuel Nathaniel Cooke according to the Midlands Pubs site - extract below and annotated with Digbeth building addresses.

This also ties in with a sale of the lease in 1924, which at that time only had 12 years left on the lease, therefore expiring in 1936. That must have been when the old building was demolished and the current building was erected.

I’ve included in the Midlands Pub extract details of the adjoining building too (#137 Digbeth - once the umbrella maker’s premises for interest).

Viv
B91080AC-D9D1-4FB0-9BF2-404405BE1D76.jpeg
Source: https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/digbeth/

Last edited:
And once the BVSC signs come down we might have some clearer ghost signs. The Phyllis Nicklin 1968 image shows ‘scales’ to the left of the W & T Avery name above the ground floor level shop front.

Viv.

8D140226-4103-4E78-87E2-C3B40BD36D16.jpeg
EBFC9458-1B00-4C3D-83F3-153BA1D307D8.jpeg
Source: Last image extracted from 1968 Phyllis Nicklin image

Just so that I can keep up and get my bearings Sean, am I right in thinking all the later buildings (red arrow) have now gone - ie the rear of #138. (I realise EllBrown’s photo below was taken a few years ago of course). Viv.

DFA29C20-FF0B-42FD-B0ED-8DC4DEF38ED0.jpeg

Back