• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Henry Pooley & Sons

Gordinski

Brummie babby
I'm trying to find any photos or illustrations of the Henry Pooley & Sons factory in Heath Mill Lane. The main factory was listed as being in Liverpool but they transferred to Birmingham. Eventually they were taken over by W. & T. Avery.

Thanks

I was an apprentice at W&T Avery and remember Pooley as being a subsidiary. If I remember correctly they painted their scales green as opposed to the Avery post office red. From what I've seen on Google Avery took over Pooley in 1913

Henry Pooley & Son was famous for having a virtual monopoly of making weighing machines for railway goods yards etc. Many still in existance especially in preserved railways.

Head office moved to 72 John Bright Street. Company was absorbed by Avery's in 1913 but continued to trade as a separate firm.

It's a while since I went down Heath Mill Lane but there are still quite a few old factories there. If no one comes up with a phot of factory perhaps some one could check location via trade directory - just possible that factory is still there and could check on Google Maps/street view or have a walk down there?

I asked as I was looking later than that, but looking at Kellys directory for earlier period (date is publication date and probably referes to year before)
Pooley Henry & Son Limited,, scale & weighing, machine makers, 82 Worcester St
Pooley Henry & Son Lim. scale & weighing machine makers, 11 Temple street; 84 Latimer street & Liverpool street.TN701; T A "Pooley, Birmingham"
Pooley Henry & Son Lim. -weighbridge manfrs. also scale & weighing machine makers, 11 Temple street; 8 Bull Ring & Albion scale works, Brook st Smethwick; show room,Victoria buildings. High street, Smethwick. T N's 701 k 4,055 Central; T A " Pooley, Birmingham"
Pooley Henry & Son Limited, weighbridge manufacturers, also scale & weighing machine makers, Borough buildings, John" Bright street; show rooms, 52 & 53 Dig-• beth & 2841",'High Street, Smethwick. T N 1,737 Midland (3 lines); T A " Pooley, Birmingham"

None Hesth mill lane, but it looks like they were in Liveroool st, which crosses Heath mill lane. The street listing is below:
Kellys 1904 liverpool st.jpg
and a map c 1904

map c1904 area between  Liverpool st and  canal.jpg
From this is it can be seen that they were somewhere in the area of the map between Liverpool St and the Canal. Assuming, as is reasonable and probable, that the order of firms in the directory is correct then the two factories marked as tube manufacturers can be eliminated as the site, and the "cycle works" is probably Lanchester. this means that the Pololey factory is probably on the site , marked with a red marker, next to the cycle works. This would seem to be confirmed as by the 1910 edition Pooley has disappeared , but all the others are still listed
No help with a photo though

When was this.?
Thanks for the info that's brilliant. I looked at Grace's Guide and there it notes the factory in Liverpool was closed down. plant auctioned and the production moved to a factory they had aquiored in Kidsgrove, Staffs in . Eventually they were absorbed by W. T. Avery.
The machine I was investigating was one supplied to the GWR Works in Swindon ( now the Swindon Designer Outlet), but I have no record of when and the plate on the scales is now illegible.

Pooley Platform Scale resized.jpg

Thanks for your help and the map.

I googled Pooley weighbridge after seeing this on our walk today , saw your site and thought it maybe of interest to you. I don’t know if I’m posting in the correct place, maybe admin could post it in the correct place.
It’s a weighbridge in a place called Glyncorrwg which is an ex mining village here in South Wales. The weighbridge location is right next to the railway line which brought the coal from the colliery . I saw some old photographs today with coal lorries on the weighbridge here is the photograph which I took today .

Im sorry I’ve tried to send just an ordinary photograph probably about 3 meg but the server said it is too large which is silly, I did try

Welcome Roger. In addition to Janice’s suggestion, here are our standard instructions on uploading images.

I’m moving your thread to our general discussion section.

Viv.

Welcome Roger. In addition to Janice’s suggestion, here are our standard instructions on uploading images.

I’m moving your thread to our general discussion section.

Viv.
Thanks Viv , it’s a job to read the writing , I didn’t want to reduce the resolution otherwise it maybe come unreadable .
R

There is a thread for Henry Pooley and Son here...

I asked as I was looking later than that, but looking at Kellys directory for earlier period (date is publication date and probably referes to year before)
Pooley Henry & Son Lim. scale & weighing machine makers, 11 Temple street; 84 Latimer street & Liverpool street.TN701; T A "Pooley, Birmingham"
Pooley Henry & Son Lim. -weighbridge manfrs. also scale & weighing machine makers, 11 Temple street; 8 Bull Ring & Albion scale works, Brook st Smethwick; show room,Victoria buildings. High street, Smethwick. T N's 701 k 4,055 Central; T A " Pooley, Birmingham"
Pooley Henry & Son Limited, weighbridge manufacturers, also scale & weighing machine makers, Borough buildings, John" Bright street; show rooms, 52 & 53 Dig-• beth & 2841",'High Street, Smethwick. T N 1,737 Midland (3 lines); T A " Pooley, Birmingham"

None Hesth mill lane, but it looks like they were in Liveroool st, which crosses Heath mill lane. The street listing is below:
View attachment 149742
and a map c 1904

View attachment 149741
From this is it can be seen that they were somewhere in the area of the map between Liverpool St and the Canal. Assuming, as is reasonable and probable, that the order of firms in the directory is correct then the two factories marked as tube manufacturers can be eliminated as the site, and the "cycle works" is probably Lanchester. this means that the Pololey factory is probably on the site , marked with a red marker, next to the cycle works. This would seem to be confirmed as by the 1910 edition Pooley has disappeared , but all the others are still listed
Thanks for all the information.

I was looking at a U Tube video of Dinorwic Quarry near Llanberis. High up in the quarry was a weighing machine made by Henry Pooley. Must be very old and possibly the highest ever Pooley weighing machine. Too high for me to even think of visiting!!

Attachments

• pooley.jpg
    pooley.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 12
Penmorfa.quarry north wales relics

Henry Pooley weigh bridge
pooley.jpg

The weighing of slate and waste rock was a serious matter in the industry,not least because the quarrymens wages were based on the weight of rock extracted. Henry Pooley & sons were the biggest producers of weighing machines and their products could be found in most quarries.

pooley2.jpg

Henry Pooley weigh bridge

Mid-1990s since I was last at Dinorwic Quarry. The main workshops were readily accessible, but a somewhat dodgy climb to the higher reaches. And by then all the ropeways had been taken down.

Maurice :cool:

Mid-1990s since I was last at Dinorwic Quarry. The main workshops were readily accessible, but a somewhat dodgy climb to the higher reaches. And by then all the ropeways had been taken down.

Maurice :cool:
i go there alot our maurice for a mooch and look at the tat it is not far from my 20.had a go at slate braking once:grinning:

View attachment 149742
and a map c 1904

View attachment 149741

Back